Jealous

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Jealous

Postby skins75 » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:21 am

I was in much better spirits yesterday than I have been in quite some time. However, watching the Ravens game last night I couldnt help but be jealous. I just love the way the entire defense attacks the ball. No matter where the ball is thrown or ran to it seems like there are 5 players with Ravens jerseys attacking. We have the talent in our LB's and DB's to be doing this. It is frustrating watching our defense let teams just drive the field on us. We need to decrease the amount of cushion we give to receivers and start bumping them at the line. Why on 3rd and 9 are you giving an 8 yard cushion? We came away with a win today but not due to our inconsistent defense. Not a bad offensive performance today, I think that PR looked a little confused with all the time he had to throw the ball. Hopefully, this is something he can start to get used to. Hey a W is W so I will take it. We better step up the run defense before next week or its going to be a long game in Carolina.

piggie

Postby REDSKINMARK » Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:46 am

If there is one BIG thing that is affecting our D it is all the damned cushion the receivers are constantly getting!

What good does it do us to have two great corners, if we can't have them closer to the line. I'm not talking about jamming the WRs at every play, but it is very apperent that on many plays the DBs are way off the ball and allow a bunch of underneath completions for 1st downs...THIS IS MADDENING!!There is also the corallary affect of causing all the backfield to play more timid with this "read and react" bull.

On a positive note: Thank God for L. Coles!! What a stud, and what a performer. Play after play, this guy catches some of the most uncatchable balls in the league (more so if these punk ass refs call two feet in-bounds and possession on a completed pass).

Good win overall. Darrell Russull is steadily comming around folks. We'll need him, cause I've already heard grumblings from Carolina that Steven D sat out yesterday's game just to be completely healthy for the Skins this weekend. He put it to us in the pre-season, let's not let this happen now. We need two in a row very badly.
HAIL GIBBS' FROM SO CAL. MAY HE BRING THE TOUGHNESS AND PROFESSIONALISM THAT WE HAVE BEEN LACKING!!

Brown in the Hall

Postby NC43Hog » Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:29 pm

One Big "D" issue is the way the (mostly DB's) wait for the ball to come to them on running and short pass plays. Running backs with a full head of steam are running over them - they need to be more aggressive and pursue - yes it is riskier but hell, we are getting beat pretty good off the line anyway. Go After the Ball Carrier and deliver the hit rather than receiving it.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:30 pm

One of the main reasons for this, I believe is the defensive scheme Edwards is running. He does a lot of Cover 2, which is the D that Tampa made famous (yes it has been around a while - they just were really good at it). The problem is we don't have a 4 man pass rush normally, although we did get 3 line sacks yesterday, which was great.

The LB and DB play off and kind of fan out, keeping everyone under them then react to a run rather than attacking the run with 7 and dropping 4 in man coverage.

It really hurts when we don't take off after the ball carrier before he gets to the line - 2 seconds after the hike and the LB are just reacting and the RB are hitting the line. They have a head start and our LB are not able to make plays. Bowen and Iffy are two of the 5 leading tacklers on the team, and in a strong run defense you don't see the safeties with as many tackles as the LB.

I hate when the DBs back off past the 1st down marker on say a third and 4 play - I hate that...
Rich in Roanoke

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:37 pm

man, I hate that too!
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:59 pm

Another thing, why is it our DBs are always behind the players catching the ball, not beside or in front of making a deflection or interception? It seems that it is still a part of "Playing not to lose" mantra that Edwards seems to chant. I hate the WR of the opponents always getting 10-20 yard chunks at a time... I lose my voice every damn Sunday on stuff like that.
Rich in Roanoke

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:01 pm

not to mention, the lame play of our DBs on underthrown balls....we finally get a little pressure on the QB and he floats an easy ball to pick off and we/Champ gives up a huge play, because he's playing the man and not looking back for the ball? what's up with that technique....the only time that technique should be used is when you're burnt. Champ shouldn't be getting burnt....and should have defended that pass or for that matter picked it off.
We'll miss you, Joe.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:25 pm

Champ didn't exactly look like the 'best CB in the league' on that play did he?
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:22 pm

no sir....he didn't even look like "one" of the best

I don't know about everyone else, but Smoot's play, heart and attitude have won me over big time in recent weeks. I used to wonder about his size and mouth, but now know he brings it on every play and am glad we've got him.

As everyone has said, I'd love to see our corners press (and maybe bump) on the line of scrimmage to stop giving up first downs, particularly on 3rd downs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football