2019 Offseason Chatter

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 9402
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

2019 Offseason Chatter

Postby riggofan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:24 am

Just starting a new thread for this misc. stuff that probably doesn't belong in the NFL Draft thread anymore.

Cool bit from Keim this morning.


The surprise offseason standout for all 32 teams
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/269 ... -teams#wsh
Washington Redskins

CB Jimmy Moreland

Moreland intercepted five passes during spring workouts, a result that stems from his instincts and knowing where to be and when. Moreland, a seventh-round pick in April, will be a player to watch this summer as a slot corner. He's quick and tough but will have to show he can handle all the responsibilities in the slot -- including playing the run. There's a lot to learn. For now he's someone who should make the roster and could develop into a solid starter at some point. But for a late-round pick from a smaller school (James Madison), he's off to a terrific start. -- John Keim


Is this really a guy who could be starting at some point this year? That's pretty impressive.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax
"We're on the rise, man, whether you're on the train or not." - Josh Norman

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 3451
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:20 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Re: 2019 Offseason Chatter

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:29 am

He'll play special teams first and then as soon as someone gets injured (which never happens to the Redskins) he will be starting.
“He was at that time the smartest player in the league. We did everything we could to try to eliminate him from the play. We knew if we didn’t neutralize him, then we had less of a chance of winning.” - John Hannah on Chris Hanburger

piggie
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:54 am

Re: 2019 Offseason Chatter

Postby Sonny9TD » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:23 am

Moreland is the man. Probably better than Norman

CKRGiii
Posts: 6989
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Re: 2019 Offseason Chatter

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:37 pm

Sonny9TD wrote:Moreland is the man. Probably better than Norman



That's silly.

I hope he can make the field... He can return punts but wasnt during OTAs. His knack for the ball is a huge upside- be nice if we can shut down the Cole Beasleys of the game. Shiffty little slot guys always work us it seems.
#21 forever in our hearts
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

piggie
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:54 am

Re: 2019 Offseason Chatter

Postby Sonny9TD » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:14 am

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:
Sonny9TD wrote:Moreland is the man. Probably better than Norman



That's silly.

I hope he can make the field... He can return punts but wasnt during OTAs. His knack for the ball is a huge upside- be nice if we can shut down the Cole Beasleys of the game. Shiffty little slot guys always work us it seems.


What is silly is being brainwashed into thinking Norman is better than Moreland based on Norman's trillion dollar salary and Moreland being a 7th round pick from James Madison instead of seeing the evidence on the field where the action is. Maybe James Madison is the reason he was picked so late. What is silly is you thinking that Norman is so good. What makes you think Norman is so much better? All the holding calls or giving up all those completions? Which one? With this new rule for pass interference Norman is going to get picked on and may have to be replaced. I heard Norman was getting burnt in camp last year all the time. And I saw it with my on eyes in the games.

You don't even have any idea if Norman is better than Moreland. You're making a guess and acting like you do know. Get real and watch the games again if you haven't seen Norman as almost a liability. He isn't much better than any CB we have on the team based on his play on the field.

Watch out there goes the flag. Holding on Norman. Holding is how Norman gets his advantage and he isn't getting away with it any more

I'm giving the nod to Moreland until Norman earns the money even the other CBs are making much less the extra trillion he makes.

The only thing he does really well is cause fumbles at times. He knows how to punch the ball loose. Everywhere else he is only slightly better than average. So far Morland appears to above average and was drafted because we need to improve the secondary and the unearned salary. Norman will be replaced by Moreland at some point guaranteed.

CKRGiii
Posts: 6989
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Re: 2019 Offseason Chatter

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:14 am

Its just a silly statement to make man.. to suggest that Moreland is better then a proven probowler after OTAs is just a reach at best.
We've had this conversation already but I'll indulge ya ;)

Dont get me wrong- I like the kid! I hope he can be a much cheaper alternative to JNo... But dont let his salary fool you, Josh is a leader and great cb. Has he had some frustrating calls? Absolutely! Salary aside... He has shut down top tier wrs, creates turnovers, and plays with an infectious chip. Have we gotten the ROI for his contact?? A case can be made for not even close. But to your point, his contract doesnt reflect his skill level , just what we thought he was worth at the time of signing.
A lot of his troubles have been miscommunication in the back field/ shaky Safety help... Doesnt excuse the egregious penalty flags though.

Can a 7th round rookie become better then a league vet? Of course! Is it likely that on the day one opener this unproven rook is "better" then a previous pro bowler?? Nah man.. He came from a small school and has NEVER faced the top tier WR talent of the NFL... Much less being asked to follow the #1 wr day in and day out.

-Another reason JNo has had ups and downs, we havent had steady CB play behind him so we've asked him to shadow a wr instead of playing his comfortable side.



I think you are basing this off many people saying Haskins is the "best qb" on the team... And part of me agrees with that. He has the highest POTENTIAL but he also lacks what all the Vets have... Experience. Same with Jimmy. Both will have growing pains... But Haskins doesnt have a healthy previous probowler ahead of him on the depth chart- and the only healthy QB is also new to the system. Apples to oranges
#21 forever in our hearts
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 3451
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:20 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Re: 2019 Offseason Chatter

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:13 am

You two already *f$ck* up one thread with this argument. Would it be asking too much for you to keep it confined to that thread instead of *f$ck* up this one, too?
“He was at that time the smartest player in the league. We did everything we could to try to eliminate him from the play. We knew if we didn’t neutralize him, then we had less of a chance of winning.” - John Hannah on Chris Hanburger

Hog
Posts: 484
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:40 pm
Location: UK

Re: 2019 Offseason Chatter

Postby ferryrich » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:22 am

Bored of this. Newcomer has to impress, established starter goes along to help the new kids settle.
It's not worth a comparison, let along an argument about it

CKRGiii
Posts: 6989
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Re: 2019 Offseason Chatter

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:34 am

Meh... I could've let the tongue in cheek "probably better then Norman" response go... An obvious remark intended to stir up the previous conversation.

But why?

Whay else is going on here? What other news is there to talk about? The thread would have gone cold by now any how... Might as well take the bait!

Its just a crazy thing to say after a couple of sessions in shorts. Funny how no one else has this kid competing for Normans roster spot, only the nickel duties vs the other youngsters... Like I've said.

Hopefully he is better then Rhodes and Ramsey too!!
Last edited by cowboykillerzRGiii on Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#21 forever in our hearts
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

piggie
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:54 am

Re: 2019 Offseason Chatter

Postby Sonny9TD » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:38 pm

Well the whole thing started after i had addressed the Tackle situation but just when i thought i was out he pulls me back in


https://www.redskins.com/video/josh-nor ... nce-update No shiz. That was easy to predict.


https://www.redskins.com/video/the-rund ... y-moreland Yep

CKRGiii
Posts: 6989
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Re: 2019 Offseason Chatter

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:29 pm

Sonny9TD wrote:Well the whole thing started after i had addressed the Tackle situation but just when i thought i was out he pulls me back in


https://www.redskins.com/video/josh-nor ... nce-update No shiz. That was easy to predict.


https://www.redskins.com/video/the-rund ... y-moreland Yep


Not sure what you are referencing as far as the tackle situation? Behind Trent it looks pretty bleak man...

I think it was you who pulled me back in? Why say he is better then Norman? Same silly statement got the same provoked reply.

I couldnt care less who is over reading our back and forth.. Its friendly banter guys big deal.

Its old news that Jimmy won the training camp probowl award... The rest is speculative.
What else can we talk about in June?? The Trent saga? Yuck.


I remeber the summer hype machine for the late great Colt Brennan- Lmmfao dont lie, yall remeber his preseason claim to fame?!? So excuse me for reserving judgement until the plays count
#21 forever in our hearts
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

piggie
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:54 am

Re: 2019 Offseason Chatter

Postby Sonny9TD » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:53 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:
Sonny9TD wrote:Well the whole thing started after i had addressed the Tackle situation but just when i thought i was out he pulls me back in


https://www.redskins.com/video/josh-nor ... nce-update No shiz. That was easy to predict.


https://www.redskins.com/video/the-rund ... y-moreland Yep


Not sure what you are referencing as far as the tackle situation? Behind Trent it looks pretty bleak man...

I think it was you who pulled me back in? Why say he is better then Norman? Same silly statement got the same provoked reply.

I couldnt care less who is over reading our back and forth.. Its friendly banter guys big deal.

Its old news that Jimmy won the training camp probowl award... The rest is speculative.
What else can we talk about in June?? The Trent saga? Yuck.


I remeber the summer hype machine for the late great Colt Brennan- Lmmfao dont lie, yall remeber his preseason claim to fame?!? So excuse me for reserving judgement until the plays count


Yea that was my point there are no Tackles behind Trent and Morgan. Yea it looks like Moreland is better than Norman. Better instincts less holding. Great pick. Yea what else is there to talk about. Going to the Super Bowl. Defense is good enough.

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 9402
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: 2019 Offseason Chatter

Postby riggofan » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:43 am

Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:He'll play special teams first and then as soon as someone gets injured (which never happens to the Redskins) he will be starting.


lol true. I've learned not to expect any of the rookies to start and contribute in year one. No matter what the minicamp hype is. He definitely seems like a player to watch though and would be an impressive story coming out of JMU.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax
"We're on the rise, man, whether you're on the train or not." - Josh Norman

Hog
Posts: 1059
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:57 am

Re: 2019 Offseason Chatter

Postby El Mexican » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:22 am

Well, at least we have some bodies at CB.

I can't remember the starting lineup of our Secondary from
the last couple of seasons. It could be my age, but the constant injuries don't help either.

Looks like we have a better shot this year and
actually develop someone instead of hiring some gentleman packing groceries
at the very last minute before the start of the season.

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 3451
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:20 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Re: 2019 Offseason Chatter

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:17 am

riggofan wrote:
Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:He'll play special teams first and then as soon as someone gets injured (which never happens to the Redskins) he will be starting.


lol true. I've learned not to expect any of the rookies to start and contribute in year one. No matter what the minicamp hype is. He definitely seems like a player to watch though and would be an impressive story coming out of JMU.


I keep thinking we have to get lucky one of these times. How is it every other team in the league finds these late round gems? Our scouting department is actually pretty decent. I still think letting Morocco Brown get away was a mistake but not one beyond repair. We have more former head coaches and coordinators on staff than the NFL has jobs so we should be able to "coach up" anyone with any NFL talent. Dan Snyder takes a bad rap at every turn and Bruce Allen is right there with him. To be fair both have earned a reputation. But they are trying to do the right thing to build a winner. They are both fans first, and while that has been a problem at times it is also the underlying fact that keeps them trying to make the Redskins great again. So, when they draft someone like Moreland I have to believe it is because the scouting department or Jay Gruden or maybe even Ray Horton saw something they liked.

One thing that always stands out to me is that you have to play players to know if you have anything in them. I don't believe in benching rookies just because they are rookies. Players have to see snaps to gain experience and they have to see snaps for coaches to know if they can cut it at the NFL level. Drafting a player and letting him sit on the bench is like not having the pick in the first place. I think the time to play guys like Moreland is if you're running away with a game (not the Redskins lately) or if you're getting blown out (happens more than we'd like). Don't wait until someone has to play due to injury before they see game snaps. That's the nice thing about teams. Players can get a feel for the speed and the contact of the NFL game without playing every down. Moreland seems to have instincts and those can't be taught. So, hopefully Gruden sees that and gives him game reps.

That whole "I need to play 'my best players' because we need to make the playoffs" B.S. isn't cutting it with me. This is not a playoff team on paper so to have those expectations is unreasonable and asinine. They have a ridiculously difficult schedule, especially for a non-playoff team. They have either a rookie QB or a career backup starting. They have a gaping hole at left guard. They have their best receiver from a year ago playing for someone else. They have their middle linebacker from a year ago playing for the division opponent that made the Super Bowl. And the list goes on an on. So, play the draft picks. There is nothing to lose by playing them and maybe there is something to gain.
“He was at that time the smartest player in the league. We did everything we could to try to eliminate him from the play. We knew if we didn’t neutralize him, then we had less of a chance of winning.” - John Hannah on Chris Hanburger

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football