The Trent Thread

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: The Trent Thread

Postby riggofan » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:02 pm

Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:Teams aren't even allowed to treat non-footbsll injuries. It's a violation of their insurance. That's why I think this isn't about Trent's medical issue. I think it's about his wanting more money.

Hey anything's possible. Trent might just have read the reviews of Ereck Flowers filling in at LT the past few days and realized he has crazy leverage!

We'll see. The truth comes out sooner or later.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax
"We're on the rise, man, whether you're on the train or not." - Josh Norman

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:48 pm

riggofan wrote:
Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:Teams aren't even allowed to treat non-footbsll injuries. It's a violation of their insurance. That's why I think this isn't about Trent's medical issue. I think it's about his wanting more money.

Hey anything's possible. Trent might just have read the reviews of Ereck Flowers filling in at LT the past few days and realized he has crazy leverage!

We'll see. The truth comes out sooner or later.

I'm just tired of the distractions and the media does this every year. LaCanfora is still bitter about the Redskins barring him from team facilities. Every year he stirs the pot over some overblown non-issue. I can't fathom this year being any different. Trent probably does want more money. There are legitimate arguments for and against that. I'm just not seeing how the team handled or refused to handle a non-football medical issue has anything whatsoever to do with it. The Skins have stuck by Trent through multiple suspensions and injuries and they have paid him like a franchise left tackle. Yes, he's number four or five now in terms of annual salary but that's how contracts work. That's why teams negotiate multi-year contracts. If they had to renegotiate every year it would get a lot harder and a lot more expensive to keep players together.

Ultimately, if there's any credibility to this at all, it would come down to who needs who more but the NBA shows what happens when players have full control over their contract demands. Nothing good. There has to be a line of reason somewhere that says every player wants more money if he thinks he can get it. There also has to be one that says if we're starting our QB of the future we may want the best left tackle option. That's Trent. The thing I keep coming back to is he's already under contract for the next two seasons. Let's say the Skins wanted to be fair or even generous and give Trent an extension. That's probably three years on top of the two. He'd be 35 by the end of the contract. He'd be older, less athletic, more injured. He'd be the 2025 version of Jake Jacoby. Football in general has become a game of youth and speed. I'm just not sure the team should make that kind of commitment to any player in this era.
“He was at that time the smartest player in the league. We did everything we could to try to eliminate him from the play. We knew if we didn’t neutralize him, then we had less of a chance of winning.” - John Hannah on Chris Hanburger

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:01 pm

Every article, after the earliest one, says that the player is furious that the Redskins' medical staff failed to warn him about a cancerous growth on his scalp. The growth turned out benign, but his anger remains. What evidence is there that he is trying to push for more money? Is this "Trent is greedy and lazy and selfish" from talk radio in DC? It's been repeated over and over, but the only news articles are from the Post:

Les Carpenter and Kareem Copeland, June 5: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... 47dc7bd0fa

Washington Redskins star left tackle Trent Williams is skipping minicamp practices because of his frustration with the team’s medical staff, stemming from treatment of a growth on Williams’s head that had to be surgically removed this past winter.

“I think where the frustration might lie is in the timing of a diagnosis; maybe he wished the diagnosis had come a little sooner,” Coach Jay Gruden said Wednesday. “That’s my understanding.”

The team had not previously addressed Williams’s medical issue at length, saying only that it was an operation done on Williams’s scalp and that Williams would be okay. One person close to Williams, speaking on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue, said the surgery gave Williams “a scare.”

Barry Svrluga, also on the 5th: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/r ... b6e5c25952

Trent Williams is the voice of reason and sanity, which is remarkable given how much unreasonableness and insanity he has seen in his nine seasons in Ashburn. Whatever the concerns were entering this week’s mandatory minicamp — the progression of rookie quarterback Dwayne Haskins, the health of running back Derrius Guice, the transition of safety Landon Collins to a new team — whether Trent Williams wanted to be a Redskin didn’t seem to be on the list.

But it should, by now, have been flogged into our brains: However unexpected the scenario you’re thinking about seems, don’t count it out. Trent Williams, team guy, is apparently so ticked off at the team that he’s not showing up, and no one seems to know when he will.

[I]t’s not ancient history right now, in the moment. It’s disturbing. That changed, too, with the initial report Wednesday from CBS Sports that indicated Williams’s absence from minicamp wasn’t, in fact, financial but was because of his displeasure with, as Gruden said, the “timing” of the diagnosis of his ailment, which was not football-related. A contract dispute is rote. Discussion of medical malpractice takes things up a notch.

For the most part, players aren’t going to air the dirty laundry of teammates. This ultimately will be for Williams to explain. But it was telling that Morgan Moses, normally the tackle opposite Williams, described Williams’s actions as not wholly about himself but about raising a flag for the greater good.

“Obviously, it’s about time somebody like that stands up,” Moses said. “It’s not just a situation here. It happens throughout the league. To have one of our peers like Trent, a very valued guy on the field and off the field, to stand up like that, it means a lot to not just us as players but [to] the NFL as well. Obviously, his scare is one that you never want to have, but at the end of the day, [he’s] got to take care of himself.”

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:47 pm

welch wrote:Every article, after the earliest one, says that the player is furious that the Redskins' medical staff failed to warn him about a cancerous growth on his scalp. The growth turned out benign, but his anger remains.

I keep returning to this being a non-football issue so why Trent thinks it's on the team doctors to "warn him" is confusing. If he was concerned he should have gone to see his own doctor. Why is he placing the onus on the team to diagnose and treat a non-football injury? Something about this story is fishy and considering the source (LaCanfora) that's no surprise.
“He was at that time the smartest player in the league. We did everything we could to try to eliminate him from the play. We knew if we didn’t neutralize him, then we had less of a chance of winning.” - John Hannah on Chris Hanburger

Hog

Postby ferryrich » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:54 am

Speaking generally, players haven't trusted team doctors for years. After so many years of playing through injuries because those doctors told you you were ok to play through many injuries, it wouldn't take much to push that dwindling trust off a cliff. Something like a growth would probably do that, so I'm not surprised Trent wants to highlight things.

However, I struggle to see this as team specific, it's a league-wide issue. All team doctors are employed by teams so they have pressures to get you to play on. An independent 2nd opinion is available to the players by simply going to any other doctor but maybe they should be available, provided by the league or players association?

Until we hear anything from Trent himself, I'll take every report with a pinch of salt.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:49 am

I still dont see the connection
Like... Did some one say it was cancer? Or make fun of the scar? How is this related to the Redskins medical staff?? Did some one lop it off in the locker room??

Maybe he was told to play on and wait until the offseason with out knoqing for sure it wasnt cancerous? Did Trent even play the second half of the season??
#21 forever in our hearts
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:49 pm

From "Ask Boswell" on Monday:

Q: Trent Williams
The Redskins have problems in most areas of their franchise. Were you surprised to hear that Trent Williams is unhappy with the medical staff?

A: Thomas Boswell
I was surprised. Trent never complains and plays through pain. They all do, but even by NFL standards, he's one of the tough guys.

I guess the Skins under Snyder had failed to check ONE of the boxes for total franchise incompetence: Alienate your best player of the last decade (7 Pro Bowls) over a medical issue.

Is there evidence that Trent Williams is playing his no-show for extra money? A string of posts asserted that Williams is greedy, and attacked him. No one pointed to evidence; the only reports say that Williams is furious with the Redskins medical group. Gruden says that's what he has heard, as well.

Is there any basis for the attacks on Trent Williams?

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:48 pm

welch wrote:From "Ask Boswell" on Monday:

Q: Trent Williams
The Redskins have problems in most areas of their franchise. Were you surprised to hear that Trent Williams is unhappy with the medical staff?

A: Thomas Boswell
I was surprised. Trent never complains and plays through pain. They all do, but even by NFL standards, he's one of the tough guys.

I guess the Skins under Snyder had failed to check ONE of the boxes for total franchise incompetence: Alienate your best player of the last decade (7 Pro Bowls) over a medical issue.

Is there evidence that Trent Williams is playing his no-show for extra money? A string of posts asserted that Williams is greedy, and attacked him. No one pointed to evidence; the only reports say that Williams is furious with the Redskins medical group. Gruden says that's what he has heard, as well.

let's ask ourselves this - is there any basis for thinking that Allen and Snyder might do the right thing
Until recently, Snyder & Allen have made a lot of really bad decisions - nobody with any sense believes this franchise will get better under their guidance
Snyder's W/L record = 45% (80-96) - Snyder/Allen = 41% (59-84-1)

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:59 pm

welch wrote:Is there any basis for the attacks on Trent Williams?

The only question I have is why Trent wouldn't see his own doctor instead of the team doctor for a non-football-related medical issue. I'm not attacking him for being concerned about his health but why would he trust team doctors, knowing as he does that they are in the business of clearing players who probably shouldn't be cleared?

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:17 am

welch wrote:Is there evidence that Trent Williams is playing his no-show for extra money? A string of posts asserted that Williams is greedy, and attacked him. No one pointed to evidence; the only reports say that Williams is furious with the Redskins medical group. Gruden says that's what he has heard, as well.

I'm with you, man. That's not a guy I would personally attack without knowing all of the facts 100%.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:18 am

Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:The only question I have is why Trent wouldn't see his own doctor instead of the team doctor for a non-football-related medical issue. I'm not attacking him for being concerned about his health but why would he trust team doctors, knowing as he does that they are in the business of clearing players who probably shouldn't be cleared?

Again, I just think you're asking some questions, making judgements without really knowing the facts of what happened. I'm not even 100% sure what exactly TW is upset with the team about. Its all just speculation from what I've read.

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:38 am

riggofan wrote:
Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:The only question I have is why Trent wouldn't see his own doctor instead of the team doctor for a non-football-related medical issue. I'm not attacking him for being concerned about his health but why would he trust team doctors, knowing as he does that they are in the business of clearing players who probably shouldn't be cleared?

Again, I just think you're asking some questions, making judgements without really knowing the facts of what happened. I'm not even 100% sure what exactly TW is upset with the team about. Its all just speculation from what I've read.

My original opinion was that LaCanfora made a mountain out of a molehill and that other sports media ran with it without the least bit of vetting the story. But Trent is skipping mandatory minicamp and Bruce Allen isn't saying why. Apparently his teammates think he will be back for training camp next month. It was NFL.com who initially reported the "Trent wants more money" line. It was LaCanfora who initially reported the "Trent is displeased with the medical staff" line.

Personally I am more inclined to believe it's Trent is 30 years old and the best at what he does and he doesn't need to attend minicamp. Does he want more money? Probably, but what NFL player doesn't? With Bruce Allen we're unlikely to ever know the truth. One recurring theme in the off-season is there's always some negative story reported by LaCanfora and we fans always overanalyze it because there's nothing else to talk about.

I quit personally vesting myself in players after Sean Taylor. Whatever happens happens.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:52 pm

I think it is likely that Trent W. is furious with the Redskin medical staff. That's what Gruden says he has heard. All other "questions" seem without any foundation, which is astonishing, considering how quickly this thread went into a collective rage against Williams for being greedy. Any Redskin fan should have noticed, after all these years, that Trent Williams plays hard every season and has played through some bad knee injuries.

Who is Jason LaCanfora? I remember the name...wasn't he a Post sports reporter? If Snyder/Allen took his press pass, then he must have been reporting honestly about this worst ownership in professional sports. Now, those of us who have been Redskin fans since the early '50s will remember George Preston Marshall, a previous owner of the Redskins. During WW2, Marshall was found to have taken much of the money from game played to benefit an Army-Navy fund for families of casualties. Shirley Povich, the sports editor of the Post, broke the story so Marshall had the team sue him. (Povich won, of course). Nobody writes like Shirley Povich, but, if Dan Snyder hates hates LaCanfora, then that's a small step toward being-like-Shirley.

If it's a choice of believing Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder, or believing Trent Williams, I tend to believe Williams.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football