Doctson

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Pursuer of Justice

Doctson

Postby Justice Hog » Wed May 01, 2019 12:07 pm

The Redskins have until this Friday to decide whether they want to pick up Doctson's 5th year option. I am completely on the fence about this one. To say this guy has under-performed since being drafted 22nd overall would be the understatement of the century. I guess I say pick up the option. Let him fight it out with the quality WRs we now have and let the chips fall where they may.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

“God didn't give us a spirit that is timid but one that is powerful, loving and controlled.” 2 Timothy 1:7

Hog

Re: Doctson

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Wed May 01, 2019 12:28 pm

I'd take a hard pass. He hasn't done anything to earn a guaranteed 5th year.
“He was at that time the smartest player in the league. We did everything we could to try to eliminate him from the play. We knew if we didn’t neutralize him, then we had less of a chance of winning.” - John Hannah on Chris Hanburger

Hog

Postby ferryrich » Wed May 01, 2019 1:09 pm

Not at the numbers being mentioned. His career yearbis hardly even notable

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed May 01, 2019 2:18 pm

That's a tough one. If you don't pick up the option and he has a breakout year, you'll really be kicking yourself.

I kind of lean towards picking it up. Mainly because our WR group is so ridiculously thin and there doesn't seem to be a free agent solution out there.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax
"We're on the rise, man, whether you're on the train or not." - Josh Norman

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Wed May 01, 2019 2:34 pm

riggofan wrote:That's a tough one. If you don't pick up the option and he has a breakout year, you'll really be kicking yourself.

I kind of lean towards picking it up. Mainly because our WR group is so ridiculously thin and there doesn't seem to be a free agent solution out there.

If he was going to have a breakout year he should have had it by now. This is more like a breakup year.
“He was at that time the smartest player in the league. We did everything we could to try to eliminate him from the play. We knew if we didn’t neutralize him, then we had less of a chance of winning.” - John Hannah on Chris Hanburger

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed May 01, 2019 2:41 pm

Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:
riggofan wrote:That's a tough one. If you don't pick up the option and he has a breakout year, you'll really be kicking yourself.

If he was going to have a breakout year he should have had it by now.

I get the angst over it, but you think he should have had a breakout year last year catching balls from Josh Johnson and Mark Sanchez?

I don't know. I guess I'm just saying I don't know that its as simple as that. We're paying Paul Richardson $8m a year. I'd probably take one more year with Docston at $10m just in case.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Wed May 01, 2019 2:57 pm

riggofan wrote:
Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:

If he was going to have a breakout year he should have had it by now.

I get the angst over it, but you think he should have had a breakout year last year catching balls from Josh Johnson and Mark Sanchez?

I don't know. I guess I'm just saying I don't know that its as simple as that. We're paying Paul Richardson $8m a year. I'd probably take one more year with Docston at $10m just in case.

I'd probably cut bait with all of them but it's not that easy. We didn't exactly prioritize receivers in the off-season. I still feel like we could get as much or more out of Cam Simms or Rober Davis or maybe even Terry McLaurin.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed May 01, 2019 3:28 pm

JP Finlay reporting the Redskins won't pick up the option and have informed Doctson of that.

You can't say he earned the option. I hope for his sake and ours that he plays like a 1st round pick this year.
"I’m never under the assumption that you draft for need. You draft the best available football player on the board. ... Because, in the long run, they are the ones who will help you win the most games." - Scot McCloughan

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed May 01, 2019 4:03 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:You can't say he earned the option. I hope for his sake and ours that he plays like a 1st round pick this year.

No, he 100% did not earn the 5th year option. I guess my concern is a bit like the Kirk Cousins contract thing where we balked at Cousins at $19.5m. We may find Docston at $10m in 2020 not really such a bad deal. We'll see. I certainly don't blame the team either way, and Gruden has clearly been annoyed with him over the past few years.

According to J.P. Finlay of NBCSportsWashington.com, the team will not pick up the fifth-year option on the 2016 first-rounder’s contract.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed May 01, 2019 4:13 pm

Maybe this motivates him.. The undisclosed injury at draft rime was BS. Would've made him a 3rd or 4th rounder. The qb carousel hasnt helped but damn. This is a go to the pats and win a sb next year type of guy. Sucky
#21 forever in our hearts
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Wed May 01, 2019 5:03 pm

Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

“God didn't give us a spirit that is timid but one that is powerful, loving and controlled.” 2 Timothy 1:7

Hog

Postby aswas71788 » Wed May 01, 2019 9:18 pm

Well, the Redskins declined to pick up Doctson's 5th year option. Good for the Redskins. Doctson has done nothing to warrant even being kept. If he goes somewhere else and has a banner year, so be it. Someone mentioned Cousins as an example of someone leaving and having a better year elsewhere. He went to the Viking and did the same as he did here, pass for lots of yards when it didn't matter and choke when it did. He did not make the play offs with a team that did the previous year with a "poorer" quarterback. If Doctson can make the team, so be it also. I wouldn't expect any more than we have seen in the first four years.

Hog

Postby El Mexican » Wed May 01, 2019 9:39 pm

=D>

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu May 02, 2019 12:35 am

To be fair.. Its closer to 1.5 seasons.. 2016 2 games Injury. 2017 coming back from injury as pretty much a rookie, and then 2018 the 4 qb *sh$t* storm last year.

Hope his 4th year can be worth a damn, then we can decide what kind of contract he is or isnt worth
#21 forever in our hearts
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Thu May 02, 2019 6:16 am

Love this move, who the heck is running this team...we have actually behaved like a professional organization this offseason!
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football