Gameday thread - Redskins Vs. Browns

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk
Posts: 6748
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Re: Gameday thread - Redskins Vs. Browns

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:10 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:People have short term memory with these two.. I remember all the good AND the bad. Rex Cousins has no balls and folds like a house of cards when the pressure is on, or worse like after a setback. That is HARD to change. I wonder if they have a bounce back stat.. Like in Golf, how do you respond after a double bogey? Another bad hole or a birdy? Kirk jus doesn't have it- in my opinion of course.


Good points. If it's true of "Rex Cousins" (love it) it really is HARD to change.

Jury is still out, on RGIII and the Captain (Kirk) IMO.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013, 2016)

Hognostibowl XII Champion (2017)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

CKRGiii
Posts: 6488
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Re: Gameday thread - Redskins Vs. Browns

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:27 pm

redskinz4ever wrote:fellas our QB situation is a nightmare rg3 is done in DC ... cousins is questionable at best ... mccoy is a backup ....the QB that will turn this team around is yet to be picked in the NFL draft.

Yaaa.. I just don't see Rg3 as "done in dc".. with him gaining confidence through positive plays, the sky is the limit. He has the tebowesque IT factor, the desire to win at the highest level, and works his tail off. Now that he (finally!) Has a QB coach to help him focus on the right areas, he should continue to grow as a passer. His accuracy and arm strength is by far superior to anything we've had behind center in as long as I can remember. Has he gotten gun shy in the pro style O after serious injury (rightfully so)? Sure. Is he so shell shocked that he runs in fear from hits? Far from it. IF he leaves after poor play, the odds are in his favor of landing elsewhere and becoming what those of us envisioned on draft night Circa 2012
Last edited by cowboykillerzRGiii on Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#21 forever in our hearts
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1265
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:56 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Gameday thread - Redskins Vs. Browns

Postby Hooligan » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:27 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Rex Cousins has no balls and folds like a house of cards when the pressure is on, or worse like after a setback. That is HARD to change. I wonder if they have a bounce back stat.. Like in Golf, how do you respond after a double bogey? Another bad hole or a birdy? Kirk jus doesn't have it- in my opinion of course.


That's Cousins' biggest flaw, and I think it may be one of those intangibles that you can't teach. He doesn't have the guts and self confidence to put a poor throw behind him and rebound. That's like a coffin nail in a QB's career. He'll be a backup forever if that doesn't improve, no matter how accurate he is or how smoothly he runs the offense.
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

CKRGiii
Posts: 6488
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Re: Gameday thread - Redskins Vs. Browns

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:37 pm

Hooligan wrote:
cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Rex Cousins has no balls and folds like a house of cards when the pressure is on, or worse like after a setback. That is HARD to change. I wonder if they have a bounce back stat.. Like in Golf, how do you respond after a double bogey? Another bad hole or a birdy? Kirk jus doesn't have it- in my opinion of course.


That's Cousins' biggest flaw, and I think it may be one of those intangibles that you can't teach. He doesn't have the guts and self confidence to put a poor throw behind him and rebound. That's like a coffin nail in a QB's career. He'll be a backup forever if that doesn't improve, no matter how accurate he is or how smoothly he runs the offense.


Precisely.
And although we've gotten a mixed bag from Robert, we have seen him pick up a WEAK team and grind out wins.. comebacks. Title games. Primetime wins. Most accurate rookie in the history of the sport. Deal with drama... And he's shown he is a fighter.
To me he must be supremely mentally tough to endure the *sh$t* that is DC, and the highs and lows he's faced. Weaker souls go the jamarcous Russel route and take hot dogs to the face enroute to oblivion. Can Kirk GrossMan turn it around? Sure. Robert craps the bed? Most already plan on it. My money at this point in time is on the more gifted athlete a and his strong desire to be the best!
So long as it spells Ws, I'm on board for either!! HTTR!!!
#21 forever in our hearts
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1016
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:43 pm

Re: Gameday thread - Redskins Vs. Browns

Postby OldSchool » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:14 am

Cousins has made 9 starts over 3 years. In my opinion all a reasonable observer can conclude after his 9 starts is he is capable of running a WCO at a high level of efficiency for periods of time but he needs to dramatically reduce his turnovers to become a reliable starter. Can he do that with additional starts and coaching? I don't know the answer to that question but his harshest detractors on this board vigorously assert Griffin's potential for improvement and excuse his many shortcomings on inexperience despite his 36 starts.

That's right Griffin has made 4 times as many starts as Cousins and we are still looking to see if Robert has learned how to use his pocket, call audibles, change protections, quickly and accurately read the defense and go through his route fast enough to deliver the ball on time to the right guy in Gruden's office. Actually I have overstated things a bit Thursday we were 't eagerly to see if he can do all of those things we were looking for any evidence he had start making some progress towards acquiring these skills in year 4 after his 36 starts. I think every knowledgable observer will acknowledge edge Cousins does all those things during a substantial number of plays each and every time out. Unfortunately doing all these things a substantial amount of the time is not enough Cousins, for Kirk to progress needs to improve.

Cousins currently has as many interceptions as TDs in his career, a 1 to 1 ration. A 1.35 TDs to 1 interception ratio is good enough to be rated in the top 50 QBs of all time, assuming 1500 attempts. Kirk has to improve his TD to INT from a 1 to 1 to 1.35 to 1 ratio to among the top 50 greats. Check the link below. Am I the only one here who thinks this bright hard working kid with a very good arm is maybe capable of reducing his INTs by 20, 30, 40 or even 50 percent with coaching and more experience?

You naysayers can forget the Rex Grossman comparison because it doesn't fit. Grossman played for over 10 years and started multiple years and failed to clean up his INTs, that's on him not Kirk Cousins. Kirk Cousins has made just 9 starts I'd like to see what his game looks like after another 20-30 starts. It will probably happen some place.

http://www.footballdb.com/leaders/career-passing-tdintratio

Hog
Posts: 640
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:53 am
Location: Shenandoah Valley

Re: Gameday thread - Redskins Vs. Browns

Postby oj » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:50 am

If RGIII payed as good as Cousins we wouldn't be having this conversation, the RGIII disciples would be signing his praises! But he didn't, did he.
Molon Labe

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 17776
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: IF you're lucky enough to live in Newport, RI, you're lucky enough

Re: Gameday thread - Redskins Vs. Browns

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:09 pm

The only thing that matters is that Gruden makes the decision on which QB gives him the best chance at success

I don't think that he thinks that QB is Cousins at this time but that could change ... :D
The Redskins franchise has been a mess since 1999 - it's baffling that some stupid fans think that things might improve while the franchise continues to be mismanaged by this idiot owner who has no clue about the NFL

******
Posts: 2631
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:55 pm
Location: charlotte nc

Re: Gameday thread - Redskins Vs. Browns

Postby redskinz4ever » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:42 pm

with the commitment to running that could be just what the doctor ordered for RG3 or cousins
TOUCHDOWN .....WASHINGTON REDSKINS !!!!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1016
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:43 pm

Re: Gameday thread - Redskins Vs. Browns

Postby OldSchool » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:07 pm

redskinz4ever wrote:with the commitment to running that could be just what the doctor ordered for RG3 or cousins


Amen to this! I am eager to see how the running game goes next game to see if there is more signs of improvement.

Hog
Posts: 640
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:53 am
Location: Shenandoah Valley

Re: Gameday thread - Redskins Vs. Browns

Postby oj » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:25 pm

redskinz4ever wrote:with the commitment to running that could be just what the doctor ordered for RG3 or cousins


Ahh, RedSkins Football! Alf added a little more muscle mass, he could be an absolute terror in the 4th quarter. I do like that.
Molon Labe

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 18370
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: Gameday thread - Redskins Vs. Browns

Postby Deadskins » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:59 pm

redskinz4ever wrote:fellas our QB situation is a nightmare rg3 is done in DC ... cousins is questionable at best ... mccoy is a backup ....the QB that will turn this team around is yet to be picked in the NFL draft.

No, it's not. I don't believe RGIII is done here. I don't think Cousins is "questionable at best." And McCoy could be the starter on several teams in the league right now. Our situation is nowhere near as dire as you make it out to be.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 18370
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: Gameday thread - Redskins Vs. Browns

Postby Deadskins » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:08 pm

OldSchool wrote:Cousins currently has as many interceptions as TDs in his career, a 1 to 1 ration. A 1.35 TDs to 1 interception ratio is good enough to be rated in the top 50 QBs of all time, assuming 1500 attempts. Kirk has to improve his TD to INT from a 1 to 1 to 1.35 to 1 ratio to among the top 50 greats.

Interesting that you would post this without even thinking to check where RGIII's ratio is. For the record it's 40 TDs to 23 INTs. Nearly 2 to 1. What one stat in the NFL most closely correlates to wins and losses? Turnovers. This ends your argument before it even gets started.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 18370
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: Gameday thread - Redskins Vs. Browns

Postby Deadskins » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:13 pm

oj wrote:If RGIII payed as good as Cousins we wouldn't be having this conversation, the RGIII disciples would be signing his praises! But he didn't, did he.

And if Garcon catches that ball, you wouldn't be thinking RGIII got outplayed by Cousins and we also wouldn't be having this discussion. But he didn't, did he?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1016
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:43 pm

Re: Gameday thread - Redskins Vs. Browns

Postby OldSchool » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:57 pm

Deadskins wrote:
OldSchool wrote:Cousins currently has as many interceptions as TDs in his career, a 1 to 1 ration. A 1.35 TDs to 1 interception ratio is good enough to be rated in the top 50 QBs of all time, assuming 1500 attempts. Kirk has to improve his TD to INT from a 1 to 1 to 1.35 to 1 ratio to among the top 50 greats.

Interesting that you would post this without even thinking to check where RGIII's ratio is. For the record it's 40 TDs to 23 INTs. Nearly 2 to 1. What one stat in the NFL most closely correlates to wins and losses? Turnovers. This ends your argument before it even gets started.


I was discussing Cousins issue which is turnovers. Figure out how to get Cousins to run the offense like he does with 20 to 30% fewer INTs and you have a quality starter. Can he clean up his game with more playing time? I think there is a decent chance he could.

Griffin had a much longer list of issues in 2014. To me he just seemed lost on the field waiting to see a guy cut and get open when Gruden's WCO demands so much more from a QB. He didn't toss an excessive number of picks but he was capable of going 2 or 3 quarters withou making anything happen last year. Will he be better this year? I don't know he only played a couple of series this game so he didn't really have enough time to show us much.

Of the two I think Cousins has a much higher upside because it appears he thinks a lot faster than Griffin who I doubt will be able to stick in the league. Maybe I'll be surprised and Griffin will show us he can start running Gruden's offense faster this year. Robert hasn't had a chance to show us yet.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 2367
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Re: Gameday thread - Redskins Vs. Browns

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:45 am

This is why I'm in the camp that this should have been an open competition, and not some sort of contest to dethrone Griffin. You can't "dethrone" him, if you aren't getting any reps with the 1st team, IMO. Because, as people like to point out, Cousins had his chance last year to take the position and run with it, but couldn't. But so did Griffin. Both in 2013 and last year when he came back from injury. And guess what? He squandered his chance too. I have said it time and time again, but I have zero faith in McCoy. I'm leaning more towards neither Griffin or Cousins will be our answer, but I'd love to be wrong about that.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football