Redskins-Browns postgame discussion

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog
User avatar
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:43 pm

3 QBs 3 Interceptions

Postby OldSchool » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:03 am

Each of the 3 QBs threw a pick last night but Cousins and McCoy looked like the understood how to run the offense from the pocket better than Griffin. The Skins have lots of targets to throw to so it should be easier to move the team than last year but thus far Griffin looks like a rookie not a 3 year starter, I question whether he processes things fast enough to be a pocket passer the other it looked like the other two QBs made decisions quicker. Cousins must get it out a full second quicker, I'd love to see what their actual release times are to see if it only looks that way or if the differential is as great as it appears.

kazoo
Posts: 10280
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Re: 3 QBs 3 Interceptions

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:10 am

Three things are certain in life. Death, taxes and PODs is still on TheHogs under a new name.

So how do you feel about your Browns, big guy?
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 3393
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:13 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: 3 QBs 3 Interceptions

Postby Burgundy&Wha? » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:45 am

Your Brownies should have traded for Cousins when they had the chance. Enjoy the long maturation of Johnny Manziel. [-X

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 5024
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Redskins-Browns postgame discussion

Postby riggofan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:43 am

I tried to watch Cousins really objectively last night. Was just curious if there was anything to the opinion that he's the better QB. (I only listened for a minute this morning, but the Sports Junkies were unsurprisingly on the air saying just that.)

For four or five plays, I'll admit I thought he just looks more comfortable. Looks like a QB in command of the offense, more poised. I'm not sure if that's actually true or if its because of the way RGIII plays. Griffin seems like he could break out and run at any second, so he just looks different in the pocket than Cousins.

And just as I was thinking: "maybe there is something to this Cousins talk", that sails an ugly pass to a wide open WR in the middle of the field for an INT.

I don't know. Maybe RGIII won't turn out to be the guy we've been hoping for. I'm just not going to be calling for Cousins every time Griffin has a bad game this year. We gave up a lot for RGIII, and the team needs to give him a fair shot and the support to be that guy.

Btw I wrote earlier in this thread that I don't think its realistic for any team to trade for Cousins at this point in the preseason. The Browns are still the ONE team I could see where it might make sense. Manziel is going to be a disaster if they trot him out there this year. Hoyer is just a guy at best. Cousins could buy them some time, give them a chance this season and I would think he could run Kyle's playbook pretty quickly.

Still doubt it will happen, but it would make some sense.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

CKRGiii
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Re: gameday takeaways/ depth predictions

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:10 am

I wasnt all that impressed by Cousins last night.
He reminds me of sexy Rexy and we all know how that turned out!
Just because he gets the ball out a fraction of a second sooner w out a scramble- doesnt mean he makes the right decisions. Some of it was bad some ok and some decent. Having Tana, A much improved Robinson, and stud R in Grant vs their backups SHOULD give him a significant advantage that I didnt see him really exploit.

Rgiii looked like he had some nerves but moved the ball well- the fumble was a blow to the momentum and I think that Robert is feeling pressure to out perfomr the others. Id be happy if we traded Cousins today to put that kid to bed already. The int was a poor choice that will get addressed. I feel 100% he gives us the best chance to win and hope he continues to improve his sliding/ protecting himself.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

kazoo
Posts: 10280
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Re: Redskins-Browns postgame discussion

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:26 am

riggofan wrote:I tried to watch Cousins really objectively last night. Was just curious if there was anything to the opinion that he's the better QB. (I only listened for a minute this morning, but the Sports Junkies were unsurprisingly on the air saying just that.)

For four or five plays, I'll admit I thought he just looks more comfortable. Looks like a QB in command of the offense, more poised. I'm not sure if that's actually true or if its because of the way RGIII plays. Griffin seems like he could break out and run at any second, so he just looks different in the pocket than Cousins.

And just as I was thinking: "maybe there is something to this Cousins talk", that sails an ugly pass to a wide open WR in the middle of the field for an INT.

I don't know. Maybe RGIII won't turn out to be the guy we've been hoping for. I'm just not going to be calling for Cousins every time Griffin has a bad game this year. We gave up a lot for RGIII, and the team needs to give him a fair shot and the support to be that guy.

Btw I wrote earlier in this thread that I don't think its realistic for any team to trade for Cousins at this point in the preseason. The Browns are still the ONE team I could see where it might make sense. Manziel is going to be a disaster if they trot him out there this year. Hoyer is just a guy at best. Cousins could buy them some time, give them a chance this season and I would think he could run Kyle's playbook pretty quickly.

Still doubt it will happen, but it would make some sense.


Valid points, but RG3 was the real deal his rookie season. Last year was a disaster, and now he's learning a new system. And he wasn't playing backups like Cousins was. The stat that meant the most to me his rookie year was the wide number of receivers he threw to when we had just gone a half dozen years with the ball only going to cooley and Moss. He does have vision, but he has to get comfortable. I am a lot more positive on RG3 than you are right now. Not where he's been this year, but the upside of where he's going.

Also, that our D looks better is a great formula with a young QB. He needs to get chances and get in a rhythm, it was another problem last year that once we gave up teh ball, it was a half hour on the bench for our offense. A feast or famine D is far better than a chinese water torture one, which is what we had last year.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13728
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: in RG3's corner

Re: Redskins-Browns postgame discussion

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:58 am

as most know I'm a RG3 fan - it's obviously going to take a little time for him to become the QB that Sean and Jay are looking for

the O line play will hopefully improve and help the offense as well ... not holding my breath on that tho ... :lol:

totally agree that we're keeping Cousins - we might keep McCoy too but I doubt that Cousins is going anywhere for a while
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive soon, we have too many issues to address - we'll win some games but it will take years to be good again

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 5024
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Redskins-Browns postgame discussion

Postby riggofan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:22 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:Valid points, but RG3 was the real deal his rookie season. Last year was a disaster, and now he's learning a new system. And he wasn't playing backups like Cousins was. The stat that meant the most to me his rookie year was the wide number of receivers he threw to when we had just gone a half dozen years with the ball only going to cooley and Moss. He does have vision, but he has to get comfortable. I am a lot more positive on RG3 than you are right now. Not where he's been this year, but the upside of where he's going.


I agree with those comments. And I didn't mean to give the impression that I'm negative on RGIII at all. (Actually not sure what I wrote that gave you that impression!)

I think cowboykillerzRGiii may be right that Griffin is putting a lot of pressure on himself. I like that about him that he feels the need to go out there and prove everybody wrong. There are times when that seems to work against him. Scrambling for an extra five yards and taking a big hit instead of just stepping out of bounds. Forcing a throw off balance for an INT instead of tossing it away. For ex.

I'm actually more sure after watching that game last night that Griffin is our guy and people need to get a grip with the Cousins talk.

KazooSkinsFan wrote:Also, that our D looks better is a great formula with a young QB. He needs to get chances and get in a rhythm, it was another problem last year that once we gave up teh ball, it was a half hour on the bench for our offense. A feast or famine D is far better than a chinese water torture one, which is what we had last year.


Yeah I read that our starting D held both the Pats and Browns starters scoreless. That's a start. I've said this before, but if our defense can even be middle of the pack, #15 in the league, it would be a huge boost for this team.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:43 pm

Re: Redskins-Browns postgame discussion

Postby OldSchool » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:33 pm

I never have had confidence in Griffin. In 2012 I knew what he was doing wasn't sustainable in the NFL and was pissed the Skins squandered 4 picks to get him. I really soured on the guy when he threw his coaches under the bus after he got hurt. That said, the Skins are my team it's a new year so I am trying to be objective and I haven't seen enough this preseason to assess thoughtfully his progress yet. Thus far I haven't seen growth from him in the limited action:

1. Griffin still looks uncomfortable and indecisive in the pocket. I question whether he processes things quick enough to become a proficient passer. Is it me or does Cousins decide and release the ball much faster? I'd love to compare the release time stats of these two. The OL looks much better when Cousins plays. Cousins just looks so much more at home out there in the same pocket, same offense and after fewer practice reps than Griffin.

2. Griffin still doesn't know how to protect himself. He failed to slide and took multiple hits outside of the pocket last night and when he decided to slide a couple of times later in the game he nearly injured his legs. He came up limping one time but thankfully was able to walk if off.

3. Is his mobility back? I don't know from the limited set of reps we've seen but they caught him repeatedly last night, he looked more like 2013 Griffin than the elusive 2012 version. Maybe his eyes were down the field wasn't that focused on eluding his tacklers but he didn't look especially elusive.

4. He better improve his self protection skills and habits quickly or he's going to get beaten down or worse injured.

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13728
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: in RG3's corner

Re: Redskins-Browns postgame discussion

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:45 pm

SkinsJock wrote:as most know I'm a RG3 fan - it's obviously going to take a little time for him to become the QB that Sean and Jay are looking for

the O line play will hopefully improve and help the offense as well ... not holding my breath on that tho ... :lol:

totally agree that we're keeping Cousins - we might keep McCoy too but I doubt that Cousins is going anywhere for a while


I should have made it more clear - RG3 is making progress & will soon begin to better grasp what is expected of him - this is happening

the whole team looks a lot better and more focused under the new staff


btw - the more aggressive "officiating" (it's horrible) is going to take some getting used to for both players and coaches
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive soon, we have too many issues to address - we'll win some games but it will take years to be good again

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 5024
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Redskins-Browns postgame discussion

Postby riggofan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:51 pm

SkinsJock wrote:btw - the more aggressive "officiating" (it's horrible) is going to take some getting used to for both players and coaches


Man I hope they're just being overly aggressive to emphasize things in the preseason. All of the flags the past two games have been horrible.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1908
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:42 pm

Re: Redskins-Browns postgame discussion

Postby fredp45 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:19 pm

What will Gruden have to do to beat out of Griffin that he will NOT score a TD on every play? He is so confident, he thinks he can outrun and outplay 11 NFL defensive players every play. He thinks it's failure to not score on every series, like he did at Baylor. In the NFL, it's about field position, limiting mistakes AND keeping your franchise QB on the field all year...

Until he learns that we can not trade Cousins. McCoy might be an okay 3rd stringer, but his arm is way too weak to be Griffin's backup.

Kind of wish we saved our picks and drafted Tannehill at this point.

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13728
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: in RG3's corner

Re: Redskins-Browns postgame discussion

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:26 pm

fredp45 wrote:What will Gruden have to do to beat out of Griffin that he will NOT score a TD on every play? He is so confident, he thinks he can outrun and outplay 11 NFL defensive players every play. He thinks it's failure to not score on every series, like he did at Baylor. In the NFL, it's about field position, limiting mistakes AND keeping your franchise QB on the field all year...

Until he learns that we can not trade Cousins. McCoy might be an okay 3rd stringer, but his arm is way too weak to be Griffin's backup.

Kind of wish we saved our picks and drafted Tannehill at this point.


:shock: not me - this kid is V special and is going through a learning curve that should have begun before the 2012 season ...

he will get it right - not just because Sean and Jay want him to but because Robert knows that this is best for both he and the offense
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive soon, we have too many issues to address - we'll win some games but it will take years to be good again

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: Redskins-Browns postgame discussion

Postby hanburgerheel » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:34 pm

Robert Griffin III peaked when he won the ROY award in 2012. I am not implying that Kirk Cousins is the answer, or go-to QB either... I don't think he will ever be more than a decent back-up QB. But, Griffin ain't the guy... at all. Griffin will struggle until the Redskins finally trade him. Then he will make the rounds of other NFL teams that believe they can recapture his college talent and they will fail. I just hope and pray that Gruden has some balls and steps-up and makes the change sooner rather than later. Griffin is going to be a constant frustration. His fans will make excuses and Snyder and the coaches will wait and wait and wait. Griffin was the worst, most costly draft pick I've seen in a while. He did have that one stretch of winning games in November-December 2012 before the Ravens game injury. My most vivid memory of him will always be when he totally blew that knee out against Seattle and collapsed. That was the end.

Oh, and he sold a LOT of jerseys!

Andrew Luck was the best QB of that draft, as far as NFL potential.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 427
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:29 am
Location: Fredericksburg, Va

Re: Redskins-Browns postgame discussion

Postby SKINS#1 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:34 pm

This is a learning process for RG III. He needs to learn the position as a pocket QB and/or he needs to learn how to protect himself. If he does neither of these, I doubt he will be part of the answer for the Redskins.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football