lets break down the DB depth...

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby fredp45 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:07 pm

After following the NFL and the Skins for more than 40 years...I've identified a phenomenon that occurs, with me, and I believe, all fans and that is -- "higher than they deserve" evaluations on rookies and new players that play for OUR team...

Is it, hope? Is it, we know them really well as we watch them closely?

In any event, I'm leary of naming Rambo the starter and a pro bowl player!!

I'm not even remotely convinced we have ANYONE on our team today that is even close to the talent level of TJax...assuming he's healthy, not smoking doobies, in shape, etc...

Rambo might be good, he might be a good 2nd teamer, but remember, he's a rookie and I'm pretty sure he'll get beat this year a few times, and it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't lose a couple games, vs. the Giants, Cowboys, Packers or Broncos (teams with good qb's). It's too early to assess him and wayyyy too early to stamp him a stud player.

If TJax comes back 6 weeks from now in shape, there is NO way Rambo, or anyone else on our roster beats him out at FS. He was our best DB last year in preseason, not even close.

This isn't about growing a young guy, blah, blah, blah, Mike (and Danny Boy) wants to win and TJax gives us the best talent at FS. Hands down.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:46 pm

fredp45 wrote:it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't lose a couple games, vs. Packers or Broncos (teams with good qb's).

Fixed it for you...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:08 pm

fredp45 wrote:After following the NFL and the Skins for more than 40 years...I've identified a phenomenon that occurs, with me, and I believe, all fans and that is -- "higher than they deserve" evaluations on rookies and new players that play for OUR team...

Is it, hope? Is it, we know them really well as we watch them closely?

I think it's hope, and there's nothing wrong with it.

In any event, I'm leary of naming Rambo the starter and a pro bowl player!!

Who called him a Pro Bowl player?

I'm not even remotely convinced we have ANYONE on our team today that is even close to the talent level of TJax...assuming he's healthy, not smoking doobies, in shape, etc...

Don't underestimate how much rust has likely accumulated. Remember, the last game Jackson played in was nearly 2 years ago now. And he hasn't been training or conditioning with the Redskins in about a year. I don't care if he's been hitting the treadmill and weight bench every day; you can't replace the conditioning you get by working in practice and in games. And he hasn't been able to study under professional guidance, either. If he comes back and contributes at all this season as a starter, it will be a minor miracle.

Rambo might be good, he might be a good 2nd teamer, but remember, he's a rookie and I'm pretty sure he'll get beat this year a few times, and it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't lose a couple games, vs. the Giants, Cowboys, Packers or Broncos (teams with good qb's). It's too early to assess him and wayyyy too early to stamp him a stud player.

Again . . . who is calling him a stud player?

I don't think anyone is excited that we are going to have to start Rambo. It's pretty clear he's only getting a shot because we just have no other options. Still, I think we are slightly better off going into this season at DB than we were going into last season. There is some reason to have hope.

If TJax comes back 6 weeks from now in shape, there is NO way Rambo, or anyone else on our roster beats him out at FS. He was our best DB last year in preseason, not even close.

That was last year. This is the league of "what have you done for me lately?"
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football