Redskins against the Hurry Up offense

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:38 pm

Deadskins wrote:
yupchagee wrote:Going out of bounds stops the game clock

Only in the last five minutes of each half, otherwise it starts again once the ball has been reset.

So it still stops the clock either way but only briefly if it's not the last five minutes?

:wink:

By the way, Many years ago Tony Kornheiser and some other guys were doing a radio show and taking calls about how to speed up the game. I made the "last five minutes" suggestion that was ultimately adopted but got laughed off the show.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:52 pm

HEROHAMO wrote: ... Vick may not be as accurate as Griff but he can run just as good if not better.

Vick MIGHT be a "better" running QB than RG3 ... but he is NOT as fast a runner as RG3 - not even close :lol:

I am just thinking this will not be a blowout as some might think. I actually think this could be a close game.

I disagree - it COULD be a close game but I just can't see how ... Mike is a much better NFL HC than Kelly ... at this time :roll:

enjoy the game
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.”

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:17 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote: ... Vick may not be as accurate as Griff but he can run just as good if not better.

Vick MIGHT be a "better" running QB than RG3 ... but he is NOT as fast a runner as RG3 - not even close :lol:

+1

Vick has always been a "running" QB, at one point he was a "run first" QB on the other hand RGIII is a QB that can run and is good at it. Vick has been doing it longer so he should be better at it than Bob, but we both know Vick couldn't have done this and Vick has never or even thought of using his speed to do this.

SkinsJock wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote: I am just thinking this will not be a blowout as some might think. I actually think this could be a close game.

I disagree - it COULD be a close game but I just can't see how ... Mike is a much better NFL HC than Kelly ... at this time :roll:

enjoy the game

I'll agree again, considering one is a rookie and the other has won Championships

Looking deeper... they still have to play the game and the the Egals still have Vick. I don't really see this as a big problem becsause Kelly's new scheme will allow Vick to be more inclined to run meaning he'll get hit more often. History has shown us that Vicks doesn't like to get hit and that the Redskins defense generally hit Vick pretty hard and pretty often... how many games has Vick missed snaps against the Redskins :hmm:

The Beagles are running a new scheme, not just new to the team but new to the NFL... or is it. Looks like your basic NCAA spread, using the read option and a up tempo. This might work for Kelly once he gets a QB that can read a defense. Not only can Vick not read defenses and still prone to abandon the play called and rely on his legs, he'll be facing Haslett's 3-4 scheme. It's the same scheme that Philthy runs but it's their first year in that scheme and Vick has no idea what he'll be facing on Monday night.

Speaking of that new defensive scheme in the City of no Brotherly love... they switched from a 4-3 scheme that they spent big money to put together over the two or three years before Chip Kelly showed up, to a 3-4 scheme without the players to fit that scheme. Anyone remember the first year of Haslett's conversion :?:, defensive ends playing outside linebacker with no coverage skills, inside linebackers working with no space eater at nose tackle to keep interior linemen off of them, and DT that now play NT or DE :evil: I remember them days too. That defense will be facing a offense is the original version of what Chip Kelly is calling his (he just runs it fast and hopes to get a lot of plays on the offensive side of the ball)... the one that no one could figure out last season, a offense that faced more 3-4 defenses in debut than 4-3 schemes and generally fared batter against those 3-4 schemes.

So, this won't be Shanny vs Chip or Vick vs RGIII...

This will be the Redskins showing a QB that wants to run, a 3-4 scheme that will occasionally consist of five LBs and three corners who all will be open he runs. This will be the Fecals rolling out 3-4 scheme that they don't yet understand against a Redskins scheme that no one has figured out "the little bit" that they've seen.

I can't say it will be a blow out, I can't say it will be close... Will Chip Kelly have to answer for exposing his QB to too many hits... more than likely yes
:twisted:
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:21 pm

The Bills Ran that same up tempo scheme... How'd that work out against the Skins

The scheme can't work if the offense is on the sidelines :roll:
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:11 am

yupchagee wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:Hurry up offense or not, the Eagle's run defense is going to be seeing flashes of burgundy and gold blazing past them the whole game. We'll probably run out of bounds a couple extra times to give our defense some rest and wear theirs out even more.

Going out of bounds stops the game clock, not the play clock.

Ah thanks for the correction. Pretty obvious, not sure what I was thinking when I wrote it. At the time, it sounded pretty good in my head :lol:

Hog

Postby RayNAustin » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:59 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:I agree, CLL. I finally got a pretty good look at Philly's new offense and I have to say I wasn't all that impressed. The problem with running a no huddle is that you don't have time to call sophisticated plays. The Eagles looked a lot like a college offense to me.

Our defense can play a little more reactive football and focus on pressuring Vick. I honestly don't see the Eagles outsmarting us, so it's all a question of whether or not we can disrupt their rhythm. A few three and outs and watch out, because our offense will get on a roll.

I agree with this ... and to add ... it's a gimmick offensive strategy that can cause as much confusion to itself as it does to the opponent, unless everyone is on the same page, and execution is excellent.

The trouble with that is ... offenses are always lagging a bit behind defenses early on in these system transitions, and while Vick is a superb athlete, his claim to fame has never included being a great QB in terms of reading defenses and making quick decisions, except to quickly decide to tuck the ball and run. With added pressure to make faster reads at the line, as well as faster decisions on best option in the progression, all while the rest of the offense is also learning a new system, I believe they'll make plenty of mistakes which will cost them big time.

A few fast series of 3 and outs or even 6 and outs could put their defense in a bad situation, particularly if the Redskins are able to ground and pound, and keep that eagle defense on the field. And if they try to stack the box to stop Alfred, RG3 will just kill them through the air with play action.

My only concern on defense is at safety and especially Rambo's less than stellar ability to tackle in space. You can bet that the Eagles have noticed that and will be trying to isolate him, and take advantage, with guys like McCoy and Jackson, who are tough to keep up with even for the best safeties.

Should be an interesting game.

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:52 pm

SkinsJock wrote:

I am just thinking this will not be a blowout as some might think. I actually think this could be a close game.

enjoy the game

Skins jock you always make me laugh with your posts. LOL!

RG3 is a far better thrower and can process the game much better then VIck IMHO. However when you say Vick is not even close to as fast as RG3. Now you are just talking nonsense.

Vick ran a 4.2 forty at his combine. One of the fastest timed. It was electronically timed. Sure Vick may have lost half a step but they timed him when he first joined the Eagles and it was a 4.3.
Once again RG3 is better to me and all of us think so. Just responding to your comment.

Now as far as the game is concerned. I think it will be a close game because there are many factors to consider.

1. RG3 to me is not 100 percent yet. RG3 hasnt played any preseason games or hasnt had any contact yet. We dont know what the first games going to be like.
2. We have never faced a Chip Kelly run offense yet. So we dont have much tape to work with so its new and it could take time to adjust.
3. The Eagles do have weapons on the offensive side and it wont be easy stopping them.

I want a blowout just like you. I just want to be cautious about my optimism going into the first game. I am fully aware the RG3 may not dazzle us in his first game back from injury.

The thing for me is. I actually think RG3 is rushing himself back too soon. I would rather he sit out six more games. After all he is supposed to be a long term investment. But he wants to play so badly and has worked really had in the off season. So I support him just like all of us do. But if I had to make the decision I would sit him.

With all that said. Its only a few hours away till game time. Lets get this win and blow out these Eagles. I am excited to see Kerrigan and Rak go after Vick and Mccoy.

We all will be keeping an eye on our young secondary. I expect big things from them. HTTR
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:58 pm

1niksder wrote:The Bills Ran that same up tempo scheme... How'd that work out against the Skins

The scheme can't work if the offense is on the sidelines :roll:

We have a very strong team I think. Especially the additions made to the defense make me feel good about our team.

But you guys swear like we are going to face some junior varsity team. I just think we should be ready for a hard fought game. Rather then a blowout.

I just thinking facing Vick is going to be tougher then we might think. Like I said in my post above cautious optimism is my approach this season.
But come gametime my game face will be on and Ill be rooting for my team like always.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby SKINS#1 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:03 pm

Looks like the Hurry Up offense wins this match and it must be affecting Redskins offense as well. :)

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:15 am

give the Eagles a W but I doubt that they will get very far with that ...

Vick cannot last long taking that sort of punishment

the defenses they face will not be as accommodating as we were

the offenses they face will not be as 'rusty' as ours was

the Eagles won but they are NOT winning the NFC East ...

we helped them a lot more than the hurry up offense did
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.”

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:43 am

SkinsJock wrote:we helped them a lot more than the hurry up offense did

Yeah that first quarter was just a terrible combination. They were running the hurry up effectively, and our offense gave them the ball three times in a row. Could we have screwed our defense over any more than that?

Do it three or four games in a row and make me a believer, Chip Kelly.

I kind of laughed about this one, SJ:

Vick cannot last long taking that sort of punishment

I mean, its totally true, but its also the same thing everyone said about us all last year. The irony!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football