12 Defensive Players with Expiring Contracts next year

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 4618
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

12 Defensive Players with Expiring Contracts next year

Postby riggofan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:56 pm

Wow! This is a pretty big list. I'm glad we'll be getting our cap space back next year and glad to see Shanahan's comments on the subject too.

I know its a little early to know for sure on some of them, but any thoughts on these twelve? Who do you think is most unlikely to be back? Who would you prioritize?

RICHMOND – The 2013 season is a big year for the Washington Redskins as they try to build on last season’s success and show they have developed into a contender in the league and not just a flash-in-the-pan team.

But the 2013 campaign also carries great significance for the future of a number of defensive players. Twelve defensive players – six of them starters – are entering the final years of their contracts.

Brian Orakpo, London Fletcher, Perry Riley, DeAngelo Hall, Josh Wilson, Brandon Meriweather, Reed Doughty, Rob Jackson, E.J. Biggers, Chris Baker and Nick Barnett all will be free agents in the offseason of 2014.

Such a situation should make for a highly motivated collection of players.

“I think anytime you go into a contract year, if you have common sense, not only do want to play well for us, you want to play well for other teams that are out there so you can have the best leverage for contracts,” Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan said. “I think every player knows that going into his last year. There is no difference with our players. We have got a lot of guys on our football team that we would like back. Hopefully they have the type of year that warrants that type of big contract because we would like to take care of our players.”

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16059
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:24 pm

Orakpo, Riley, Wilson, Jackson should all be re-signed. Meriweather needs to show he can stay healthy. Barnett is trying to play his way into the starting lineup, but he's getting older. I'm hoping this year's draft class can work their way into the starting lineup so we can let some of these older guys go.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:42 pm

It's the result of managing the salary cap after being robbed....

Brian Orakpo
Last year of his rookie year, and coming off two injury shorten season

London Fletcher
Signed a two year deal in year one of Cap-Gate

Perry Riley
Last year of his rookie year... he won't hit free agency

DeAngelo Hall
Signed a one year deal in year two of Cap-Gate, after being released due to his previous cap number

Josh Wilson
Signed a one year deal in year two of Cap-Gate that provided the team with cap relief

Brandon Meriweather
Technically he signed a five year deal in year one of Cap-Gate, but the deal has voidable (by the team) years after this season. He'll be back if he earns a new deal and it'll be less than the $4.6M per year (the 2014 cap hit if deal isn't voided)

Reed Doughty
Reed's on the last year of his second contract and will return if the team wants him back

Rob Jackson
Signed a one year deal in year two of Cap-Gate as a RFA and will sit the first four games, that'll lower his value on the market next off-season for teams other than the Skins

E.J. Biggers
He followed Morris here and signed a one year deal in year two of Cap-Gate

Chris Baker
Signed a one year deal in year two of Cap-Gate as a RFA

Nick Barnett
Barnett hasn't been with the team a week yet not sure why he even made this list... but like most on it he signed a one year deal in year two of Cap-Gate
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 4618
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Postby riggofan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:22 pm

1niksder wrote:It's the result of managing the salary cap after being robbed....


No doubt you're right about that. We're lucky some of these guys were willing to hang around on a one year deal.

**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:32 pm

riggofan wrote:
1niksder wrote:It's the result of managing the salary cap after being robbed....


No doubt you're right about that. We're lucky some of these guys were willing to hang around on a one year deal.


These five...

Kehl, Bryan
Brace, Ron
Merling, Phillip
Pugh, Jordan
Muckelroy, Rodderick


are also scheduled to be free agents next off season...

And what about the other side of the ball?

Morgan, Joshua
Moss, Santana
Davis, Fred
Trueblood, Jeremy
Williams, Keiland
Grossman, Rex
Briscoe, Dezmon
Henderson, Devery
Pashos, Tony
Stallworth, Donte'
Robinson, Aldrick
Compton, Will

and thats not a complete list
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

#14
Posts: 4294
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:50 pm
Location: Louisville KY

Postby yupchagee » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:59 pm

1niksder wrote:
riggofan wrote:
1niksder wrote:It's the result of managing the salary cap after being robbed....


No doubt you're right about that. We're lucky some of these guys were willing to hang around on a one year deal.


These five...

Kehl, Bryan
Brace, Ron
Merling, Phillip
Pugh, Jordan
Muckelroy, Rodderick


are also scheduled to be free agents next off season...

And what about the other side of the ball?

Morgan, Joshua
Moss, Santana
Davis, Fred
Trueblood, Jeremy
Williams, Keiland
Grossman, Rex
Briscoe, Dezmon
Henderson, Devery
Pashos, Tony
Stallworth, Donte'
Robinson, Aldrick
Compton, Will

and thats not a complete list


Many of these guys won't make the 53. Let's wait a while before we get into this.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

the 'mudge
Posts: 14529
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:31 pm

^True... BUT... that list also contains a lot of quality players who are going to be using the year as a self-promotion opportunity... that's good for the Redskins...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:55 am

Postby RedskininSlidell » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:16 am

No Body on these lists worry me. We get our cap money back so we can sign any of them if we want to. Most are aging vets or players coming off of injury so we proved we can win without them.

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 4618
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Postby riggofan » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:02 am

Yeah a lot of players on the offensive side too obviously, but not as many that I would be eager to re-sign and quite a few that won't even make the roster this year.

Fred Davis and Aldrick Robinson are probably the only two for me personally, and there are some questions about both of those guys.

I did note that Orakpo was like the #1 guy on that particular list. I'm still kind of hoping the Skins work out a deal with him well before he becomes a FA.

**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:38 am

yupchagee wrote:
1niksder wrote:and that's not a complete list


Many of these guys won't make the 53. Let's wait a while before we get into this.

+1

Just looking at the 29 listed on a 90 man roster you never know, but ....



Morgan, Moss, Robinson, and Davis will all make the final 53, Kehl, Muckelroy, and Barnett are fighting for 2 roster spots (if not one), Brace making the final 53 wouldn't surprise me and Orakpo, Fletcher, Riley, Hall OR Wilson, Meriweather (if healthy and he is),Rob Jackson, and Biggers, are pretty much locks to make the final 53.

Throw in Grossman (who somehow retains a spot year in and year out), Doughty(who always shows up"good or bad" :?), Baker (with the shortage of DL), and either Trueblood or Pashos (because the Right tackle spot is what it is :evil: ) and that's 18 of 29 players on the list.

Again the list is based off a 90 man roster + another four or five others due to the PUP, Suspensions and other Roster exemptions, it way too early for this conversation.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13233
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: 12 Defensive Players with Expiring Contracts next year

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:06 pm

riggofan wrote:Wow! This is a pretty big list. I'm glad we'll be getting our cap space back next year and glad to see Shanahan's comments on the subject too.

I know its a little early to know for sure on some of them, but any thoughts on these twelve? Who do you think is most unlikely to be back? Who would you prioritize?
Twelve defensive players – six of them starters – are entering the final years of their contracts.

Brian Orakpo, London Fletcher, Perry Riley, DeAngelo Hall, Josh Wilson, Brandon Meriweather, Reed Doughty, Rob Jackson, E.J. Biggers, Chris Baker and Nick Barnett all will be free agents in the offseason of 2014.

Such a situation should make for a highly motivated collection of players.


:shock: are you kidding me - it is WAY TOO EARLY to be having this discussion :roll:
We are very fortunate to have Kirk Cousins but Griffin has a huge upside IMO

Robert needs to continue to get better and to do that he needs time on the field - hopefully sooner than later

HAIL


Week 2 - 17-15

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 4618
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: 12 Defensive Players with Expiring Contracts next year

Postby riggofan » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:43 am

SkinsJock wrote:
riggofan wrote:Wow! This is a pretty big list. I'm glad we'll be getting our cap space back next year and glad to see Shanahan's comments on the subject too.

I know its a little early to know for sure on some of them, but any thoughts on these twelve? Who do you think is most unlikely to be back? Who would you prioritize?
Twelve defensive players – six of them starters – are entering the final years of their contracts.

Brian Orakpo, London Fletcher, Perry Riley, DeAngelo Hall, Josh Wilson, Brandon Meriweather, Reed Doughty, Rob Jackson, E.J. Biggers, Chris Baker and Nick Barnett all will be free agents in the offseason of 2014.

Such a situation should make for a highly motivated collection of players.


:shock: are you kidding me - it is WAY TOO EARLY to be having this discussion :roll:


Then feel free not to join the discussion. :shock:
Last edited by riggofan on Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 4618
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Postby riggofan » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:46 am

Countertrey wrote:^True... BUT... that list also contains a lot of quality players who are going to be using the year as a self-promotion opportunity... that's good for the Redskins...


Yep that was kind of the main point of the article. I'm not sure if its OK for us to be discussing that or not though.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football