Orakpo says he's feeling 100%

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed May 08, 2013 8:23 pm

OK - I like Orakpo - the reality is that BOTH he and the Redskins want to wait and see how things go this season
the Redskins don't really need to commit at this time and IMO Brian understands that's how it is now here ...

the old fashioned way of doing business and 'keeping your own' is IN MY OPINION - no longer in play here
this franchise is now a force and the ONLY players they will give big deals to are going to be CRITICAL to their success
I don't mean to imply that Brian is not a really good player - I just think he's looking for a better deal than he's likely to get right now
IMO both the team and Brian think it's best for BOTH to wait and see

Orakpo understands that is how it is here - no big deal - hopefully he has a great year and signs on for a few more ...

that's it :wink:
Last edited by SkinsJock on Thu May 09, 2013 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu May 09, 2013 5:52 am

Orakpo is a player that I would feel comfortable with the team sticking it's neck out for.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu May 09, 2013 8:52 am

SkinsJock wrote::lol: I'm not even close to trying to make a point .. let alone make a case for this :lol:

hah!

SkinsJock wrote:all the reasons that your pointing to has not resulted in Orakpo getting signed .. I like the what the guys in charge are doing ... actually I'm VERY sure they have a better feel for this than you do :wink:

No doubt about that. And I wouldn't say that I'm surprised Rak hasn't signed a new deal yet. It seems to me that he has more leverage right now as long as we still need to free up cap space for our rookies.

Anyway, I think CLL put it pretty well and bluntly right above me. I would be totally on board with the team locking up Orakpo with a new contract.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu May 09, 2013 9:10 am

But remember this ok, Brian's words are hurtful.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu May 09, 2013 9:15 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:But remember this ok, Brian's words are hurtful.

Huh?

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu May 09, 2013 9:19 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:But remember this ok, Brian's words are hurtful.

I did not think that ....

I understand where CLL and riggofan are coming from - I just think that the landscape here is changing ...

I DO think that Orakpo can be a very good player for this defense AND I think the franchise wants to let him have his shot at a good contract ... BUT ...
Even if he has a great season - I just don't think a lot of these players are going to get the 'deals' next season like they got in the past

My 2 cents
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu May 09, 2013 10:01 am

SkinsJock wrote:I understand where CLL and riggofan are coming from - I just think that the landscape here is changing ...

How is it changing?

SkinsJock wrote:I DO think that Orakpo can be a very good player for this defense

He's already shown that he is. And he's already shown how much he means to this defense. Part of our effort to get the secondary working is having an effective pass-rush. A pass-rush that all but died in his absence. He and Kerrigan compliment each other, one cannot replace the other. In addition, we are not the Ravens/Giants who apparently breed pass-rushers in the bowels of their facilities. We do not have a replacement for him, nor do we have a replacement for London...

Before we can begin to let players walk, we must have an adequate backup plan. We are moving towards that sort of depth but we are not there yet. IMO, that kind of depth needs organizational stability, consistency and philosophy of 6+ years. The two teams mentioned have had that. We are getting close...but not yet.

SkinsJock wrote: AND I think the franchise wants to let him have his shot at a good contract ... BUT ...
Even if he has a great season - I just don't think a lot of these players are going to get the 'deals' next season like they got in the past

My 2 cents

Agreed. I feel that if the coaches are comfortable with doing so, make him an offer. If he balks, that's absolutely fine. Every man deserves a chance to get what he feel he's worth. If tests free agency and gets what he wants elsewhere, great for him. If he decides that it'd be better to return home, great.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu May 09, 2013 11:30 am

I'm all for keeping players and ESPECIALLY really good players like Orakpo - but ...

this is not just happening UNLESS Orakpo shows a return to form BECAUSE we're going to CONTINUE to see a lot of competition for roster spots here AND this franchise is going to be a place where a lot of very talented players are going to want to play and there are going to be many players fighting for that

I think that Brian will be a part of this franchise for many years - I'm just saying that even the better/best players here are going to be pushed to keep their roster spots NEXT season

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu May 09, 2013 12:10 pm

So you think that Brian Orakpo will be a part of this franchise for many years UNLESS he does not show a return to form.

Really going out on a limb there, my man. :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog

Postby ACW » Fri May 10, 2013 11:05 am

DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football