Where are you at on this whole team name change thing?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Fri May 17, 2013 3:59 pm

Will do, IB. Thanks!
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:37 am

to stir the pot a little more ... :lol:

this from SouthLondonRedskin ...

"They also had this piece on that site about the name-change debate which I liked ... "

http://www.knowitallfootball.com/2013/0 ... skins-nfl/
Hail to the Redskins

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:47 pm

They were the Boston Redskins, and I suspect they were named to suggest a link to the Boston Braves, and I think the Braves were named for the guys who dressed as Indians when they dumped tea in Boston harbor in 1773.

There are important things to worry about.

For a small start, read Henry David Thoreau's "Walden", and slow down to think about his chapter "Reading". Thoreau suggests that his town's small subsidy to its Lyceum is one of the most valuable ways to spend its money. Here in New York, the last two mayors have repeatedly cut funding for the city libraries, which don't get much money anyhow. Meanwhile, the city pumps money into Yankee Stadium III and Shea Stadium II (aka "CITIField) and probably donated money to build a basketball arena in Brooklyn.

(Libraries are a personal thing. Much of what little I know came from the PG County Library near PG Plaza, and the old DC Central Library on 9th Street. A public library used to be called "the people's university". It should be again, and why fuss over the name of a pro-football team??)

Postby skinsfan#33 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:23 am

welch wrote:They were the Boston Redskins, and I suspect they were named to suggest a link to the Boston Braves, and I think the Braves were named for the guys who dressed as Indians when they dumped tea in Boston harbor in 1773.

For a small start, read Henry David Thoreau's "Walden", and slow down to think about his chapter "Reading". Thoreau suggests that his town's small subsidy to its Lyceum is one of the most valuable ways to spend its money. Here in New York, the last two mayors have repeatedly cut funding for the city libraries, which don't get much money anyhow. Meanwhile, the city pumps money into Yankee Stadium III and Shea Stadium II (aka "CITIField) and probably donated money to build a basketball arena in Brooklyn.

(Libraries are a personal thing. Much of what little I know came from the PG County Library near PG Plaza, and the old DC Central Library on 9th Street. A public library used to be called "the people's university". It should be again, and why fuss over the name of a pro-football team??)

Welch,
I know this is like a month late, but they were the Boston Braves at forst when they played in the same stadium as the MLB Boston Brave (who later maove to Milwalkie then Atlanta). Then the team moved to Fenway Park (don't know why) and changed their name to keep the Indian theme and add a connection to the MLB team that played (and still does) at Fenway Park. REDskins was a natural fit. That is as much though that went into the name change.

When they move to DC the following year they just kept Redskins.

So there are the motives behind Redskins, the name was chosen to pay tribute to Native Americans and to add a connection to the Redsox.

If they change to any name (which i'm whole heartedly against) then the only name I would welcome is Braves. You wouldn't even need to change the fight song!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:43 am

"hail to the braaaaves, fight for ole dc"

-drinking

I really really hope it doesn't change.. that song would have to be trashed cuz we all know the fans would still say Redskins. :lol:

but Braves or Warriors is fine with me
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:22 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:"hail to the braaaaves, fight for ole dc"

Seems a syllable short to me.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:05 am

No, just keep singing the fight song as is. Still HTTR. And you have the part were it says Braves on the warpath. It would be the ultimate screw you to everyone. A song can only retain copyright right coverage 70 years after the song writers death. I don't know when GPM's wife died but I bet it isn't too far from that 70 years anyway.

The is only is Snyder loses the trademark protection on redskins. It would be similar to when the NFL forced the Baltimore CFL Colts to change their name, the fansstill still kept chanting Colts even after they became the Stallions.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:58 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:No, just keep singing the fight song as is. Still HTTR. And you have the part were it says Braves on the warpath.

That would work for "most" fans... and brings up a interesting question.

If the Team's name was meant to be derogatory would the the team's fight song refer to them as Braves :?:

Most words can have more than one meaning depending how it is used. Most fans of those three teams in the NFCE that don't like the redskins don't even use it negatively... they go with deadskins (not to be confused with JSPB22 :wink:), foreskins or whatever else the pea brains fart out at the time.

If the Redskins have to change the name of the team, I'm starting a movement to gather thousands of people 6'3" or taller to do something about that insulting name of Mara's team. :twisted:
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:16 am

Like I said.. NOBODY in the stands would sing it any other way. :lol:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally

Postby yupchagee » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:53 pm

1niksder wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:No, just keep singing the fight song as is. Still HTTR. And you have the part were it says Braves on the warpath.

That would work for "most" fans... and brings up a interesting question.

If the Team's name was meant to be derogatory would the the team's fight song refer to them as Braves :?:

Most words can have more than one meaning depending how it is used. Most fans of those three teams in the NFCE that don't like the redskins don't even use it negatively... they go with deadskins (not to be confused with JSPB22 :wink:), foreskins or whatever else the pea brains fart out at the time.

If the Redskins have to change the name of the team, I'm starting a movement to gather thousands of people 6'3" or taller to do something about that insulting name of Mara's team. :twisted:

& rodeo competitors for TTiT & bird lover for Philthy.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:10 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:
welch wrote:They were the Boston Redskins, and I suspect they were named to suggest a link to the Boston Braves, and I think the Braves were named for the guys who dressed as Indians when they dumped tea in Boston harbor in 1773.

Welch,
I know this is like a month late, but they were the Boston Braves at forst when they played in the same stadium as the MLB Boston Brave (who later maove to Milwalkie then Atlanta). Then the team moved to Fenway Park (don't know why) and changed their name to keep the Indian theme and add a connection to the MLB team that played (and still does) at Fenway Park. REDskins was a natural fit. That is as much though that went into the name change.

When they move to DC the following year they just kept Redskins.

So there are the motives behind Redskins, the name was chosen to pay tribute to Native Americans and to add a connection to the Redsox.

If they change to any name (which i'm whole heartedly against) then the only name I would welcome is Braves. You wouldn't even need to change the fight song!

I agree. This is how I understand the history of the name and this is the only name change I could welcome at this point. Braves is a clear honorific though, as many have posted, there will always be at least one "offended" person ... and the fight song would remain pretty much perfect. Redskins and Braves would simply switch roles so to speak.

welch wrote:Much of what little I know came from the PG County Library near PG Plaza

Same here.

Though there are more important things to worry about we shouldn't simply ignore the smaller stuff. I think if the team name were repugnant enough to you, you'd understand fussing over it. #shrug But the examples you cite are sad.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Re: Where are you at on this whole team name change thing?

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:35 pm

grampi wrote:It's becoming almost a daily news thing now ... the crybaby whiners trying to get the name "Redskins" changed to something else
if I were Danny Boy I'd tell them the name has been the same since 1932 and it's staying this way no matter what!

The Washington Redskins are NOT changing the name of this franchise - NO WAY
Hail to the Redskins

swine

Postby masterkwon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:42 pm

riggofan wrote:"Yes, we realize the name may be offensive to a very small minority of people. We're sorry about that. We just don't care about it enough to change the name."

PURE GOLD!

piglet

Untapped new name possibility

Postby paulvs » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:57 pm

I fear the name change is inevitable. I hope it doesn't happen. I don't think it should happen but it is gaining traction because we are good now. But I have been kicking around an idea. Please tell me what you think. Oh, and keep an open mind. Lol. The haters always use the term DeadSkins to make fun of us. That coupled with an all-time high in zombie popularity and you have your new name. The Washington Deadskins. You instantly take away the haters ammo. You only have to tweak the helmet logo a little to look like a zombie and even the song only gets slightly adjusted "Eat em, Stomp em touchdown let the points soar". That kind of thing. One of our colors is almost that of blood anyway. Just a thought. Maybe a dumb one.

JSPB22

Re: Untapped new name possibility

Postby Deadskins » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:17 pm

paulvs wrote:The Washington Deadskins. You instantly take away the haters ammo.

I like it!
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football