Where are you at on this whole team name change thing?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Where are you at on this whole team name change thing?

Postby grampi » Thu May 02, 2013 3:36 pm

It's becoming almost a daily news thing now...the crybaby whiners trying to get the name "Redskins" changed to something else...if I were Danny Boy I'd tell them the name has been the same since 1932 and it's staying this way no matter what!

Hog

Re: Where are you at on this whole team name change thing?

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu May 02, 2013 3:43 pm

grampi wrote:It's becoming almost a daily news thing now...the crybaby whiners trying to get the name "Redskins" changed to something else...if I were Danny Boy I'd tell them the name has been the same since 1932 and it's staying this way no matter what!

I think they need to settle it once and for all and prove the origins of the name as referring to the warriors who painted the skin red before going into battle.

That said, this probably isn't ever going to go away.

Hog

Postby rick301 » Thu May 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Just change the name to reflect the derivation of the name to:

"Washington Redskin Warriors" or the "Washington Redskins" for short

Hog

Postby aswas71788 » Thu May 02, 2013 4:45 pm

This is never going to go away as long as there is someone trying to get their name in the newspaper and their 30 seconds of fame.

Wasn't there some guy on the Washington council that wanted to change the name to something depicting a red posterior? Yes, Redtails...that was it. Doesn't getting a redtail have certain connotations? Can you imagine the announcers and the jokes they can come up with? It would no longer be football but a raunchy comedy routine. Bring back George Lopez. Can we resurrect Lenny Bruce?

Seriously, I remember Dan Snyder saying that the name would not be changed when he gained ownership of the team. I have not heard that he has changed his mind.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu May 02, 2013 6:37 pm

I'm actually kind of irritated that this is in the news again so much this week. Literally a bunch of noise about nothing.

So sick of this debate anyway. I kind of wish Snyder, NFL and the fans for that matter would just be honest and say, "Yes, we realize the name may be offensive to a very small minority of people. We're sorry about that. We just don't care about it enough to change the name."

I hate all of the arguments against the name as much as I hate the whining about political correctness.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu May 02, 2013 6:38 pm

The name will always be the Washington Redskins. Native Americans don't even find it offensive. Fake outrage and the team should never cave.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Postby Redskins Reparations » Thu May 02, 2013 7:25 pm

The Washington Redskins have not mocked Native Americans by naming the franchise after them but instead honor them. There have also been multiple Native American organizations that expressed publicly that the name is not considered offensive.

Maybe the organization should pay homage to Native Americans to include public awareness, donations, scholarships, etc to Native American organizations. Then maybe the name would be viewed as a positive rather than a negative.

When was the last time a professional sports franchise changed their name due to public pressure and/or political correctness? This subject opens the door to other Non-Native American offensive team names as well.

The politicians that bring this subject to the forefront should focus on more important issues...

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu May 02, 2013 7:45 pm

I'm indifferent. However, I also agree with the quote below...

Susan Shown Harjo
wrote:
"It's not up to the offending class to say what offends the offended."
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu May 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:I'm indifferent. However, I also agree with the quote below...

Susan Shown Harjo
wrote:
"It's not up to the offending class to say what offends the offended."

Well said.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu May 02, 2013 8:09 pm

Redskins Reparations wrote:When was the last time a professional sports franchise changed their name due to public pressure and/or political correctness?

Bullets to Wizards?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu May 02, 2013 9:09 pm

4 in 5 Americans polled say that the Redskins should not change their name. only 11 percent say that they should.

But a new Associated Press-GfK poll shows that nationally, “Redskins” still enjoys wide support. Nearly four in five Americans don’t think the team should change its name, the survey found. Only 11 percent think it should be changed, while 8 percent weren’t sure and 2 percent didn’t answer.

Although 79 percent favor keeping the name, that does represent a 10 percentage point drop from the last national poll on the subject, conducted in 1992 by The Washington Post and ABC News just before the team won its most recent Super Bowl. Then, 89 percent said the name should not be changed, and 7 percent said it should.

The AP-GfK poll was conducted from April 11-15. It included interviews with 1,004 adults on both land lines and cellphones. It has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3.9 percentage points.

Several poll respondents told The AP that they did not consider the name offensive and cited tradition in arguing that it shouldn’t change.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ap-gfk-poll-finds-widespread-support-for-redskins-name-4-in-5-americans-say-dont-change-it/2013/05/02/6bb42b32-b345-11e2-9fb1-62de9581c946_story.html
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Postby yupchagee » Thu May 02, 2013 10:42 pm

Deadskins wrote:
Redskins Reparations wrote:When was the last time a professional sports franchise changed their name due to public pressure and/or political correctness?

Bullets to Wizards?

That wasn't public pressure. The owner did that after the Rabin asasination.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu May 02, 2013 11:40 pm

yupchagee wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

Bullets to Wizards?

Wow didn't know that. Thought it was a political move.

BTW you guys ever hear of a bakery company called "Bimbo Bakeries"? They're actually a very large company across the nation (not sure if they're international).

I'd think that if we're going after company names, there's a lot worse out there than what we're dealing with.

Hog

Postby jmooney » Fri May 03, 2013 3:47 am

I dont see where Redskins is any more offensive to Native Americans than the name Giants is to fat people.

I would bet the name Giant has been used more often in a derogatory manor to describe the obese than Redskin has to describe native americans.

While were at it, theives everywhere should request Pittsburgh's name to be changed and shouldnt the gay community be upset with Green Bay.

Thats how ridiculous this really is

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri May 03, 2013 6:20 am

yupchagee wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

Bullets to Wizards?

It was still political correctness. :roll:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football