Former WVU QB Pat White Signed

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:08 pm

At this time, we only have 3 QBs - RG3 will not be fully ready to participate for a while yet

while the Redskins last season ran a version of the read option - the Redskins offense is VERY different from what the Seattle and 49ers run

and

The Redskins (Mike & Kyle) came up with a version of the read option to 'help' out RG3 - Kyle and Mike were very creative but they did not really understand RG3's full talent and ability :D

Russell Wilson and Colin K cannot run like RG3 and they do not have his arm or his head for the game - they're good, RG3 is great

the first few teams that we face this year are going to be TOTALLY unprepared for what our offense is going to do to them - this is NOT your basic read option - THIS will be MUCH BETTER :D
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - we'll win some games but it will take years to be good again

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:55 am

Honestly, this is a very good move in that White can come in and fill RGIII's role in the pre-season and practice so the offense is pistol-offense-rusty come week 1. White is clearly better suited for the pistol than KC or Grossman.

Once RGIII is back, I don't see how he will be on the active roster seeing how MS suited only 2 active QBs in games last year.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:09 am

markshark84 wrote:Honestly, this is a very good move in that White can come in and fill RGIII's role in the pre-season and practice so the offense is pistol-offense-rusty come week 1. White is clearly better suited for the pistol than KC or Grossman.

Once RGIII is back, I don't see how he will be on the active roster seeing how MS suited only 2 active QBs in games last year.

I think you guys have to start thinking outside the box. As I and someone else have been saying since the 1st page, this kid is an athlete. He really wasn't that great of a QB in the pro's, he's only thrown 5 passes in his entire career... Correct me if I'm wrong. So, what is he here for outside of being fodder?

1. He's not getting released so that the Giants can scoop him up in September and know our currect offense...
2. Soooo.... That means he will be on the team. So what will he do?
3. Is he a WR? Not really...
4. Is he a RB? Not really...
5. Is he a QB, but title only...
6. So what is he? He's a utility player for us.

Let your imaginations run wild. Don't forget that Kyle introduced the newest flavor of the month to the NFL last year. Don't put it past them to do it again.

Does Pat line up with RGIII and defenses have to guess who the ball gets snapped to?

Does RGIII pith to Pat who has enough of an arm to still be a passing threat?

Do we option to Pat, who basically still has options. An option in an option. lolol.

Do we utilize the WildCat next year? Does it simply because another wrinkle, something else for defenses to prepare for. With our heavy ground game, the WC could be viable for us. Subject Pat to the WildCat and leave RGIII out of it. #shrug

We need to stop thinking of him as ONLY a QB and it'll start to make more sense. We potentially got our Percy Harvin, albeit with a diff skillset. He just happens to have been a QB, run the option and be available for cheap.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby 44diesel » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:17 am

I know someone posted this link a while back in another thread, but CLL's point made me think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nUJkVIX0jI

Wishful thinking, probably, but it's fun to think about the possibilities having two QBs can bring to an offense and as CT pointed out, Kyle was not afraid to get creative last year. Although sometimes too creative (RGIII catching that pass in the Steelers game).

At the very least it's fun to think this move may make some D-Coordinators sweat a little bit more this year.
"Givin'em the Business!"

Hog

Postby 44diesel » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:31 am

Also, if we were to adapt a "wildcat" or something along those lines, it's nice to have another player to run with and save RGIII from a hit or two.
"Givin'em the Business!"

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:37 am

there is no doubt that Kyle deserves a lot of kudos for designing a game plan based on the read option offense and the skills that RG3 has - I think that will be expanded on a lot

I think that these guys did not just bring this kid in because he provides an extra QB - this guy is a little bit different and really could 'fit' right in here because of the skill sets he has

a lot of these coaches are trying to achieve 2 things - game plan to suit the players they have AND try and keep the opposing coaches guessing as much as possible

we won the NFC East mainly because the opposing teams could not figure out what they were looking at - the Giants defense in particular, looked like they did not have a clue and were 'guessing' :lol:
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - we'll win some games but it will take years to be good again

Hog

Postby Hooligan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:50 pm

I really don't think the offense this year is going to show as much of the read option as we've seen. I think that was a way to get RG3 up to speed fast, and it happened to confuse a lot of our opponents. This year, I think we'll look a lot like the offense that Cousins ran when he was at QB, with a small handful of QB runs just to keep defenses keyed on it. I'll eat my hat if we use the wildcat regularly.

White is camp fodder to mimic RG3 and some of our athletic opponents.
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:51 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
markshark84 wrote:Honestly, this is a very good move in that White can come in and fill RGIII's role in the pre-season and practice so the offense is pistol-offense-rusty come week 1. White is clearly better suited for the pistol than KC or Grossman.

I think you guys have to start thinking outside the box. As I and someone else have been saying since the 1st page, this kid is an athlete. He really wasn't that great of a QB in the pro's, he's only thrown 5 passes in his entire career... Correct me if I'm wrong. So, what is he here for outside of being fodder?

1. He's not getting released so that the Giants can scoop him up in September and know our currect offense...
2. Soooo.... That means he will be on the team. So what will he do?
3. Is he a WR? Not really...
4. Is he a RB? Not really...
5. Is he a QB, but title only...
6. So what is he? He's a utility player for us.

Let your imaginations run wild. Don't forget that Kyle introduced the newest flavor of the month to the NFL last year. Don't put it past them to do it again.

Does Pat line up with RGIII and defenses have to guess who the ball gets snapped to?

Does RGIII pith to Pat who has enough of an arm to still be a passing threat?

Do we option to Pat, who basically still has options. An option in an option. lolol.

Do we utilize the WildCat next year? Does it simply because another wrinkle, something else for defenses to prepare for. With our heavy ground game, the WC could be viable for us. Subject Pat to the WildCat and leave RGIII out of it. #shrug

We need to stop thinking of him as ONLY a QB and it'll start to make more sense. We potentially got our Percy Harvin, albeit with a diff skillset. He just happens to have been a QB, run the option and be available for cheap.

I did think of a different array of scenarios. But you have to remember that this is a guy that was most recently CUT by the Virginia Destroyers of the UFL and hasn't played football in nearly 2 years.

Do you really think that MS/KS are going to "design" plays for him? There are better and fresher "athletes" available other than White if MS/KS want to integrate them into the offensive system.

Thinking thru your scenarios.
1. If White and RGIII were to line up together in the pistol ---- yes you wouldn't know who the ball was going to be snapped to, BUT in the case where it went to White ----- what does RGIII do????? Does KS send him out for a pass --- NO. Does he set him up on the other side of the field for a double pass ---- NO. Giving it to White would essentially take RGIII out of the play --- which isn't what is best for the offense.
2. Double option??? An option pass isn't exactly a lateral. It's more of an across pitch. White wouldn't be in the position to throw and defenses would be on him. This would be too high risk.
3. Pistol > Wildcat. No need for both. Especially because defensive preparation for both is VERY similar --- almost exact.

I have thought about White as a player and our coaching staff. Honestly, the first thing I thought about was whether he could be utilized as a KR. But at the end of the day, he was only in the league a year or 2 and is still eligible to be a practice player. I could see him filling in for RGIII and then getting placed on the practice team --- which would force the NYG or any other division rival to sign him to their 53 in order to get him. Personally, that is what I think is the most likely scenario.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:01 pm

That was an interesting post CLL, but I'm not sure I buy your first bullet:

If I misread that as just hypothetical thinking outside the box I apologize. I just find it hard to believe that we would be guaranteeing a roster spot in March - even a practice squad spot - to a guy who hasn't played in what 2 or 3 years?

I liked the other thoughts outside the box though. I wish RGIII was healthy already so we could possibly see some of this!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:11 pm

markshark84 wrote:I did think of a different array of scenarios. But you have to remember that this is a guy that was most recently CUT by the Virginia Destroyers of the UFL and hasn't played football in nearly 2 years.

With that train of thought, he's not even fit to replicate RGIII.

markshark84 wrote:Do you really think that MS/KS are going to "design" plays for him? There are better and fresher "athletes" available other than White if MS/KS want to integrate them into the offensive system.

Why wouldn't they? Who else currently on the roster posseses his skillset? Nobody outside of RGIII.

markshark84 wrote:
Thinking thru your scenarios.
1. If White and RGIII were to line up together in the pistol ---- yes you wouldn't know who the ball was going to be snapped to, BUT in the case where it went to White ----- what does RGIII do????? Does KS send him out for a pass --- NO. Does he set him up on the other side of the field for a double pass ---- NO. Giving it to White would essentially take RGIII out of the play --- which isn't what is best for the offense.

Wrong. It doesn't take RGIII out of the play. The whole premise is deception, that's what this offense was built on and doing something similiar would further build upon it. If you have both player acting as if they've received the ball, RGIII can take 3 steps and put his hands up. That WILL freeze the defense, someone WILL have to look at him and respect his ability.

Nobody is talking about sending Robert out on passes, let's be real here. We're talking deception. We're talking opening up our WR's. We're talking about freezing LB's.

markshark84 wrote:2. Double option??? An option pass isn't exactly a lateral. It's more of an across pitch. White wouldn't be in the position to throw and defenses would be on him. This would be too high risk.

That was said moreso jokingly...and option inside of an option. However, Pat does offer the ability to somewhat decently throw the ball while on the run and/or while having the option to run it or dish it.

markshark84 wrote:3. Pistol > Wildcat. No need for both. Especially because defensive preparation for both is VERY similar --- almost exact.

I disagree. The more things a defense has to prepare for, the less prepared they are for your traditional offense. Mike Shanahan has said it, and afer listening to Trent Dilfers interviews with ESPN 980 last year, he's said it. Mike/Kyle overwhelmed defenses with possibilities when in-fact they really ran their "regular" offense but did so out of the pistol formation. Adding in another wrinkle, or the appearance there of will further propel us forward.

markshark84 wrote:I could see him filling in for RGIII and then getting placed on the practice team --- which would force the NYG or any other division rival to sign him to their 53 in order to get him. Personally, that is what I think is the most likely scenario.

And what you find to be the most likely scenario would completely go against everything Mike Shanahan stands for. Mike, one of the most secretive coaches in the league is going to have Pat run RGIII's offense for 5 months straight... And then allow another team to get him? A divisional rival at that?!

Let's think about this logical for a second.

- The Giants wanted him now, so that he could mimic RGIII.
- So you actually believe Mike is going to train Pat in the offense that RGIII will be running so that he can then go to the Giants and provide an even more accurate portroyal of RGIII. As my coworker would say... "THAT. IS. LUDICROUS." It would completely.... Like... Word don't even come to mind to express how much sense that doesn't make.

SkinsJock wrote:Russell Wilson and Colin K cannot run like RG3 and they do not have his arm or his head for the game - they're good, RG3 is great

I think RGIII's speed isn't as important as we'd all like to believe.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:23 pm

Hooligan wrote:I really don't think the offense this year is going to show as much of the read option as we've seen. I think that was a way to get RG3 up to speed fast, and it happened to confuse a lot of our opponents. This year, I think we'll look a lot like the offense that Cousins ran when he was at QB, with a small handful of QB runs just to keep defenses keyed on it. I'll eat my hat if we use the wildcat regularly.

I agree on your wildcat point. I don't think it helps us with anything. Not even close to the benefit we got from the pistol.

By the way, the offense that Kurt ran at QB was virtually the same offense that RGIII, the difference was/is that NO ONE ON EARTH would have bought the deception attempted by putting Kirk in the pistol. We ran much of our "base" package out of the pistol formation with Robert BECAUSE it added hesitation to the defense in trying to figure out what in the hell we'd be doing out of it.

To be clear, not one thing that Kirk ran wasn't run by RGIII (and out of more formations, to boot).

As a matter of a difference of opinion, I don't think the read option had anything to do with getting Robert up to speed. I think Robert was completely up to speed, but Kyle recognized that there was far more flexibility in what Robert could do out of all kinds of crazy formations and packages, so why not?
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:09 pm

I'm not sayin that I want these things to happen, just that I could see it occurring.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:22 pm

Change-of-pace back.

Punt return.

4th or 5th WR.

Comes on for a play when Griff needs a breather after a 40 yard scamper.

ETC.

I don't see teaching him a large chunk of playbook then cutting him.

TREMENDOUS ATHLETE.

I bet he's real excited to be here.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:45 pm

The fact is we all don't know what he was brought here to do. One thing I think we can agree on is if the Giants wanted him, us keeping him is a way to further screw the Giants. He will be on our squad for nothing more than spite, that I do believe.....Thoughts????

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:13 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:The fact is we all don't know what he was brought here to do. One thing I think we can agree on is if the Giants wanted him, us keeping him is a way to further screw the Giants. He will be on our squad for nothing more than spite, that I do believe.....Thoughts????

Good enough for me right there.. I know Shanny has a vendetta for the NYG so anything to screw them back, even if just a little, is par for course.

Hopefully homey actually got skillz and takes this opportunity to play w RGiii and company -back in the NFL- to heart , and can make the best of it. Its safe to say NO one knows what he is or can be, what his priorities are, or how he will perform under the pressure. We are no longer paying for yesterdays talents, we now make everyone earn it- then prove they deserve it. Nothing better then a player with something to prove!

.. and the ones that step up and handle it, will succeed here.. this guy could have a big season in some roll, like AAA fresh from UFL and had a great rookie year.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football