Redskins Offseason Resignings

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:49 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:
cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:
spudstr04 wrote:@incarceratedbob reporting Fred Davis back to #Redskins. Has been ahead on some things.

I'm very relieved about this at this point. Heard rumors Seattle was interested in him. :evil:

So long as its not just a rumor too!

Yeah...guess I am getting all relieved prematurely :? Here's hoping for the best...

That's what she said!

Lmmfao!

..... Did he sign yet? Ive been avoiding making eye contact with the bottom line on espn all week!

HAHAHAHA!!!

I don't know brother. I'm in the same boat as you. Just kinda waiting for a brave soul to post the latest. Been a hard week to not be glued to the internet and not working :lol:

spudstr04

Postby spudstr04 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:42 pm

OT Tyler Polumbus re-signs - 2 year deal
#21 = Forever in our hearts

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:48 pm

spudstr04 wrote:OT Tyler Polumbus re-signs - 2 year deal

Sounds good to me! I like the idea of upgrading at RT but bringing Polumbus back gives us a decent baseline to work from. I was a little concerned with us only having those two vets coming off injuries.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Postby skinsfan#33 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:40 pm

Don't know if I would call Pashos our Trueblood and upgrade. They might end up being an upgrade but I don't see it yet. My guess is one of the three makes the 53 man roster, two of them at the max.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:47 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:Don't know if I would call Pashos our Trueblood and upgrade. They might end up being an upgrade but I don't see it yet. My guess is one of the three makes the 53 man roster, two of them at the max.

I don't think either are an upgrade. I said I like the idea of upgrading, but we have yet to see it. I'm still holding out hope for Eric Winston, though the sheer numbers at RT make me think that's getting to be unlikely.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:29 pm

Mike and the boys have a plan

and

we will be 'better off' than we were at CB, FS and RT

and

we will have depth - maybe not as great as we'd like, but, we will have depth
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "the things we’re doing are things he’s comfortable with & complement his strengths"

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:41 am

SkinsJock wrote:Mike and the boys have a plan

and

we will be 'better off' than we were at CB, FS and RT

and

we will have depth - maybe not as great as we'd like, but, we will have depth

SJ,
We all know you get paid to be the Mike AND Bruce propaganda machine here, but let's just turn off that machine for a little bit to answer this question.
How do you think we will get better at those spots?

If your answer is that the answer is already on the roster then I would counter with. If any of our backups from last year can step in and improve those spots then why didn't they get a crack last year? And if they do that would mean we got worse at that backup spot.

If your answer is the draft then I would say that is pretty unreasonable to expect 3 starters from the draft that are an improvement over what we had.

If your answer is FA, then who?

But I really think your answer is you haven't got a frakkin clue and you just make statements like that out of blind homerism!

Now I'm not saying your wrong and I do have a lot of faith in what they are doing, but it doesn't prevent me from questioning the work in progress. However, I would say the odds are, based on our resources we will be at best better at one spot, even at the other, and worse at the third spot. Now, I hope I am completely wrong, but my scenario is MUCH more likely than yours!

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:18 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:How do you think we will get better at those spots?

If your answer is that the answer is already on the roster then I would counter with. If any of our backups from last year can step in and improve those spots then why didn't they get a crack last year? And if they do that would mean we got worse at that backup spot.

If your answer is the draft then I would say that is pretty unreasonable to expect 3 starters from the draft that are an improvement over what we had.

Skinsjock can fight his own battles, but I will say that the answer is probably not on the roster at Cornerback. But, Tanard Jackson is on the roster, and was the starter going into last year. Believing him to be an upgrade over Madieu Williams isn't a stretch...and we don't need to draft or sign him.

As for Corner. The answer is not on the roster. We will need to add someone. But, I don't think it's a stretch to think that you can address that spot with a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Fred Smoot came in and played right away his rookie year with Champ Bailey. Depending on how the draft shakes out, we can address corner in it.

I agree with you on Right Tackle. But, this was Top 5 offense last year. Polumbus is the weakest link, but that's not as glaring of a hole as some people think.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:18 am

Skinsjock can fight his own battles, but I will say that the answer is probably not on the roster at Cornerback. But, Tanard Jackson is on the roster, and was the starter going into last year. Believing him to be an upgrade over Madieu Williams isn't a stretch...and we don't need to draft or sign him.

As for Corner. The answer is not on the roster. We will need to add someone. But, I don't think it's a stretch to think that you can address that spot with a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Fred Smoot came in and played right away his rookie year with Champ Bailey. Depending on how the draft shakes out, we can address corner in it.

I agree with you on Right Tackle. But, this was Top 5 offense last year. Polumbus is the weakest link, but that's not as glaring of a hole as some people think.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:35 am

+1
And I will add that backups who didn't crack the starting lineup last season, may still be works in progress. Not every player steps in as a starter in his rookie season. There is a learning curve form the majority of NFL players, and sometimes it takes a year or two to learn the game at the higher level, especially if there is a position change involved.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:05 am

The Hogster wrote:

I don't think Tenard Jackson is technically on the roster, but even if he is he is still suspended for life from the NFL. Now most assume he will be reinstated a few days before the season starts, but what if that doesn't happen. Or he fails yet another drug test (definitely probable). He is most likely and upgrade over Madoodoo. I'll agree with that, but will he be on the team?

Dreading a CB in the 2nd or third round and expecting him to be an upgrade next year over DHall is bad odds. Vegas would side on that not working out and take every dollar they could get because the odds are it is easy money for them. Smoot at his best wasn't as good as DHalll was last year and he was a good draft pick. Yes. We could get a BC in those rounds that is an improvement over Hall, but the odds aren't very good.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:21 am

Deadskins wrote:+1
And I will add that backups who didn't crack the starting lineup last season, may still be works in progress. Not every player steps in as a starter in his rookie season. There is a learning curve form the majority of NFL players, and sometimes it takes a year or two to learn the game at the higher level, especially if there is a position change involved.

I agree with this and hope all of out younger players do get better. But if any step into a starting rule, then that means we got worse at the back up spot.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:24 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:

I agree with this and hope all of out younger players do get better. But if any step into a starting rule, then that means we got worse at the back up spot.

How do you figure? If the the old starter now becomes the new backup, how does that make our backup situation worse?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:28 am

Deadskins wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:

How do you figure? If the the old starter now becomes the new backup, how does that make our backup situation worse?

Usually that isn't what happens. If a back up Atlanta the starter on an off season the old starter is normally cut. Leaving the back up to the back up to fill that roll. The only place I could see that happening is at RT. It definitely can't happen at CB.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:00 pm

I don't think Tenard Jackson is technically on the roster,

He is on the roster. The team, knowing his situation, opted to keep him.

but even if he is he is still suspended for life from the NFL.

No he isn't. His suspension was "indefinite" because he had been in the NFL Substance Abuse program and had offended multiple times. An indefinite suspension is not "for life." It means that he has to comply with rules before being reinstated. Even Michael Vick--who served 2 years in Federal prison, and was suspended indefinitely. What makes you think Jackson will not be? I'd be curious if you have any precedent you're basing this on or if you're just being pessimistic.

Now most assume he will be reinstated a few days before the season starts, but what if that doesn't happen. Or he fails yet another drug test (definitely probable). He is most likely and upgrade over Madoodoo. I'll agree with that, but will he be on the team?

Most assume that because that's what generally happens. I can't recall a player who smoked himself out of the NFL and garnered a ban for life. Some guys have been in the program and just weren't worth bringing in. But, Jackson is talented. Shanahan likes him enough to have kept his rights through this suspension, and we are in need of someone with talent that plays his position. He fills a need, is talented and is cheap.

Dreading a CB in the 2nd or third round and expecting him to be an upgrade next year over DHall is bad odds. Vegas would side on that not working out and take every dollar they could get because the odds are it is easy money for them. Smoot at his best wasn't as good as DHalll was last year and he was a good draft pick. Yes. We could get a BC in those rounds that is an improvement over Hall, but the odds aren't very good.

I don't agree with your philosophy here. D Hall is a veteran playmaker who made the Pro Bowl. But, I don't recall winning any Superbowls with him, or any other team for that matter. We don't need a guy to be better than him in order to be an upgrade. If a young player can come in and play well within the system, and this secondary--with the return of Jackson and Merriweather, and an improved PASS RUSH with Carriker and Orakpo back, then the team can still improve.

How many years did we bring in talented guys who didn't play well, or play hard, or gel within the system? That's not how you build a winning team.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football