Fred Davis (resign him now)

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:37 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:Considering he is coming off an injury and hasn't played a full season for two years now.

Your concern is more accurate in regards to Orakpo than Davis... You speak about these last two seasons as if the incidents are somehow related. The suspension was his fault, he served his sentence, lets get the hell over it. His injury is just that, an injury. This is football, it happens.

- RGIII got injured this year... Tore his knee up being selfish, let's hold that against him.

- Fletcher is old, and honestly prolly should have missed a game or two but the streak was kept alive. I'm sure there's someone out there that'll hold that against him. And trust me, if we had lost on a TD pass to a TE on which he had coverage, he'd get destroyed on this board.

- Laron Landry, achilles problem right? Healed it his way, he went to the probowl...

Too much is being made of this.

+1 :celebrate:
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

piggie

Postby fetus » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:55 am

^ +2

emoses14 wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:
redskinz4ever wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:Davis is very talented but when is he going to put it all together? If Davis takes an incentive laden contract thats fine with me.
Personally I like Paulsen. Paulsen can catch the rock, is a big target and blocks like a beast.
well said :!:

He was putting it together last season but got injured. I can't hold that against him. As far as "putting it together" in previous years, the team was garbage. Nobody had anything together. Look at the year Moss had in 2012, everyone thought he was washed up. If Davis doesn't get injured, he has a banner year.

Look at the TD pass he caught that was negated (the play before his injury). Paulsen isn't atheltic enough to make that play. I like Paulsen, he's a great asset and really stepped up. He's better than anyone gave him credit for, but let's not turn him into a mystical unicorn either. Paulsen isn't the future of the TE position. Davis's athelticism is something defenses have to account for, not Paulsen's.

But Davis hasn't completed two straight seasons! He's clearly injury prone what with that torn Achilles and all. That injury is like a kiss of death. He's not an elite talent, his production is awful. Cooley would have been a better option last year, if only Mike hadn't screwed him out of a roster spot. We can easily replace Davis with a player picked in 4th or 5th round of the draft, because let's be honest Paulsen was an undrafted free agent and he's CLEARLY better than Davis. Unless Davis accepts a(n (INCREDIBLY ASININE) low ball contract that pays him 1.3 million per year with incentive to 2.5 million per, he's is SO NOT WORTH IT!!!

Did I cover everything?

Cooley came back and did absolutely nothing. Cooley is not worth anything but a back up spot anymore, at one time yes he was great and is one of the top TE's this team will ever see but, lets face it he is older now and at most will fill a roster spot.
Paulsen better than Davis.... give me a break.... that is all that needs to be said.
Davis had a hell of a 2011 once he decided to stop trying to leap frog every tackler(remember that...ugh) and would have more than likely done the same or more in 2012 but got injured. The guy gets injured for one season and now he is injury prone and isn't better than a UFA :?:

Honestly, keep him here, he is better for us than he is against us and looks to be a promising young player that will be with us for years to come, and who are we going to put in his place if we let him walk?
Paulsen..... I like the guy but not as a starter, and Niles Paul... back-up. Cooley shouldn't be here any longer
RGIII and the terrible D

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:32 pm

I've heard that Davis has either accepted an incentive laden contract or that the Redskins were working up an incentive laden contract.

Can anyone confirm?

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:32 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:

My problem is will the guy play a full season with us. I mean he gets suspended towards the end of one season missing games. Then I hear crap in the offseason that he has legal issues. Which may or may not affect him being on the team. Then he gets injured this year. He just hasnt been on the field much in the past two years. Whats next?

2008- 11 games played; healthy for all 16 (couldn't get past Cooley and on the field in beginning of the year)
2009- 16 games played
2010- 16 games played
2011- 12 games played. 4 MISSED DUE TO SUSPENSION, NOT INJURY
2012- 7 games played. Torn Achiles in 8th game.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:35 pm

emoses14 wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:

My problem is will the guy play a full season with us. I mean he gets suspended towards the end of one season missing games. Then I hear crap in the offseason that he has legal issues. Which may or may not affect him being on the team. Then he gets injured this year. He just hasnt been on the field much in the past two years. Whats next?

2008- 11 games played; healthy for all 16 (couldn't get past Cooley and on the field in beginning of the year)
2009- 16 games played
2010- 16 games played
2011- 12 games played. 4 MISSED DUE TO SUSPENSION, NOT INJURY
2012- 7 games played. Torn Achiles in 8th game.

Hmm...that doesn't look as bad as I originally thought. Thanks for the post!!

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:44 pm

fetus wrote:^ +2

emoses14 wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:
redskinz4ever wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:Davis is very talented but when is he going to put it all together? If Davis takes an incentive laden contract thats fine with me.
Personally I like Paulsen. Paulsen can catch the rock, is a big target and blocks like a beast.

He was putting it together last season but got injured. I can't hold that against him. As far as "putting it together" in previous years, the team was garbage. Nobody had anything together. Look at the year Moss had in 2012, everyone thought he was washed up. If Davis doesn't get injured, he has a banner year.

Look at the TD pass he caught that was negated (the play before his injury). Paulsen isn't atheltic enough to make that play. I like Paulsen, he's a great asset and really stepped up. He's better than anyone gave him credit for, but let's not turn him into a mystical unicorn either. Paulsen isn't the future of the TE position. Davis's athelticism is something defenses have to account for, not Paulsen's.

But Davis hasn't completed two straight seasons! He's clearly injury prone what with that torn Achilles and all. That injury is like a kiss of death. He's not an elite talent, his production is awful. Cooley would have been a better option last year, if only Mike hadn't screwed him out of a roster spot. We can easily replace Davis with a player picked in 4th or 5th round of the draft, because let's be honest Paulsen was an undrafted free agent and he's CLEARLY better than Davis. Unless Davis accepts a(n (INCREDIBLY ASININE) low ball contract that pays him 1.3 million per year with incentive to 2.5 million per, he's is SO NOT WORTH IT!!!

Did I cover everything?

Cooley came back and did absolutely nothing. Cooley is not worth anything but a back up spot anymore, at one time yes he was great and is one of the top TE's this team will ever see but, lets face it he is older now and at most will fill a roster spot.
Paulsen better than Davis.... give me a break.... that is all that needs to be said.
Davis had a hell of a 2011 once he decided to stop trying to leap frog every tackler(remember that...ugh) and would have more than likely done the same or more in 2012 but got injured. The guy gets injured for one season and now he is injury prone and isn't better than a UFA :?:

Honestly, keep him here, he is better for us than he is against us and looks to be a promising young player that will be with us for years to come, and who are we going to put in his place if we let him walk?
Paulsen..... I like the guy but not as a starter, and Niles Paul... back-up. Cooley shouldn't be here any longer

I guess this is my fault, CLL, you weren't the only one.

That post from me was PURE SARCASM. I 100% agree with your response to it, fetus.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:10 pm

1niksder wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:Considering he is coming off an injury and hasn't played a full season for two years now.

Your concern is more accurate in regards to Orakpo than Davis... You speak about these last two seasons as if the incidents are somehow related. The suspension was his fault, he served his sentence, lets get the hell over it. His injury is just that, an injury. This is football, it happens.

- RGIII got injured this year... Tore his knee up being selfish, let's hold that against him.

- Fletcher is old, and honestly prolly should have missed a game or two but the streak was kept alive. I'm sure there's someone out there that'll hold that against him. And trust me, if we had lost on a TD pass to a TE on which he had coverage, he'd get destroyed on this board.

- Laron Landry, achilles problem right? Healed it his way, he went to the probowl...

I like it all except for the Laron Landry part. We were smart to let him go.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:12 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
1niksder wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:

I like it all except for the Laron Landry part. We were smart to let him go.

I should have clarified. We weren't unjustified and/or wrong in releasing him. I was more-so targeting the mindset that Fred's injury is apparently fatal. :lol: He can come back from it.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:27 pm

Oh, I see. Right on, then. :up:
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

piggie

Postby fetus » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:59 pm

emoses14 wrote:
fetus wrote:^ +2

emoses14 wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:
redskinz4ever wrote:

Did I cover everything?

I guess this is my fault, CLL, you weren't the only one.

That post from me was PURE SARCASM. I 100% agree with your response to it, fetus.

Well, I feel like a ass now
RGIII and the terrible D

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:32 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:

Like I said Im fine with us resigning him. I actually think an incentive laden deal is fair. You think an incentive laden deal is not fair?

What if the incentives pay him more then the other top tight ends? Depends on the contract written up. He could have a monster season and meet the incentives.

I also think Paulsen has more talent then you guys are giving him credit for. Paulsen reminds me of Heath Miller. Tall, big, strong has good hands and can block really well.

Now I do understand that Paulsen is under his rookie contract and we can have both Davis and Paulsen. Davis is far superior running routes however Paulsen is far superior blocking. With our QB the value of another quality blocker in Paulsen is high.

:D
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:54 am

HEROHAMO wrote:Davis is far superior running routes however Paulsen is far superior blocking. With our QB the value of another quality blocker in Paulsen is high.

You're not giving Davis enough credit in regards to his blocking. I've recently sat and watched 4 games prior to his injury and our running game was POTENT.

There's a larger gap in between Paulsen and Davis's route running than there is between their run blocking.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:37 pm

^^ +1 - the Redskins may keep both ... BUT there's no doubt that Davis is the better of the 2
always look on the bright side of life

Hail to the Redskins

piggie

Postby capitaldefense » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:15 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:Davis is far superior running routes however Paulsen is far superior blocking. With our QB the value of another quality blocker in Paulsen is high.

You're not giving Davis enough credit in regards to his blocking. I've recently sat and watched 4 games prior to his injury and our running game was POTENT.

There's a larger gap in between Paulsen and Davis's route running than there is between their run blocking.

Good point, not sure what exact game Davis got hurt but we rushed for 1330 yards our first 8 games and 1379 our last 8 games. Very balanced numbers as far a rushing the ball goes and like you said no comparison in the passing game. I do not want to put Paulsen down though, because every team needs players that. Ones that will do the dirty work and he does a lot of it and he plays on special teams as a blocker as well.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:46 pm

capitaldefense wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:

Good point, not sure what exact game Davis got hurt but we rushed for 1330 yards our first 8 games and 1379 our last 8 games. Very balanced numbers as far a rushing the ball goes and like you said no comparison in the passing game. I do not want to put Paulsen down though, because every team needs players that. Ones that will do the dirty work and he does a lot of it and he plays on special teams as a blocker as well.

I love Paulsen too. He's a helluva player and showed his greatness in how he didn't cause the them to miss a beat. He did his job extremely well and raised his game.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football