Kickoffs and Playoffs

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:04 pm

I have an idea for kickoffs that makes them much safer and more interesting ... I think.

It turns out punts are much safer than kickoffs and the feeling is it's because punts are plays from scrimmage with the usual number of offensive players required at the line. Defenders try to impede gunners and other defenders end up running down field and then turning around to block. Combine all this with fair catches when a returner has someone bearing down on him and you rarely get high-speed collisions. Here's the idea:

Make kickoffs a place kick with a holder and no tee. Require 7 men from the kicking team to be on the line. This ball must be kicked, i.e., no fakes. An onside kick could still be attempted. This kickoff is blockable. Place the ball at the 50 yard line.

Good kickers would put the ball in the endzone and sometimes through it. The latter would mean 67+ yards with a 2-step or 3-step approach. Almost all the stuff that happens on punts should apply with regard to high speed collisions.

I have not heard this anywhere else. I think it would bring a lot of excitement and would have the advantage of tweaking the kickoff without eliminating it.

They could at least try it in pre-season.

Thoughts?

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:10 pm

DarthMonk wrote:I have an idea for kickoffs that makes them much safer and more interesting ... I think.

It turns out punts are much safer than kickoffs and the feeling is it's because punts are plays from scrimmage with the usual number of offensive players required at the line. Defenders try to impede gunners and other defenders end up running down field and then turning around to block. Combine all this with fair catches when a returner has someone bearing down on him and you rarely get high-speed collisions. Here's the idea:

Make kickoffs a place kick with a holder and no tee. Require 7 men from the kicking team to be on the line. This ball must be kicked, i.e., no fakes. An onside kick could still be attempted. This kickoff is blockable. Place the ball at the 50 yard line.

Good kickers would put the ball in the endzone and sometimes through it. The latter would mean 67+ yards with a 2-step or 3-step approach. Almost all the stuff that happens on punts should apply with regard to high speed collisions.

I have not heard this anywhere else. I think it would bring a lot of excitement and would have the advantage of tweaking the kickoff without eliminating it.

Thoughts?

DarthMonk

Would you get 3 if you put through the uprights?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:01 am

Deadskins wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:I have an idea for kickoffs that makes them much safer and more interesting ... I think.

Thoughts?

DarthMonk

Would you get 3 if you put through the uprights?

No. It's a kickoff not a FG attempt.

Any other thoughts?
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to Around the League