Trent Williams

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:42 pm

crazyhorse1 wrote:
Bob 0119 wrote:I think our Oline benefits more from scheme and star-power of RGIII and Morris than anything.

I believe If RGIII had as much time in the pocket as Eli Manning, our offense would score 50 points a game.

Maybe not 50, but much more than we do. We simply don't have a talented offensive line. If RG3 becomes less a threat because of his knee, Alfred won't run even close to 1600 yards and RG3's passing stats will take a dive. I hate to say it, but I see a lean year coming that will expose our weaknesses. We've got to get some talent in the off-season. On the offensive side, we need significant upgrades at WR, RT, RG, LG. Our needs are even more critical on defense.

"Much more than we do" would be setting NFL records. You don't even get close to that without a competent line, so I disagree with your assessment.

The only area on the o-line that needs a "significant" upgrade is RT. (I'm now hoping we can get Winston.) Polumbus would be a great backup RT. I think Chester is OK but a new starter there would help us. Between Lichtensteiger and LeReibus, though, the LG should be set for next year. I see LeReibus pushing for the starting role in training camp.

The truth is that we are not at all far away from having a solid unit — really just one player, two if we get greedy. And we finally appear to have enough depth, which was the scariest part of our line several years ago.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:44 pm

The Hogster wrote:Trent Williams is Training With Adrian Peterson

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/03/06/trent-williams-is-training-with-adrian-peterson/

Let’s get it,” Adrian Peterson tweeted this week, along with the above action photo.
Nice image of a guy refusing to relax despite a 2,000-yard season. For Redskins fans, though, the highlight of the picture was located one treadmill over. That’s franchise left tackle Trent Williams in the neon green sneaks, working out with the all-world running back. A lineman working out with a running back?

“Depending on what we’re doing, he definitely gets in there with AD, and they mix it up pretty good, to be honest with you,” their Houston-based trainer James Cooper told me this week. “Unlike some guys that keep playing, [Williams] actually wants to get faster and he wants to get stronger every year. He’s jumping. He’s not jumping the same as AD, but they’re going neck and neck on 42-inches Plyo Boxes — Adrian actually has the 46-inch boxes too.
“He’s exploding pretty high,” Cooper said of the lineman. “He’s competing. It’s fun to watch him go with the little guys. I’ve got a lot of linemen, and they don’t want to run 200s and 300-meter sprints. And Trent gets out there and he runs the 300-meter sprints, he runs the 200s, the 150s. And I push him at a pretty fast pace. He’s a pretty fast guy for his size already, pretty nimble, but it’s because he really works on it. Like I tell him, just because you’re big doesn’t mean you have to play slow. You should be able to play as quick as the lightest guy — that should be the goal.”

How is this for maturity?

This is all a page back. That's why the thread got top-posted. Maybe I shoulda started a new thread.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:46 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
The Hogster wrote:Trent Williams is Training With Adrian Peterson

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/03/06/trent-williams-is-training-with-adrian-peterson/

Let’s get it,” Adrian Peterson tweeted this week, along with the above action photo.
Nice image of a guy refusing to relax despite a 2,000-yard season. For Redskins fans, though, the highlight of the picture was located one treadmill over. That’s franchise left tackle Trent Williams in the neon green sneaks, working out with the all-world running back. A lineman working out with a running back?

“Depending on what we’re doing, he definitely gets in there with AD, and they mix it up pretty good, to be honest with you,” their Houston-based trainer James Cooper told me this week. “Unlike some guys that keep playing, [Williams] actually wants to get faster and he wants to get stronger every year. He’s jumping. He’s not jumping the same as AD, but they’re going neck and neck on 42-inches Plyo Boxes — Adrian actually has the 46-inch boxes too.
“He’s exploding pretty high,” Cooper said of the lineman. “He’s competing. It’s fun to watch him go with the little guys. I’ve got a lot of linemen, and they don’t want to run 200s and 300-meter sprints. And Trent gets out there and he runs the 300-meter sprints, he runs the 200s, the 150s. And I push him at a pretty fast pace. He’s a pretty fast guy for his size already, pretty nimble, but it’s because he really works on it. Like I tell him, just because you’re big doesn’t mean you have to play slow. You should be able to play as quick as the lightest guy — that should be the goal.”

How is this for maturity?

This is all a page back. That's why the thread got top-posted. Maybe I shoulda started a new thread.

When we're dealing with a new story documented in a legit news source, that's not a bad idea.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:07 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
markshark84 wrote:I agree with many on here that say our scheme and RGIII helped make our guys look much better than they are.

That can be said about any/every team in the NFL tho...

true dat - this franchise has clearly shown that it's not so critical to add talented players but it is critical to add players that 'play well together'

an average to below average O line can look great if the scheme and the preparation are executed together on the field

same goes for everything - the defensive secondary is not so much about the quality of the secondary players as it is about the front 7 getting their job done

it certainly does not hurt to have RG3, Morris and Williams but this franchise has a lot of players who are looking/playing way above EVERYONE's expectations
MAINLY because they are executing the game plan TOGETHER

I'm sure the boys in the scouting dept are very busy looking at a lot of candidates for our O line, especially at RT
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:53 am

Trent Williams - T - Redskins

Redskins LT Trent Williams has been practicing with a club on his wrist, and it "remains apparent" that he's playing through "serious pain."

Williams has appeared slowed enough that beat writer Mike Jones wonders "how effective he will be if he’s unable to grab and really use that left hand." Williams was active for Washington's preseason opener, and clearly isn't considering sitting out. But it's fair to wonder how close to 100 percent he'll be when the Redskins host the Eagles in Week 1.

Source: Washington Post Aug 13 - 8:10 PM

This is the kind of thing he has to rest to the point that he can't even do bench presses. I also think it's an old injury. Not good.

He probably won't be able to do this as effectively a Jacoby did. He might be ok in the run game but if he can't lift, he will weaken.

:cry:

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:00 am

DarthMonk wrote:He might be ok in the run game but if he can't lift, he will weaken.

That really depends on how long he will be unable to lift weights. Also, he can still exercise the right arm. I'm not as worried about his strength as much as his not being able to grab.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:21 am

Deadskins wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:He might be ok in the run game but if he can't lift, he will weaken.

That really depends on how long he will be unable to lift weights. Also, he can still exercise the right arm. I'm not as worried about his strength as much as his not being able to grab.

Clearly. I think he already hasn't lifted for nearly 2 weeks. That's likely to continue if he is in "serious pain" now. These guys lift all season long. He can lose mass too. Strength stays for a little while then there is a sudden drop off when a steady lifter stops. He can "exercise" the arm but what exercises he can do and how they relate to his job ... severely limited with the wrist injury. The main exercises for a guy in his position are benches and squats. Please don't sprain an ankle, Trent (knock on wood)!

I share your feeling about grabbing ... kinda ... since that's holding.

:wink:

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:14 am

DarthMonk wrote:I share your feeling about grabbing ... kinda ... since that's holding.

Not if it's within the body (not outside the shoulders).

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:46 am

Deadskins wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:I share your feeling about grabbing ... kinda ... since that's holding.

Not if it's within the body (not outside the shoulders).

A runner may ward off opponents with his hands and arms but no other player on offense may use hands or arms to obstruct an opponent by grasping with hands, pushing, or encircling any part of his body during a block. Hands (open or closed) can be thrust forward to initially contact an opponent on or outside the opponent’s frame, but the blocker immediately must work to bring his hands on or inside the frame.

Note: Pass blocking: Hand(s) thrust forward that slip outside the body of the defender will be legal if blocker immediately worked to bring them back inside. Hand(s) or arm(s) that encircle a defender—i.e., hook an opponent—are to be considered illegal and officials are to call a foul for holding.

I see where outside the frame can be called holding even if no grabbing occurs but I don't see where grabbing is legal inside the frame. I suppose my source could be outdated. Reference??

I'll give you this ... grabbing inside the frame is seldom called but it appears to be illegal. I think I've seen it called on what first appeared to be good "pancake" block and also, when a defender tried to disengage but the O-lineman did not let go.

I recall the rule change (long ago) allowing O-linemen to use open hands to push but I can't remember ever seeing a rule allowing O-lineman to grab a defender.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:12 am

It's not strictly legal, but it doesn't get called unless the blocker actually pulls the defender down or keeps him from disengaging where the jersey is pulled away from the defender's body. As long as he keeps the defender in front of him and contact is maintaned, it's never going to draw a flag. This happens on every play.

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:21 pm

DarthMonk wrote:I'll give you this ... grabbing inside the frame is seldom called but it appears to be illegal. I think I've seen it called on what first appeared to be good "pancake" block and also, when a defender tried to disengage but the O-lineman did not let go.

Deadskins wrote:It's not strictly legal, but it doesn't get called unless the blocker actually pulls the defender down or keeps him from disengaging where the jersey is pulled away from the defender's body. As long as he keeps the defender in front of him and contact is maintaned, it's never going to draw a flag. This happens on every play.

I think we've reached some common ground though I'd dispute the "every play" assertion - especially when the Redskins are running a sweep and all linemen, O and D, are running for the edge and guys are trying to seal and throw cut blocks.

So I guess I stand by:

I hope Trent's wrist gets better quickly. I am more worried about his pass pro than I am his run blocking.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:39 pm

DarthMonk wrote:I think we've reached some common ground

I agree.
DarthMonk wrote:though I'd dispute the "every play" assertion

Look closer. I guarantee someone is grabbing on every play.

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:30 pm

Deadskins wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:I think we've reached some common ground

I agree.
DarthMonk wrote:though I'd dispute the "every play" assertion

Look closer. I guarantee someone is grabbing on every play.

I don't watch the Pro Bowl either. :D

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:10 pm

DarthMonk wrote:Trent Williams - T - Redskins

Redskins LT Trent Williams has been practicing with a club on his wrist, and it "remains apparent" that he's playing through "serious pain."

Williams has appeared slowed enough that beat writer Mike Jones wonders "how effective he will be if he’s unable to grab and really use that left hand." Williams was active for Washington's preseason opener, and clearly isn't considering sitting out. But it's fair to wonder how close to 100 percent he'll be when the Redskins host the Eagles in Week 1.

Source: Washington Post Aug 13 - 8:10 PM

This is the kind of thing he has to rest to the point that he can't even do bench presses. I also think it's an old injury. Not good.

He probably won't be able to do this as effectively a Jacoby did. He might be ok in the run game but if he can't lift, he will weaken.

:cry:

I wonder if he'll slap Richard Sherman with that thing :lol:

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football