Panthers Sign Gano

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
DarthMonk

Panthers Sign Gano

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:28 am

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- The Carolina Panthers made yet another change at kicker.

The Panthers on Tuesday waived the slumping Justin Medlock and replaced him with Graham Gano.

Carolina (2W-8L) signed Gano, a free agent, to a two-year deal after Medlock missed his last three field goals.

Gano spent 2009-11 with the Washington Redskins, playing in 36 games and converting 59 of 80 field goal attempts (73.8 percent) with a long of 59 yards.

Gano entered the NFL as an undrafted rookie free agent with Baltimore in 2009 before being released by the Ravens.

Medlock started the season 7 of 7 before having a kick blocked against Washington. He then missed field goals against Denver and Tampa Bay. Medlock's second-quarter miss from 40 yards on Sunday against the Bucs would have put the Panthers up 17-10.

Carolina lost to Tampa Bay 27-21 in overtime.

The Panthers worked out Gano and veteran Nate Kaeding, according to interim general manager Brandon Beane. Kaeding is coming off a groin injury and is eligible for free agency after the season and that may have played a role in the decision to go with Gano.

''I thought Gano was the best thing for us long term, not just for the next six weeks,'' Beane said.

As for the decision to waive Medlock, ''It's a production based business and we gave Justin an opportunity. He tried his best. He's a good person but unfortunately the results weren't what we were looking for. We decided to explore a couple of guys out there. Both Gano and Kaeding kicked great and it was a tough decision.''
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:58 am

Good luck to Gano - that boy has a great leg, he just needs to get his FG % up there

later ... what's with this kid - missing an extra point = not good at all

man oh man
Last edited by SkinsJock on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:00 am

Good for him.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:12 am

Good luck to Gano. If I'm honest, I wish he was still here. I hope he plays well and gets his payday.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:17 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:Good luck to Gano. If I'm honest, I wish he was still here. I hope he plays well and gets his payday.

Then again, on MNF he just missed an XP that would have made it a 2-score game, with 4:40 left in the 4th quarter. :shock:

I wonder how long he'll last in Panther land . . .
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:57 am

Rather than let him kick the game icer, they went for it later. Not good.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:03 pm

Deadskins wrote:Rather than let him kick the game icer, they went for it later. Not good.

Didn't see the game. I thought he missed on a kick to give a 9 point lead. No? Did you see? If so, your thoughts.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:05 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
Deadskins wrote:Rather than let him kick the game icer, they went for it later. Not good.

Didn't see the game. I thought he missed on a kick to give a 9 point lead. No? Did you see? If so, your thoughts.

Yes he missed the PAT, then later they had a chance to kick another FG, but they opted to go for it instead.

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:45 pm

Deadskins wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:

Yes he missed the PAT, then later they had a chance to kick another FG, but they opted to go for it instead.

Gotcha. What was the PAT like? Simple push? Low? Jailbreak? Combination?

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:39 pm

To tell you the truth, I wasn't really watching. I wanted the Smeagols to win (would have put me in sole posession of 1st place in Hognostications), and when they fumbled the kickoff after going down by 2, I started playing Sudoku on my wife's Kindle. I heard the annoncer say "he missed, to keep it a one score game." And I laughed in my head about the posts I would read here today.

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:57 pm

Deadskins wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:

I don't think they ever faced 4th down. They ran out the clock.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracke ... 26_CAR@PHI

Would love to see a replay. I keep hearing low kick/block but all I read says wide right. Still a laugher either way.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:47 am

DarthMonk wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:

Would love to see a replay. I keep hearing low kick/block but all I read says wide right. Still a laugher either way.

I just remember the announcers commenting on how they obviously no longer trusted Gano after the miss. I don't remember hearing the word block, either, but maybe someone deflected it to the right?

Hail to the Redskins!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:19 am

DarthMonk wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:

Correct. They didn't go for it on a 4th down, but they were more aggressive in playcalling, trying to get 1st downs (imagine that!), and the guys commenting on the game speculated that it was because they didn't trust Gano.

Return to Around the League