Incompleteness of roster remodeling explains 3-6 record

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Incompleteness of roster remodeling explains 3-6 record

Postby 1niksder » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:51 pm

Redskins have some pieces that fit, some that don’t

Mike Shanahan told it to everyone who would listen after he became the Washington Redskins‘ coach in January 2010. Returning the franchise to respectability would not happen overnight, he said. Those words have appeared in every local newspaper and on every local airwave many times since.
And while Shanahan avoided using the word “rebuilding,” the obvious age and lack of talent on the Redskins roster crystallized the magnitude of Shanahan’s task. It required more than just some fresh paint and pretty pictures to hang on the wall. No, Shanahan needed a bulldozer and sledgehammer for a full-scale demolition and remodeling.
Fast-forward 34 months, though, and the project remains far from complete. The Redskins reached their bye this week with a record of 3-6, the same mark as this point last season. Shanahan used “overnight” as a figure of speech, but with a 14-27 record as Redskins coach and another December of irrelevance ahead, it’s fair to wonder when the sun is supposed to come up.
“We started over again — offense, defense,” Shanahan said. “We’ve tried to do it through the draft and free agency, get a lot younger, get the right players, and I see some tremendous strides. Hopefully, it’s not only me. Hopefully, it’s Dan, as well.”

Shanahan, of course, referred to Redskins owner Daniel Snyder. It was an unusual occurrence Monday, but these are dire times. Shanahan’s vision for this season has not become reality, and, as the one who has assembled the roster, any scrutiny ascends the organizational hierarchy to Shanahan’s perch.

He drafted Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Robert Griffin III in April, trading three first round draft picks and a second-rounder to do so. He expected to add Griffin to an offense retooled in the offseason with young playmakers and a defense he believed was capable of finishing among the top five in the NFL a year after he overhauled it.
A mix of injuries and underachievement on defense, though, has outweighed — at least in the standings — Griffin’s promising rookie season. Instead of a strong defense helping a struggling rookie quarterback, the reverse has been true. The Redskins‘ offense ranks fifth in the NFL in yards per play, while the defense ranks 29th.
Shanahan attributes the defensive breakdowns to injuries.
“It’s not what we were a year ago,” he said. “But these guys are gaining some experience. I think we’ve got a chance to get a couple guys back, and some of the other guys that have been playing, I think are getting better. So it gives you a chance.”
The Redskins lost two-time Pro Bowl outside linebacker Brian Orakpo (torn pectoral muscle) and starting left defensive end Adam Carriker (torn quadriceps tendon) for the season in Week 2. First-string strong safety Brandon Meriweather, who signed as a free agent in March, has not played because he sprained his left knee in the second preseason game and then reinjured it during a freak pregame collision in Week 4.
Amid the injuries, other front-line defensive players, ones Shanahan acquired, are not performing at the level they did in 2011.
Outside linebacker Ryan Kerrigan has only one sack in the past five games, and that was of a Pittsburgh Steelers receiver attempting to throw on a trick play.

Click link for the rest
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:47 pm

How young are we?

How many starters (or guys who project to play a LOT) are 27 or younger?

I count about 22:

Forbath
Garcon
Gettis
Griffin III
Hankerson
Jenkins
Kerrigan
LeRibeus
Lichtensteiger
Morgan
Morris
Paul
Paulsen
Polumbus
Riley
Robinsin, A
Robinson, K
Royster
Williams, K
Williams, T
Wison, J
Young

I may have missed 1 or 2 or included 1 or 2 I shouldn't have but this is more than I thought. I think what these guys do in the next season and a half will tell the tale. If most of them pan out, Shanny will have succeeded. If half of them don't we are likely to wallow.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:50 pm

there's no doubt that anyone with a plan can be successful in the NFL

Mike can do it either as the 'manager' or as HC ....... given time

HOWEVER

this is the NFL and you are not allowed a lot of time to make it ...

with RG3 - your 'credibility' goes way up

going to be an interesting few weeks here :lol:
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:47 am

DarthMonk wrote:How young are we?

How many starters (or guys who project to play a LOT) are 27 or younger?

I count about 22:

Forbath
Garcon
Gettis
Griffin III
Hankerson
Jenkins
Kerrigan
LeRibeus
Lichtensteiger
Morgan
Morris
Paul
Paulsen
Polumbus
Riley
Robinsin, A
Robinson, K
Royster
Williams, K
Williams, T
Wison, J
Young

I may have missed 1 or 2 or included 1 or 2 I shouldn't have but this is more than I thought. I think what these guys do in the next season and a half will tell the tale. If most of them pan out, Shanny will have succeeded. If half of them don't we are likely to wallow.

DarthMonk

If you're talking about the next season and a half than you can add...

Orakpo, Davis, Rob Jackson, Gomes, Bernstine, Jordan, Compton, Minnifield, Darius Hanks, Chris Baker, and Sundberg.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:10 am

Sorry I don't agree this team and 97% of the players that Shanahan has brought in, you know "his guys" lack heart, determination. Example the Colts look at them last year versus this year. The Colts have two things we don't. 1 a better coaching staff even with their HC out!! and 2 players with heart, dedication and a strong desire to succeed. Washington with Snyder is a club, you come here make millions swear your going to fight your guts out, get better and every year come in last in the division. The excuses pretty much are the same, not enough skill players, injuries and now finally this Cap hell..............

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:19 am

DaSkinz Baby wrote:Example the Colts look at them last year versus this year.

Please! The Colts situation has already been discussed. Last year was an aberration because they didn't have Manning. Other than last season, their worst record over the last five seasons was 10-6. This is hardly a rebuilding team. Add to that, they play in the AFC South (12 games against AFC opponents), the emotional lift from playing for a coach sidelined with Leukemia, our injuries to key players on defense, and the Mara cap hit, and the comparison is ludicrous.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:30 am

Deadskins wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:Example the Colts look at them last year versus this year.

Please! The Colts situation has already been discussed. Last year was an aberration because they didn't have Manning. Other than last season, their worst record over the last five seasons was 10-6. This is hardly a rebuilding team. Add to that, they play in the AFC South (12 games against AFC opponents), the emotional lift from playing for a coach sidelined with Leukemia, our injuries to key players on defense, and the Mara cap hit, and the comparison is ludicrous.

Dude how many players over their last 5 seasons are still there with Indy? Pretty much the only person left of any real value is Reggie Wayne. All others GONE!! The only thing ludicrous is the consistent excuses fans allow this organization to get away with. The Giants last year had a COMPLETELY DESTROYED SECONDARY and many others hurt 80% of the season. But they won the Super Bowl. You know why? Because they don't deal with excuses......We should take that as a lesson if nothing else.......

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:31 am

Sorry DaSkinz - you seem to be missing the point that some here are making - the roster make-up still needs work from the mess that was created by Snyder

I'd agree that there are 'excuses' for the 3-6 record but there are also valid reasons

your low opinion of this coaching staff is one thing but I'd disagree that our 3-6 record is mostly because of the coaches

the Colts roster was 'assembled' over time by guys (Bill Polian) that knew what they were doing

actually - adding Andrew Luck caused some players like Wayne to stay because they could see the possibilities

I prefer RG3 - I think we'll be more exciting

IMO there is NO WAY that the Colts coaching staff could have done near as well as these guys have done and i'm not a fan of the Shanahans and Haslett
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:35 am

SkinsJock wrote:Sorry DaSkinz - you seem to be missing the point that some here are making - the roster make-up still needs work from the mess that was created by Snyder

I'd agree that there are 'excuses' for the 3-6 record but there are also valid reasons

your low opinion of this coaching staff is one thing but I'd disagree that our 3-6 record is mostly because of the coaches

the Colts roster was 'assembled' over time by guys (Bill Polian) that knew what they were doing

actually - adding Andrew Luck caused some players like Wayne to stay because they could see the possibilities

I prefer RG3 - I think we'll be more exciting

IMO there is NO WAY that the Colts coaching staff could have done near as well as these guys have done and i'm not a fan of the Shanahans and Haslett

So the exit polls here show that this roster was so bad that it is taking Shanahan 4 years to assemble a good team? Nevermind the retarded thinking of the coaches to bring in safeties that no other team wanted, let core Redskins go (Rogers) where he leaves to have a pro bowl season to continue with players such as Josh Wilson, MeAngelo Hall?? Sorry this IMHO makes the coaching staff look even more stupid. No wonder we are having RG3 go out on pass patterns to get destroyed.......... :shock:

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:55 am

DaSkinz Baby wrote:The Giants last year had a COMPLETELY DESTROYED SECONDARY and many others hurt 80% of the season.

But they still had a pass rush, which masks deficiencies at the DB positions. Also, what was their record when those injured players were gone? They got healthy just in time to win three of their final four games (after a four game skid), taking them to a whopping 9-7 record. :roll:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:14 am

DaSkinz Baby wrote:Sorry I don't agree this team and 97% of the players that Shanahan has brought in, you know "his guys" lack heart, determination. Example the Colts look at them last year versus this year. The Colts have two things we don't. 1 a better coaching staff even with their HC out!! and 2 players with heart, dedication and a strong desire to succeed. Washington with Snyder is a club, you come here make millions swear your going to fight your guts out, get better and every year come in last in the division. The excuses pretty much are the same, not enough skill players, injuries and now finally this Cap hell..............

Seriously? You are talking about the Colts again? Come on. Get over it. Why don't you bring up the STL 1999 team too?

The Colts have improved, but their schedule is CRAZY :shock: easy. They have played the Jets, Browns, TENN, Jacksonville, and Miami in their last 5 games. Those teams have a combined record of 12-30!!!!!! Meanwhile, in our past 5 games we have played 4 teams with winning records and for a combined opponent win total of 26-16.

Your infatuation needs to end. Get over it. You aren't comparing apples to apples. I am not a homer to say the least. I am confident 100% of the people on this board would agree. That said, if we had the Colts schedule, we would have a similar record.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:55 am

BOM!
Roasted.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:20 am

Seriously this dude's Colts argument has been shot down by pretty much everyone on this board. Completely weak and ignorant.

The Colts had one of the best franchise QBs ever on their roster for 14 years. During that time while we were trading away our draft picks for Brad Johnson and Donovan McNabb, spending first rounders on Jason Campbell and Patrick Ramsey, the Colts had the luxury of keeping their picks and spending high picks on quality players and depth.

I'm sure there were some other sub .500 teams in the league last year. Why don't you break down comparisons for us of the Redskins vs. say the Jaguars? Bills? Chiefs? Browns? Maybe a couple other teams that didn't have Peyton Manning on their roster for the past 14 years.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:55 am

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:BOM!
Roasted.

I've always wondered, ckRGiii: when you write that out, in your head do you pronounce it "Bohm" or "Boom"? :)
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:09 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:BOM!
Roasted.

I've always wondered, ckRGiii: when you write that out, in your head do you pronounce it "Bohm" or "Boom"? :)

:lol:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football