Redskins - Giants postgame thread

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
FanFromAnnapolis

Redskins - Giants postgame thread

Postby Irn-Bru » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:46 pm

In my opinion, this was a hard fought game and a good effort on the the part of the Skins. Unfortunately, RGIII can't do it all himself, though he nearly did.

Frustrating to lose, but we played well. I'm already looking forward to game two at home, and I also suspect we are going to be giving our other NFC East opponents a tough fight.

Well done, RGIII. Way to go, Morris. Loved your work today, o-line. Nice work by our d-line and 'backers.

Someone please get our secondary some help. :lol:
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby Mississippi Hog » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:44 pm

Based on how exciting RG 3 is to watch it, I am predicting that we will get hey bunch of prime time games next year. The turnovers killed us today. RG 3 is great, but he has to get better at holding on to the ball. He get some of them back but he has fumbled several times this year.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:45 pm

It's hard to beat a division rival, on the road, when the refs won't call it fair right from the opening kickoff. That said, we should have. This one gnaws at me.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:52 pm

Deadskins wrote:It's hard to beat a division rival, on the road, when the refs won't call it fair right from the opening kickoff. That said, we should have. This one gnaws at me.
That call cost us one of our Safeties. We will never hear of it, but, hopefully, the league will address that horrendous call with the Hockule crew. One of the reasons for advancing the ball on kickoffs was to reduce the risk of injuries... the officials should not be artificially increasing that risk with phantom penalties.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:53 pm

HAIL! Magazine‏@HAIL_Magazine

The Redskins are now averaging 177.7 rushing yards per game, the highest average in the NFL.

This needs to translate into more wins.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:55 pm

I am sure that it has been discussed earlier during the game portion of this thread, but some please explain to me how the option pitch to Niles Paul was supposed to do anything more than lose one yard?

First of all, Griffin pitched before he was supposed to. I get that because they don't want him getting hit, but the whole idea of the option pitch is to be forced to get rid of the ball the last second. By ptiching early, all the pursuit is still involved in the play and no one is eliminated.

The second problem with the play is - a pitch to Niles Paul. Perhaps agains a team with a lumbering D end it might catch them by surprise, but not with D ends like JPP and Osi. That play was a complete waste and a potential for disaster.

Third, it came after the turnover and momentum on our side to drive and tie the game. It seemed as if Shanny and Co. decided to settle for the FG before the play was called.

Was this an example of Kyle being too cute for his own good in designing plays.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:58 pm

Red_One43 wrote:I am sure that it has been discussed earlier during the game portion of this thread, but some please explain to me how the option pitch to Niles Paul was supposed to do anything more than lose one yard?

First of all, Griffin pitched before he was supposed to. I get that because they don't want him getting hit, but the whole idea of the option pitch is to be forced to get rid of the ball the last second. By ptiching early, all the pursuit is still involved in the play and no one is eliminated.

The second problem with the play is - a pitch to Niles Paul. Perhaps agains a team with a lumbering D end it might catch them by surprise, but not with D ends like JPP and Osi. That play was a complete waste and a potential for disaster.

Third, it came after the turnover and momentum on our side to drive and tie the game. It seemed as if Shanny and Co. decided to settle for the FG before the play was called.

Agreed on all counts. A true option play like that just doesn't have a place in the NFL. Defenses are too fast, so even when you run it as it should be run its chances are not good. Add to this the fact that RGIII is rightfully playing it gingerly, and it's a recipe for disaster.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Postby skinsfan#33 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:32 am

Irn-Bru wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:I am sure that it has been discussed earlier during the game portion of this thread, but some please explain to me how the option pitch to Niles Paul was supposed to do anything more than lose one yard?

Agreed on all counts. A true option play like that just doesn't have a place in the NFL. Defenses are too fast, so even when you run it as it should be run its chances are not good. Add to this the fact that RGIII is rightfully playing it gingerly, and it's a recipe for disaster.

I agree. I don't think w have run that play yet this season where it worked. By worked, I mean gained any yards. Maybe than ran it once and it gained a yard or two, but that is about it. It should be removed from their play book!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Postby skinsfan#33 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:32 am

Irn-Bru wrote:

I agree. I don't think w have run that play yet this season where it worked. By worked, I mean gained any yards. Maybe than ran it once and it gained a yard or two, but that is about it. It should be removed from their play book!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:57 am

Agreed. I saw that option play and gasped. No way it can work in the NFL.

Still, the Redskins need DBs...fast or skilled or both.

piggie

Postby oj » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:47 am

The refs made a difference in this game, the same ref that didn't call a helmut being ripped off 'jowls' head made the 'legwhip' call that changed the game.
The refs made some one-sided calls yesterday but the Skins are the ones that lost the game, so i am not all that upset at the refs.
Both Morris and Moss inexplicably put the ball on the ground, i can't remember the last time Moss fumbled and this is the first time i have seen Morris fumble. We could still have won the game with 4 turnovers, unthinkable but we could have.
What is unthinkable and cost us the game is letting Cruse get past the coverage - three guys chased him down the field and i swear i could hear him laughing the entire way. Pitiful.
Mannings' jersey looked pristine at the end of the day and if not for an electrical problem with his helmut he had a 'business as usual' afternoon without any significant distractions. We needed to change that, if we had actually pressured him that pass to Cruse would never have been made. He had too much time in the pocket.
I will say one thing, the Giants are scared of RG3 and the Skins. They know just how lucky they were.
Molon Labe

Hog

Postby funsho2 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:51 am

Mississippi Hog wrote:Based on how exciting RG 3 is to watch it, I am predicting that we will get hey bunch of prime time games next year. The turnovers killed us today. RG 3 is great, but he has to get better at holding on to the ball. He get some of them back but he has fumbled several times this year.

wow 2 fumbles is a alot?

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:08 am

funsho2 wrote:
Mississippi Hog wrote:Based on how exciting RG 3 is to watch it, I am predicting that we will get hey bunch of prime time games next year. The turnovers killed us today. RG 3 is great, but he has to get better at holding on to the ball. He get some of them back but he has fumbled several times this year.

wow 2 fumbles is a alot?

He's fumbled 7 times, only lost 2.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby funsho2 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:09 am

Deadskins wrote:
funsho2 wrote:

wow 2 fumbles is a alot?

Well he runs alot too....due to that he is bound to fumble.....you exchange big plays for fumbles....7td 3int....good stats

Hog

Postby funsho2 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:09 am

Deadskins wrote:
funsho2 wrote:

wow 2 fumbles is a alot?

Well he runs alot too....due to that he is bound to fumble.....you exchange big plays for fumbles....7td 3int....good stats

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football