Trial of accused Sean Taylor slayer postponed indefinitely

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:05 am

Trial of accused Sean Taylor slayer postponed indefinitely

MIAMI -- The trial of the man accused of shooting Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor more than four years ago was postponed indefinitely Thursday morning when Miami-Dade Circuit Court Judge Dennis J. Murphy scheduled another hearing for July 12.

The trial had been scheduled to begin Monday. Thursday’s decision was the sixth postponement of the trial.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:30 am

Justice seems very strange in the USA - what could possibly have changed to justify yet another postponement? Certainly, I doubt that Sean's family feel any closer to justice today than they did 4 years ago.

Tragic to think that Sean would have been very much in his prime right now. No telling what he could have achieved, but I know our team and defence would have been a greater force with him back there. Imagine him playing behind the front seven that we are on the verge of putting together.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog

Postby 44diesel » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:15 am

UK Skins Fan wrote:Justice seems very strange in the USA - what could possibly have changed to justify yet another postponement? Certainly, I doubt that Sean's family feel any closer to justice today than they did 4 years ago.

Tragic to think that Sean would have been very much in his prime right now. No telling what he could have achieved, but I know our team and defence would have been a greater force with him back there. Imagine him playing behind the front seven that we are on the verge of putting together.

It would be a defense to truly be feared. Easily the best we've had since the '91 season. :cry:

Not that I doubt our defense is going to be great this season (although I'll be even more confident in that when I hear that we've resigned Fletcher) but the thought of Sean playing centerfield with our front seven rotation gives me (hypothetical) goosebumps.

Can't believe it's been four years... I hope that one day soon justice will finally bless Sean's family.

RIP #21
"Givin'em the Business!"

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:29 am

1niksder wrote:Trial of accused Sean Taylor slayer postponed indefinitely

MIAMI -- The trial of the man accused of shooting Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor more than four years ago was postponed indefinitely Thursday morning when Miami-Dade Circuit Court Judge Dennis J. Murphy scheduled another hearing for July 12.

The trial had been scheduled to begin Monday. Thursday’s decision was the sixth postponement of the trial.

What a fecking joke!

:explode:

We'll have won another Superbowl before anyone gets put away for Sean's murder...
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:07 pm

Perhaps justice would be better served by sending the defendants to the chair now, and then trying them later? Not that I'm pre-judging anything here, of course.

Yes, I am joking. And yes, in poor taste.

I just find it baffling that the trial can be continually postponed. Now it seems that a new defence lawyer has asked for a postponement in order to prepare as he's only been on the case for a month. How many times could the defendants use that one?!

I'm a cynical soul, and my suspicion is that the defence is dragging this out for as long as possible, and will then claim that a fair trial is impossible due to years of adverse coverage of their clients.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:21 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:Perhaps justice would be better served by sending the defendants to the chair now, and then trying them later? Not that I'm pre-judging anything here, of course.

They were sentenced to death...by old age. They are just carrying it out...
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:08 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:Justice seems very strange in the USA - what could possibly have changed to justify yet another postponement? Certainly, I doubt that Sean's family feel any closer to justice today than they did 4 years ago.

It's not all of the USA, just Florida. They are notoriously slow and often wrong. Sean Taylor, Casey Anthony, Trayvon Martin, the 2000 Election. Even some of the posters here who are from FLA are slow and just plain wrong. It's just something we accept.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:10 pm

The Hogster wrote:It's not all of the USA, just Florida. They are notoriously slow and often wrong. Sean Taylor, Casey Anthony, Trayvon Martin, the 2000 Election.

:!: :!: :!:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Hog

Postby 44diesel » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:32 pm

The defender requested the trial begin in October. However, the prosecutor in the case wasn’t able to immediately agree because of questions surrounding his own schedule.

Prosecutor Reid Rubin said he might be able to set a date when his schedule becomes more clear in the summer.

The judge scheduled a hearing for July 12 at which point a new trial date will be discussed.

Thursday’s postponement marks the sixth of the trial.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/04/ ... or-killer/
"Givin'em the Business!"

Hog

Postby HarleyHog » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:12 pm

The Hogster wrote:[quote= Even some of the posters here who are from FLA are slow and just plain wrong. It's just something we accept.

Actually, I'm from California
Everybody funny, now you funny too ...

"The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have." -Vince Lombardi

(BTW . . . we have RGIII now)

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:26 am

@nathanfenno
Trial of four men in Sean Taylor's killing postponed yet again, from April 15 to Aug. 12. All remain jailed. #Redskins #NFL

And again................

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:22 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:Justice seems very strange in the USA -

It is very inconsistent... The guilty often walk... and corrupt DA's can sometimes convict the innocent... but... at least criminal trial attorneys can get rich... If criminal law weren't available for them, they'd be making a living con-ing retired widows out of their life savings.

OTOH... at least, in the jurisdiction of many states and the Federal government, we can remove those who deserve it from existence.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby Hooligan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:51 pm

It's not the justice system, it's the legal system.
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:02 am

UK Skins Fan wrote:@nathanfenno
Trial of four men in Sean Taylor's killing postponed yet again, from April 15 to Aug. 12. All remain jailed. #Redskins #NFL

And again................

Trials get postponed ALL THE TIME. This is not new or unique. Now 4 years ---- that is a L-O-N-G time, even for a murder trial.

That said, as long as the defendant is being held, the courts will postpone it as many times as the lawyers want. And the fact he has been in jail for 4 years awaiting trial just shows this is an open-close case.

In "high profile" cases, attorneys, judges, and the like don't want to look bad. They generally want things to be perfect. The defense knows that the longer time passes, the less press and significance the trial will get (which they want). They also know the defendant will be found guilty and subject to mandatory (well basically mandatory) sentencing guidelines ---- so the defendant will be incarcerated for a minimum of 8 years, but could be as much as 25 depending on how trial and judge goes. So, it is in the best interests of the defendant to prolong the case as much as possible for as long as 8 years. Continuances are fairly easy to get and as long as the prosecutor agrees, they will 100% of the time be granted.

We have to remember the justice system was designed with the defendants in mind and not to put people in jail ---- for better or worse. The courts believe putting an innocent person in jail is much worse than a guilty one going free. Because of this, courts/judges generally grant continuances and other administrative requests by defendants.

Since the defendant(s) are all currently in jail, whats the big deal. They will NOT be put to death for the murder of ST, so the way I see it, they are just prolonging the permanence of the punishment they are currently serving.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:26 am

Can't we just kill them and get it over with? Isn't it cheaper?

Good grief
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football