Saints coaches & players = BIG trouble with bounties

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
Hog

Postby 44diesel » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:33 pm

I remember back in the beginning of Joe Gibbs v2 era when their was speculation that part of Greg Williams agreement to come to Washington was the idea that he would eventually take over once Gibbs retired.
Thankfully that didn't happen. :shock:
"Givin'em the Business!"

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Wed May 02, 2012 11:37 am

Four suspended for Saints’ bounty program, Vilma for all of 2012

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has lowered the hammer on four New Orleans Saints players who were involved in the team’s bounty scandal, with Jonathan Vilma leading the way and getting one of the most significant suspensions in NFL history.

Vilma has been banished for all of 2012, effective immediately and through the Super Bowl, for his role in the bounty scandal. Vilma reportedly put $10,000 cash on the table in the team’s meeting room and said the cash would go to anyone who could knock Brett Favre out of the NFC Championship Game in January of 2010.

Will Smith was suspended four games. The NFL says he worked with former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams in setting up the bounty program

Anthony Hargrove got half a season and is now with the Packers, while Scott Fujita will miss the first three games for the Browns.

The Saints planned for the lost of Vilma by bringing in linebackers during free agency, but I don't think they planned for the lost of Smith on the D-line.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Joe's#1Fan

Postby gibbsfan » Wed May 02, 2012 11:40 am

do the crime you do the time

brought to you by roger goodell
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

Another Year Full Of Redskins Drama
"As The World Turns"

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed May 02, 2012 11:47 am

gibbsfan wrote:do the crime you do the time

'n sometimes, even if there was no crime... eg Redskins/Cowboys...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Joe's#1Fan

Postby gibbsfan » Wed May 02, 2012 11:57 am

Countertrey wrote:
gibbsfan wrote:do the crime you do the time

'n sometimes, even if there was no crime... eg Redskins/Cowboys...

thats true yeah so this salary cap deal??????
thats true CT
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

"As The World Turns"

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Wed May 02, 2012 12:00 pm

Vilma, Hargrove, Smith, and Fujita all planning to appeal.

Scott Fujita's 3-game suspension will cost him about $645K, based on $3.65m 2012 salary.

Will Smith Will Smith will lose only $206K, during his 4-game suspension would've lost $1.75M due to suspension. On March 1, he restructured his contract, converted 7M into bonus and left salary of 825k to "save Saints cap space".

Some are paying more than others :shock:
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Postby 1niksder » Wed May 02, 2012 12:57 pm

Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma is suspended for the entire 2012 season, and his season-long suspension actually begins right now: He’s banished from the team’s facilities effective immediately. But he didn’t find out about that from the NFL. He found out on TV.

That’s the word from Saints quarterback Chase Daniel, who wrote on Twitter that he was there with Vilma when the word came down, and Vilma learned at the same time as millions of NFL fans.

Now that was just wrong :roll:
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed May 02, 2012 1:08 pm

As a player & agent advocate, I have no real problem with the length of the suspensions. I have more of a problem with the appeals process.

In my view, there should be an oversight committee that reviews these matters and hands out the initial punishment. Say, a 3-5 person panel including league officials, former players, arbitrators etc that does this and only this.

Then, if the player doesn't like the punishment, he could appeal to Goodell who would have the power to uphold, or modify it.

That would give Goodell ultimate authority (which seems to be something that he has to have) but it would also ensure that there is some level of fairness and objectivity in the initial punishment and the process overall.

This is an area where the PA dropped the ball in this CBA. The players were so focused on the revenue, that they gave in on several of these other issues that actually impact players even more.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Postby 1niksder » Wed May 02, 2012 1:15 pm

The Hogster wrote:As a player & agent advocate, I have no real problem with the length of the suspensions. I have more of a problem with the appeals process.

In my view, there should be an oversight committee that reviews these matters and hands out the initial punishment. Say, a 3-5 person panel including league officials, former players, arbitrators etc that does this and only this.

Then, if the player doesn't like the punishment, he could appeal to Goodell who would have the power to uphold, or modify it.

That would give Goodell ultimate authority (which seems to be something that he has to have) but it would also ensure that there is some level of fairness and objectivity in the initial punishment and the process overall.

This is an area where the PA dropped the ball in this CBA. The players were so focused on the revenue, that they gave in on several of these other issues that actually impact players even more.

First bounty battle could relate to who handles the appeals
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Joe's#1Fan

Postby gibbsfan » Wed May 02, 2012 1:36 pm

The Hogster wrote:As a player & agent advocate, I have no real problem with the length of the suspensions. I have more of a problem with the appeals process.

+1 I couldn,t have agreed with you more they need people for just this and this alone..

the players are the ones to be blamed ..it got overlooked ..
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

"As The World Turns"

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu May 03, 2012 5:13 pm

just a reminder

the NFL players, as part of the CBA, agreed to EVERYTHING regarding the way that Goodell 'managed' things in the current agreement

the players did NOT want a committee to review their behaviour
IF THEY HAD, it would have been a part of the CBA

there are only a few NFL players that get arrested or get in trouble
the rest of the players (those that do not get in trouble) could care a less about those idiots

the majority of the NFL players were ONLY interested in the money coming to them

they did not try and change ANYTHING to do with the way that the NFL (AND Goodell) manage things

that being said - the union is going to try and fight this ... but :roll:
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu May 03, 2012 6:56 pm

SkinsJock wrote:just a reminder

the NFL players, as part of the CBA, agreed to EVERYTHING regarding the way that Goodell 'managed' things in the current agreement

the players did NOT want a committee to review their behaviour
IF THEY HAD, it would have been a part of the CBA

there are only a few NFL players that get arrested or get in trouble
the rest of the players (those that do not get in trouble) could care a less about those idiots

the majority of the NFL players were ONLY interested in the money coming to them

they did not try and change ANYTHING to do with the way that the NFL (AND Goodell) manage things

that being said - the union is going to try and fight this ... but :roll:

Obviously the players didn't really have a say, as it was their elected representatives who cut the deal. Sure, they voted on it, but I doubt many, if any, of them actually read the CBA, much less understood its ramifications. And, as it's been made abundantly clear, the current union leadership is in the NFL's back pocket.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu May 03, 2012 9:36 pm

^^ - I hear you - I'm only saying the players cannot have EVERYTHING their way

the CBA was 'voted' on by the players - 'they' had the right to make sure certain things were included ...

the players are 'responsible' for accepting the good with the bad parts of the agreement

same with the owners :roll:

now we're not dealing with society's 'laws' here - this is the NFL after all ...

can you imagine having people putting a bounty on a person or group of people?

those people would be doing some serious time in a pen ...

all these guys are getting is a suspension

it's actually a little surprising that there seems to be a number of players that don't think that there's all that much wrong with Vilma actually having money in his hand and offering it to players as a reward for taking out another player :shock:
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri May 04, 2012 8:32 am

and now the fight is on :lol:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike- ... ounty-case

as the man indicates - this could get VERY interesting

Godahell has his hands full with the legal guys on this

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri May 04, 2012 11:35 am

Return to Around the League