Skins sign C/G Chester from Ravens

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
spudstr04

Skins sign C/G Chester from Ravens

Postby spudstr04 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:19 pm

Redskins agreed to terms on a five-year, $20 million contract with G/C Chris Chester.

As they always do, the Redskins are overpaying for mediocre talent. Chester has struggled and eventually been benched anytime the Ravens tried to give him a long-term starting role. But the 'Skins are in desperate need of warm bodies on the offensive line and Chester fits the bill. He has connections to Redskins offensive line coach Chris Foerster, who spent three years with the Ravens between 2005-07.

http://www.rotoworld.com

Don't know much about him, but hopefully he's an upgrade over Rabach. At least they are starting to spend on the OL.
#21 = Forever in our hearts

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Re: Skins sign C/G Chester from Ravens

Postby 1niksder » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:21 pm

spudstr04 wrote:
Redskins agreed to terms on a five-year, $20 million contract with G/C Chris Chester.

As they always do, the Redskins are overpaying for mediocre talent. Chester has struggled and eventually been benched anytime the Ravens tried to give him a long-term starting role. But the 'Skins are in desperate need of warm bodies on the offensive line and Chester fits the bill. He has connections to Redskins offensive line coach Chris Foerster, who spent three years with the Ravens between 2005-07.

http://www.rotoworld.com

Don't know much about him, but hopefully he's an upgrade over Rabach. At least they are starting to spend on the OL.

Started 13 games at RG in 2010
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:22 pm

As they always do, the Redskins are overpaying for mediocre talent.

Ouch, nice shot, Rotoworld...

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:23 pm

PulpExposure wrote:

I get the fun of saying it... but they never consider guaranteed vs incentives/accelerators.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

spudstr04

Postby spudstr04 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:24 pm

Hopefully Foerster can coach him up.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:25 pm

PulpExposure wrote:

dag Pulp, everyone likes taking shots at us huh bro?
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:26 pm

spudstr04 wrote:Hopefully Foerster can coach him up.

Use to play for Foerster
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

spudstr04

Postby spudstr04 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:27 pm

1niksder wrote:

Use to play for Foerster

He has connections to Redskins offensive line coach Chris Foerster, who spent three years with the Ravens between 2005-07.

Yes and he will play for him again now.

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:32 pm

Another Oklahoma guy. If we keep Brown, that makes 3 Oklahoma starters on the line.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:38 pm

Never heard of this guy. But this quick hit analysis from ESPN, doesn't jive with roto world or their sh*t box shot at us:

Chris Chester | G Complete player profile
Full Name: Christopher Sean Chester
Born: January 12, 1983
Tustin, CA
Height: 6-3
Weight: 315 lbs. Age: 28
Pos: G
Experience: 6 years
College: Oklahoma
Drafted: Year: 2006 Round: 2 Pick: 56, Ravens
Insider Analysis
Grade 73
Expert's Take Chester is a versatile player who has had been an important part of the Ravens' offense as an interior lineman. He has average height with good strength and quickness for the center or guard positions. He is an above-average athlete but is quick to recover and shows excellent lateral agility. Chester is a natural knee bender and has improved his power since entering the league. He has active hands and understands angles to maintain leverage in pass protection as well as an interior run blocker.

FYI: this is what the Grades mean (For reference rated Yanda as an 83 and Dahl a 79 and blalock (both of them Falcons) a 77):
90-100: Elite Player
Player demonstrates rare abilities and can create mismatches that have an obvious impact on the game. ... Premier NFL player who has all the skills to consistently play at a championship level. ... Rates as one of the top players at his position in the league.
80-89: Outstanding Player
Player has abilities to create mismatches versus most opponents in the NFL. ... A feature player who has an impact on the outcome of the game. ... Cannot be shut down by a single player and plays on a consistent level week in and week out.
70-79: Good Starter
Solid starter who is close to being an outstanding player. ... Has few weaknesses and usually will win his individual matchup but does not dominate in every game, especially when matched up against the top players in the league.
60-69: Average Starter
A valuable roster player but not a dominant player against the better players he faces on a weekly basis. ... Gives great effort and teams are glad to have him, but he may or may not go to the next level
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:38 pm

From the Baltimore Sun...

PROS: Although Chester is often considered a backup, he has started at least 11 games the past three seasons. In 2008, he started 11 games at right guard after Marshal Yanda sustained a season-ending knee injury. In 2009, Chester started the first nine games while Yanda recovered and started four more games at tight end. Last season, he was pressed into the starting role at right guard after Jared Gaither was lost for the season. With Matt Birk entering his contract year, Chester might be ready to move into the center spot.

CONS: Chester is athletic and has quick feet but he struggles against explosive linemen. It is believed that the team still envisions Chester in more of a backup role because he isn't strong enough at the point of attack. He was drafted to be a center, but the Ravens signed Matt Birk in 2009 instead of giving the job to Chester. So, it's tough to measure the team's confidence in him.

OUTLOOK: Chester's status is up in the air. The Ravens should contact Chester in the first three days of free agency, but they likely will allow him to test the market. The team probably won't offer him more than a backup role (especially if Yanda moves back to guard). Chester might find a better opportunity elsewhere. If he doesn't, he could be lured back.
Suck and Luck

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:28 pm

1niksder wrote:

Use to play for Foerster

I think he's got a chance at making the offensive line better

I wonder why this addition, that could possibly help here, is seen as a bad move? :roll:

Everyone else is way over-paying players right now but we're the ones singled out - :lol:
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - unfortunately with Dan Snyder, it is what it is

Postby 1niksder » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:38 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
1niksder wrote:

Use to play for Foerster

I wonder why this addition, that could possibly help here, is seen as a bad move? :roll:

Everyone else is way over-paying players right now but we're the ones singled out - :lol:

It's because he signed with the Redskins is my guess.

He's considered a backup yet started 14 games last year, 13 in 2009 and 11 in 2008. How many backups can you name that started 38 out of 48 games over 3 years? His contract averages $4M a year.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:45 pm

1niksder wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:
1niksder wrote:

Use to play for Foerster

He's considered a backup yet started 14 games last year, 13 in 2009 and 11 in 2008. How many backups can you name that started 38 out of 48 games over 3 years? His contract averages $4M a year.

Read my link above. He started in each of those three seasons because of injuries to starters. The Ravens weren't interested in bringing him back except as a backup player.
Suck and Luck

Postby 1niksder » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:14 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:
1niksder wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:
1niksder wrote:

Use to play for Foerster

Read my link above. He started in each of those three seasons because of injuries to starters. The Ravens weren't interested in bringing him back except as a backup player.

If you miss 38 of 48 games you aren't a starter you're a player that should be on IR :shock:

So over the course of three years they couldn't go out and find a starting quality lineman? After starting 11 games in 2008, the Baltimore FO couldn't find a better player to bring in knowing Yanda wasn't going to be ready for the 2009 season? If it was the Redskins old regime I could see that ,but we're talking about the Ravens (one of the best in the NFL). In fact the number of games that he started each year increased every year. If you start all but 10 games over a 3 year period you are not a back up. He wasn't the starter the first 5 games of the 08-09 season but STARTED every game after that until the end of November of the 09-10 season, he didn't start two game and then returned to his STARTING role with six games remaining and STARTED the remainder of the season, he went into the 2010 season as the STARTER. In 2010 he STARTED all but two game. Backups might start one or two games a year, but not 38 out 0f 48. The link can say whatever. If he's out there with the STARTING unit 90% of the time he's a STARTER
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football