Caps Win Winter Classic

Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and D.C. United... all go here!
Hog

Postby MDSKINSFAN » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:54 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:.. but don't you think the difference is the more "defensive" mindset as opposed to the last couple years of "the greatest show on ice" where we were scoring all the time? I don't know as much as you guys so please let me know. I don't think Bruce's job will be in jeopardy though, Ted seems to want to let it play out so he can evaluate if its the coaching or the players skill levels.. maybe?

I think the shift to defensive minded hockey is definitely playing a part in the lack of offense but I don't think it is an excuse for having an offense that can't do anything with the puck when they gain possession. I wouldn't mind scoring less if our defense was much better than last year but it still is bad. We get out shot on a consistent basis this year. At least last year if we lost we were firing 30+ shots at the net giving ourselves a chance to win but this year its not like that. It seems like the defense plays not to lose, like they are protecting a lead all the time.

We said this all season about the Skins referring to Haslett and I think it applies to what Bodreau is doing now: Don't try to fit square pegs into round holes. If you have offensive minded players don't force them to play out of character. Bring in defensive minded players if you want to play that style. Doesn't it make more sense to play to your strengths than your weakness? When we play to our strengths like we are capable of doing its tough to stop us. And honestly I think a lot of the defensive problems last year were mental mistakes not physical mistakes or flaws in the scheme. Those mistakes especially from Green will be corrected in time. Last year there were guys like Schultz who played great defensive hockey because thats their style. Green was famous for making stupid decisions even when he was in good position to break up a play. I'd be all for shifting to a defensive minded team if we had the coach and players to be one. We have an offensive minded coach with a whole bunch of offensive minded players.

Also, what killed us in the playoffs was a lack of physical presence in front of the net. They would just stand there and tap in the puck. I don't think we have found that guy unless it is Hannan who we gave up a great forward to get.

Here is what I would do:

From watching Ovi and Backstrom, lately it seems that they just go out there try too hard to make plays and skate around waiting for the shift to end. I would split them up, at least temporarily. I would put Ovi on a line with Chimera and maybe Johansen (#90), Perraleaut, or Laich at center. Those guys push the puck and would force Ovi to skate with them and put him into position to make plays. Backstrom is trying too hard to make that highlight reel pass to Ovi and they aren't playing good fundamental, team hockey. And if I have one complaint about Ovi this year its that he is playing kind of lazy. I would have a 8-90/85/21-25 line and a Semin-Backstrom-Knuble line. I would like to see Bruce throw out those line combos one night.

And get these guys back to the fundamentals on the power play. Its too unorganized.
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:45 am

^5 ...my man! Now that's some good Caps insight, thank you sir!

We go up to NY 2nite for the Islanders so hopefully we'll see some positive chances during the game. Geez, then we travel to Toronto to play the leafs
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Hog

Postby MDSKINSFAN » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:55 pm

Not quite what I suggested but Bruce did put Chimera on Ovi and Backstrom's line. And what do ya know? 2 goals from that line. Maybe it helps we are playing the Islanders too...
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:19 am

Man oh man, I thought Semin would never score! Finally did it and with a hat trick, pretty cool getting the win in that fashion.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/17/AR2011021700228.html

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:24 am

Hog

Postby MDSKINSFAN » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:40 am

Great game last night. Very exciting to watch. I miss that offense, even if the d was horrible.
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:02 pm

MDSKINSFAN wrote:Great game last night. Very exciting to watch. I miss that offense, even if the d was horrible.

Right bro, that's how we've always dominated in the previous years.. offense on fire, not so much defense.

Hog

Postby MDSKINSFAN » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:16 pm

I'm ready for the playoffs. I have a good feeling this year. This is a different team. Lets finish the Rangers in 5 or less and get to the 2nd round.

I gotta give it to Bodreau. I was highly critical of him this year and his plan has really developed well going into the playoffs. Now we just have to go deep!

LETS GO CAPS!!!
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

Return to Washington Sports Teams