Title of the Thread

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
DarthMonk

Title of the Thread

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:55 pm

Brief (hopefully) introductory sentence preparing reader for gist of post. Continuation of opening paragraph intended to bring reader to brink of correctly anticipating thesis about to ensue.

Claim or thesis statement often incorporating and generally boiling down to the title of the thread.

Brief digression expressing humility while actually designed to gain sympathy and hopefully support of reader (IMHO).

Beginning of anecdotal evidence in support of thesis often including, but not requiring, additional seemingly reasonable but factually unsupported speculations designed to lend further credence to the title of the thread. Tangential speculations that add nothing to the argument but which potentially spawn quoted rebuttals. Statement of supporting stats to follow.

Cherry picked stats which, upon closer examination, sometimes actually prove title of the thread to be incorrect.

Appropriate emoticon.

www.link_showing_stats_are_real.com

Appeal to alleged authority, whose qualifications are often completely irrelevant, in attempt to further bolster legitimacy of the title of the thread followed by general call to readers for comments and possible alternative positions.

Hopefully clever username designed to invoke admiration of reader and perhaps even a little envy.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby BnGhog » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:43 pm

The title of this thread is wrong!

I have a link to prove this but I couldn't get it to work, you'll just have to take my word for it. :wink:

edited because I can't type or spell
I firmly believe the Patriots are the antichrist.

Mmmm...donuts
Location: How much text will they let me fit in this 'Location' space? I mean, can I just keep writing and wr

Postby joebagadonuts » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:53 pm

One-liner sarcastic/witty comment in reply, ambiguous in nature.
I'm a jack of all trades, the master of three
Rockin' the tables, rockin' the mikes, rockin' the young lay-dees.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:07 pm

joebagadonuts wrote:One-liner sarcastic/witty comment in reply, ambiguous in nature.

Acknowledgement of first response indicating basic understanding of the title of the thread.

Expression of sadness and slight confusion :hmm: that first decent response took so long.

Brief aside expressing hope of intelligent posts to follow.

General thanks.

Username

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby BnGhog » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:56 pm

Not to be out done, poster must respond in an effort to keep up.

Even though he knows, he is in a losing battle. :wink:

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:42 pm

Quoted post that utilizes emoticons to indicate whether replier is supportive of or angered by whatever the quoted post is expressing
RIP Sean Taylor

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:07 pm

Reference to other unrelated debate that I've had with Username. Bashing of Username's current position based on older, unresolved dispute. Rolling eyes to show general disdain. Can't get my head around the fact that Username won't agree with me on this.

Disclaimer sentence designed to show that I'm attacking the post and not the person.

Attempt to ease tension by rekindling inside joke with other poster as though we have some kind of meaningful relationship on an internet message board.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby BnGhog » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:16 am

Acknowlege of attempt to ease tension by stating and understaning of what other poster is saying.

But the poster can't let it go and continues to respond to only the bits and peices that the poster can prove while ingnoring and not responding to others.

Quote of only small portions of previous posts.

More cherry picked stats to prove a very closed minded point.

Then ending the post by saying somthing to appear to be open minded.

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:58 pm

Generic moderator warning imploring the waring parties to abide by the personal attack rules. This is often followed by one of the two parties asking how they violated said rule and accusing the other person of more egregious violations. Moderator is then forced to reiterate that the thread has not been moved or locked and that the post was a reminder to adhere to the rules, not an admonishment.
RIP Sean Taylor

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:35 pm

No, I have no idea what anybody here is talking about.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:11 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:Reference to other unrelated debate that I've had with Username. Bashing of Username's current position based on older, unresolved dispute. Rolling eyes to show general disdain. Can't get my head around the fact that Username won't agree with me on this.

Acknowledgement of several such unresolved debates coupled with admission to ignorance of particular instance cited above. Proclamation of intention to "stick to my guns" regardless.

Disclaimer sentence designed to show that I'm attacking the post and not the person.

Expression of appreciation from sometimes oversensitive poster.

Attempt to ease tension by rekindling inside joke with other poster

Relevant em 8) ticon.

as though we have some kind of meaningful relationship on an internet message board.

Noting of cleverness and complete understanding of title of the thread exhibited by Irn-Bru.

Username

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:14 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:No, I have no idea what anybody here is talking about.

Mild expression of disappointment that seemingly otherwise intelligent poster does not understand title of the thread.

Link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc1Js9P3urw to related youtube video.

Username

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:32 pm

Re-entry into the thread, claiming to have "thought it over more." Stated opinion clearly has not changed, but "fresh look" ethos contributes to a rhetorical edge. Seeming willingness to reconsider opinion makes Username look more extreme in holding to his view so strongly.

Development of fresh thoughts combined with new selected statistics to make Username's argument appear antediluvian and not taking into account today's NFL. Reference (of ambiguous nature) to other franchises who have had greater success than the Redskins in recent seasons. Point out that, among about 8,000 variables, they happen to embody my version of this argument, not Username's.

Correlation proves causation. Checkmate, Irn-Bru.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:55 pm

Use of multiple "rolling on the floor laughing my ass off" smilies to indicate that I think the previous poster is both riotously funny and totally clueless... (but also provides the givaway that I have no idea what he just said)
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

...unadulterated

Postby Hoss » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:23 pm

semi-funny random interjection from poster uninvolved.

emoticons
People may not remember exactly what you did
or what you said....

~BUT~
they will ALWAYS remember how you made them feel.

Return to The Lounge