Your favorite ST play

In memory of Sean Taylor. Please post all thoughts, well-wishes and prayers here.
Diesel

Your favorite ST play

Postby DEHog » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:26 am

As I have watched numerous tributes and highlight reel I have come to realize that in Sean's (way to short) career he had a higlight reel that most (10-12 year verteran safties) can only dream about or would be happy to have.

It got me to thinking about my favorite ST play...I have two and I'm partial to them becuase I was at both games. The first was in the Monday night comeback game in Dallas. Most remember Moss' two TD's in that game....but remember the Boys got a nice KO return and on 4th down ST made a big hit (on Crayton I believe) to seal the win.

The other was the playoff game in Tampa in 05 I was sitting in the endzone that ST score in. One second the ball is on the ground and the next he scoops it up in stride and looked like a man amongst boys as he sprited away from everyone!!
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:32 am

My favorite play was when he made Stinkston get alligator body.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

~~

Postby REDEEMEDSKIN » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:39 am

I agree with DeHog. That enormous hit on 4th down was tight!!!
Back and better than ever!

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:31 pm

I can't remember the running back's name but I loved the hit when he absolutely planted one of Denver's backs for a loss at a game in Denver. God what a nasty hit that was.
RIP Sean Taylor

Hog

Postby SKINFAN » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:40 pm

Blocked FG return to beat Dallas. JGibbs quote "If there was anyone player in that field that you wanted to have the ball it was Sean, and we were fortunate that it was him that picked it up and ran with it.
#21 (36) This IS and will always be the High watermark where all new DB's are measured.

Proverbs 27:17

mursilis

Re: Your favorite ST play

Postby Mursilis » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:55 pm

DEHog wrote:It got me to thinking about my favorite ST play...I have two and I'm partial to them becuase I was at both games. The first was in the Monday night comeback game in Dallas. Most remember Moss' two TD's in that game....but remember the Boys got a nice KO return and on 4th down ST made a big hit (on Crayton I believe) to seal the win.

I remember that play as much for the big hit as for the poor call that followed. It was only 3rd down, and Dallas was driving in Washington territory, down by only 1. If you look at it, Crayton CLEARLY (IMHO) caught the ball, and when ST separated him from it, it was a fumble, 'skins recovering. However, the refs ruled it an incompletion, giving the ball back to Dallas for another try at the first down, which was pure BS, as Crayton had control of the ball and even took a step before ST knocked him silly. Had to be a fumble, 'skins ball, but the refs thought otherwise. Luckily, Walt Harris stopped Terry Glenn 1 yard shy of the first down, and Washington got the ball back on downs. Still, Dallas got one more possession after that, and time expired with them holding the ball. That game really did go down to the wire.

---

Re: Your favorite ST play

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:08 pm

Mursilis wrote:
DEHog wrote:It got me to thinking about my favorite ST play...I have two and I'm partial to them becuase I was at both games. The first was in the Monday night comeback game in Dallas. Most remember Moss' two TD's in that game....but remember the Boys got a nice KO return and on 4th down ST made a big hit (on Crayton I believe) to seal the win.

I remember that play as much for the big hit as for the poor call that followed. It was only 3rd down, and Dallas was driving in Washington territory, down by only 1. If you look at it, Crayton CLEARLY (IMHO) caught the ball, and when ST separated him from it, it was a fumble, 'skins recovering. However, the refs ruled it an incompletion, giving the ball back to Dallas for another try at the first down, which was pure BS, as Crayton had control of the ball and even took a step before ST knocked him silly. Had to be a fumble, 'skins ball, but the refs thought otherwise. Luckily, Walt Harris stopped Terry Glenn 1 yard shy of the first down, and Washington got the ball back on downs. Still, Dallas got one more possession after that, and time expired with them holding the ball. That game really did go down to the wire.

That was definitely a fumble.

ST also laid out a Steeler once, that was a devastating hit.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:37 pm

There was a KO return the he just laid a guy out earlier this season. He hit the guy at full speed, but the would-be tackler was focused on Rock, and just got clocked. He had to be helped off the field, looking like Jim Kelly in the '92 SB.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:54 pm

I got to go with that hit on Crayton against the Cowboys. I remember it well.

Remember Gibbs just came back to the Skins. Also our guys had lost like fifteen in a row before this game. The whole game our defense was keeping us in it. Our offense was dead until the fourth quarter. Finally after two deep bombs to Moss we took the lead. suddenly we have life and feeling ok.

Oops Dallas got the ball back with about a minute to go. They are driving getting close to field goal range. After battling out to get Dallas to fourth and about six. Hike all the Redskins faithful holding there breath , for a split second I said no someone cover Crayton!

Bam! Sean Taylor mangles Crayton the ball flew like fifteen feet! Game over! Redskins win! Gatorade bath for Gibbs! First win in like four years against the Boys! Woooo!

Now that was a good feeling. :)
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby absinthe1023 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:13 am

I agree with the first post in this thread: if you only knew about Sean from watching his highlight reel, you'd think he had a 10-12 career with multiple ProBowls...

My favorite Sean Taylor play was definitely the scoop and score against Philthy in 2005. Just when it seemed the Eagles were threatening to score and eliminate the 'Skins from playoff contention, Sean jumped into the pile and recovered the backup QB's fumble before most of the players on the field even knew the ball was loose.

Thanks to his great vision and balance, Sean was able to surely scoop up the ball while barely slowing down. It was obvious that even if the field had been 200 yards long, no Eagles player that day was going to catch him as he streaked down the left sideline.

The photo of Sean in midflight over the goalline after launching himself from the 5 yard line is one of the most iconic NFL images I have ever seen.

I would've given anything to be in the first few rows of that endzone section when Sean sealed that win and sent the 'Skins to the playoffs.
"No one played with more heart."

-Clinton Portis on Sean Taylor

As of 11/27/07, I resolve to never again read any version of the Washington Post.

mursilis

Postby Mursilis » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:21 am

HEROHAMO wrote:I got to go with that hit on Crayton against the Cowboys. I remember it well.

Remember Gibbs just came back to the Skins. Also our guys had lost like fifteen in a row before this game. The whole game our defense was keeping us in it. Our offense was dead until the fourth quarter. Finally after two deep bombs to Moss we took the lead. suddenly we have life and feeling ok.

Oops Dallas got the ball back with about a minute to go. They are driving getting close to field goal range. After battling out to get Dallas to fourth and about six. Hike all the Redskins faithful holding there breath , for a split second I said no someone cover Crayton!

Bam! Sean Taylor mangles Crayton the ball flew like fifteen feet! Game over! Redskins win! Gatorade bath for Gibbs! First win in like four years against the Boys! Woooo!

Now that was a good feeling. :)

Everyone "remembers it well", but no one gets the facts right?!?! #-o
It wasn't 4 & 6, it was 3rd and 4, and Walt Harris had to make a stop on Terry Glenn the next play to end the drive. It wasn't the last play, and it wasn't even the last series - there was still 1:53 to play afterward and Dallas got the ball back one more time (and the defense stoned them again). And Gibbs didn't "just" come back - the game was in 2005, his second year back. Here's the link to the NFL gamecenter entry for that game, to refresh everyone's memory:http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay?game_id=28556&displayPage=tab_play_by_play&season=2005&week=REG2.
But it was still a great hit. :lol:

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:28 pm

The photo of Sean in midflight over the goalline after launching himself from the 5 yard line is one of the most iconic NFL images I have ever seen.

Great comment!!

Wouldn't it be great if the NFL put that on the NFL logo, like the NBA and MLB have on their's
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:02 pm

absinthe1023 wrote:The photo of Sean in midflight over the goalline after launching himself from the 5 yard line is one of the most iconic NFL images I have ever seen.

I agree. It's almost symbolic like he was preparing to launch himself into Heaven or something. That's one image that REALLY sticks out in my mind.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Hog

Postby absinthe1023 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:13 am

DEHog wrote:

Great comment!!

Wouldn't it be great if the NFL put that on the NFL logo, like the NBA and MLB have on their's

That would be amazing, but would only happen if Sean had played for the Patriots or Cowboys...
"No one played with more heart."

-Clinton Portis on Sean Taylor

As of 11/27/07, I resolve to never again read any version of the Washington Post.

Return to Sean Taylor Tribute