Permanent Sean Taylor Tribute Page

In memory of Sean Taylor. Please post all thoughts, well-wishes and prayers here.
Site Admin

Permanent Sean Taylor Tribute Page

Postby admin » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:32 am

Obviously as a website, we are going to create a complete page or section dedicated to the memory of Sean Taylor. We will put the wallpaper that NC43 created there, the flash tribute that I did... perhaps all of the articles about him... we have a lot of great photos of him that THNers have taken... whatever... I'll come up with that.

But I would like to give you all a chance to say something about Sean and we will post those too. I won't likely use all of them, but we will take some of them and add them to the site... this INCLUDES staff members.

If you have a story, or a favorite memory, whatever... please post them here. I know there are existing threads already where you may have done just that... so feel free to just cut and paste them here. There are so many threads with similar sentiments expressed, that I just want to be able to have one place to look, and to grab what I feel is one of the most important and memorable things about Sean - how he affected the fans.

Thanks.
Last edited by admin on Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hog

Postby LOSTHOG » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:38 am

once again a classy move by our admin staff...thanks BH

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:35 pm

Most of the time, when you hear Sean Taylor's name, you hear about the monster hits, the spitting incident or ATV's. Very rarely do you hear anything positive and personal about the 'skins safety. I was lucky enough to witness a very different side of ST yesterday, and I want to recount it here.

First, I'll need to start with a little background information. My son, Jackson, is a soon-to-be-six year old that has gained a bit of a reputation as a kid with an uncanny knowledge of Redskins personnel. After his second training camp, just prior to turning two, we bought him a 'Skins' yearbook and he would pick pages and ask who the players were. We would, of course, tell him who each player was. Soon, he could name every - and I mean EVERY - player listed inside that guide.

He could pick out Laveranues Coles on commercials without his uniform. His favorite player was Gibran Hamdan. Heck, the following year, NikiH took him through the lines of Fan Appreciation day and came back with a signature I couldn't read. NikiH didn't know who had signed it, only that it was the last guy at the table. Jackson says, "Oh. That was Bill Ferrario!" Anyone here beside Jake that could pick Bill Ferrario out of a line-up?

Now that that's out of the way, I'll get to Sean Taylor. I was taking Jackson around the VIP section getting autographs from some of his favorite players. We tried to get Fred Smoot, without any luck and I spied Sean Taylor. Jackson walks up with his book open, sees the 21 jersey and has a freudian slip. He says, "Excuse me Mr. Smoot. Will you please sign my yearbook?"

I lean down to correct him, but before I can, Taylor says, "I'd be happy to sign your book. What's your name?"

My son replies, "Jackson."

Taylor says, "Well, it's nice to meet you Jackson. My name is Sean and I'm very pleased to meet you. "

He signs the book, and Jackson says, "Thank you!" , to which Taylor replies, "Thank you for coming out to practice today."

I was thoroughly impressed with the way Taylor handled the situation. Many players don't interact with the people they are signing for. They step, sign, step, sign. Sean Taylor proved what I've come to realize in my dealings with Brandon Lloyd. Don't believe everything you read. These guys are human, too.

I know one, very happy 5 year old who agrees.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

Brown in the Hall

Postby NC43Hog » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:51 pm

He always was one of the last guys off the field at practice (days I was at trainging camp the last 4 years). Always seemed to be having a good time, never to much in a hurry to stop and sigh autographs.

And the HAIR. GOD love him.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

Hog

Postby EasyMoney » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:55 pm

I'm the LM in my fantasy league and I wrote this in the managers note section. I'm not sure if it's appropriate for what you're trying to do but I'll let you decide.

--------------------------------

I want people to remember some things about Sean Taylor. I think we all know what he'd done in the past (symposium, DUI, Pittman, ATV's) and sadly that's exactly what people will remember him by and some people are using that as a base to judge him now or to make sense of what happened.

I can't really relate to this because I haven't had children but I would think that it's a life altering thing. It's usually the first time in life that you put yourself second. 18 months ago Sean Taylor had a girl and 18 months ago Sean Taylor was worried if he'd ever play football again. Can anyone name an incident in the last 18 months where Sean Taylor could have potentially ruined his career? I certainly can't and I consider myself to be a pretty big Redskins fan. My point is that he was doing his best to change his life and it's sad that he could not escape some of his previous transgressions.

I appreciate the sympathy from the fans of other teams but there is no possible way you can understand what Redskins fans are going through, just like there is no possible way we can understand what the Taylor family and the Redskins themselves are going through.

I have plenty of good memories of Sean and I just want to go over a few of them. I can't tell you how many times I've played Madden and watched my opponent purposely get out of his way. Lamont can testify to this, when Taylor and Westbrook meet it's not usually a good thing for BW. The dive at the end of 05 at the Linc., I had that picture as a background to my computer for years. Todd Pinkston and Terry Glenn's alligator arms. The fumble recovery in the Buc's playoff game. Him laying out to crush T.O. and T.O. having to get stretched on the sideline. Last year when Taylor would hunt T.O. and punish him. Breaking T.O.'s fingers in one game by just slapping the ball away. I don't think they got along too well. Sealing the deal against Dallas in 05 with the huge hit on Crayton to end the game. Those are just a few of the many.

I had a little thread at the bottom of the page here that I wrote about a week before Sean passed. Claiming that Taylor was the best safety in the league. That wasn't just a homer being a homer, it was genuine. There will not be another Sean Taylor ever, but there certainly will not be another athlete like Sean Taylor for a really really long time. How often does a kid come out of college that is built like a linebacker but can run like a corner? 6-2, 230 and runs a 4.3? An no, Calvin Johnson is not built like a linebacker. Sanders is a great player and probably the only player I would compare to Taylor but my god, Sanders gives up 4 inches and 30 lbs! If Champ Bailey is a "shutdown" corner then Sean Taylor was certainly a "shutdown" safety.

I'll remember him that way.

swine

Postby funbunch65 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:27 pm

I loved watching Sean Taylor square off against T.O. The loudest WR in football seemed to always be silenced after Taylor would smack him in the mouth a couple of times.

It was real treat to watch the man play, a true physical specimen and I think it is safe to say that there will never be another safety in the game like Sean Taylor. I think it was Gibbs that said that he could have played any position on the field.

Hog

Postby MEZZSKIN » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:19 pm

For me it was the Packer game this year ...WOW he was unreal ....FAVRE was conmpltely shut down due to Sean roaming back there in CF.
HE HAD TWO PICKS AND ALMOST 2 MORE.

to me that game showed his maturity and level of committment to his craft was paying off.

GOD BLESS YOU "MEAST" the burgundy and gold will forever honor you

aka Sarcastic Hog

Postby skinz74 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:55 pm

I've been silenced by an emotionally numb environment the last couple of days. In the same day of hearing that my youngest daughter may develop brain damage due to her skull shape, I was sent further down the spiral by our tragedy. I am not shamed to admit that I cried on both accounts...emotions were powerful for both my families.

My daughter, God bless, will be okay, and will not suffer from the aforementioned diagnosis according to our nuerosurgeon. Sean, however, was taken from his baby, fiance, parents, the organization, league, and fan family in a way that none of us will ever understand.

Sean was the player that Lavar, Heath, etc. never became...a fan adored superstar who made grueling losses bearable by his level of play. I'll never forget that Eagles game in 05. Our playoff chances were dangling in the wind...when all of a sudden he picks off the pass and dives/rolls into the endzone. After we won that game, due to a dare, ran around my neighborhood in nothing but boxers and a redskins flag singing HTTR.

He loved the game, and you could see it in his face. The determination must have been hidden behind the gleem, because I only remember the smiles. It was infectious...as you could see how his level of play raised the bar for everyone around him.

I now live in Newport News, VA...and see the details vividly on the news and it hurts my heart. I would have been ecstatic if he would have lived and never played another down of football. As I type this, I have to choke back emotions as they resurface through my own words.

I feel that we should honor Sean by enjoying the Redskins...the way he did. Through victory or loss, remembering that the players on the field are fathers, husbands, and human...and not be too judgemental on psuedo-intellectual media slant.

I hope that together as a family, we can strengthen our fanbase through this adversity. Thank you for providing us with a forum of therapy.

Thank you, Sean, for letting us into your light...may we continue to flourish within it.

$.02
:(
<~~~~~Runs with scissors X
(_E=mc2_)

“This is where I'm most comfortable, ... This is my life, where I work. I'm definitely glad to be back.” #21

Hog

Postby Charm City Sports » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:21 pm

I like the T.O /Taylor match up. T.O. would always run his mouth untill he got tht first ST hit.

Remember when Sean hit him out of bounds that one time?

TO looked right at the Ref as to say "Your not gonna call that?"

Sean walked up to him, put his arms up and was like "quit cryin, cause I am gonna hit you like that all day sucker!"

And of couse you can't forget the hit on P. Crayton to insure the win on the Dallas Miricle.

And the hit on ________ (insert name) and the interception against _______(insert name)

I love the hit on the kicker last year att he Pro Bowl.

But my favorite play of all time, HAS to be his fumble return for the TD in the playoffs against the Bucs. No doubt. Huge play, and it meant something.
Words can't express the loss I feel in my heart.

R.I.P. # 21

We will always remember you.

Sean Taylor was known for his hard hits.

His hardest hit will always be the day that he was taken from us.

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:23 pm

During the 2004 draft I literally yelled in anger at the television because we drafted Sean Taylor. I BADLY wanted the Redskins to draft Kellen Winslow Jr. instead.

Sean Taylor proved me wrong practically every day he was a Redskin.

Not only did he mature on the field by playing within the system, but he became such a strong teacher, such a positive locker room influence he was practically a team captain.

If there's football in Heaven then I'll think of Sean Taylor the next time I hear thunder.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Hog

Postby BeeGee » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:12 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:During the 2004 draft I literally yelled in anger at the television because we drafted Sean Taylor. I BADLY wanted the Redskins to draft Kellen Winslow Jr. instead.

Sean Taylor proved me wrong practically every day he was a Redskin.

Not only did he mature on the field by playing within the system, but he became such a strong teacher, such a positive locker room influence he was practically a team captain.

If there's football in Heaven then I'll think of Sean Taylor the next time I hear thunder.
Funny because I was the exact opposite. When the Skins drafted Taylor I was truly hurt because I felt like the Cowboys would have to deal with the next great safety for years. "Anybody but Taylor," I thought, and I was hopeful because there didn't seem to be much Redskin buzz about him at the time. And yes, he lit T.O., Terry Glenn, and Crayton (ouch!) up like Christmas trees every time he got the chance to. I think my favorite ST hit is the one on Antonio Gates in '05, if I'm not mistaken. He hit Gates so hard that they almost had to call timeout and excavate him.
Cowboys 7- Redskins 6 (All we needed was 2 minutes of the 60)
Cowboys 17 - Redskins 0 (Way to NOT show up for the 100th anniversary)
----- TWO EASY -----

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:43 am

LOL@BeeGee.. true dat man!

My favorite hit from ST that always sticks out was definitely the one on Crayton. I thought the poor guy got his brains knocked loose!

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:01 am

My favorite picture was whenever the photographer caught him smiling. It seemed more like the real Sean Taylor than the "out of control" plays in his few first years.

Favorite stories are of Taylor talking to kids. I've run across a few of those in addition to the Jackson story. I'll link to them tomorrow One from Pete Kendal, another from Buck Ortega's father. Ortega was a Miami teammate, and, I think, went to Gulliver Prep with Taylor.

piglet

Postby HIGHLINE HAGLER » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:06 am

Wow, that couldn't have been said better.
SHE ASKED US TO STAY FOR TEA AND HAVE SOME FUN.....

Hog

Postby 1fan4ramsey » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:09 pm

I too loved watching the T.O. and Taylor match up. T.O. never had great games against us when Taylor was in there, he matched up very well agianst T.O. and jawed at him on just about every play, he kept T.O. in check and I feel T.O. had great respect for him.

Living in the Philly area I'm glad my son and I got to go see the Redskins on News Years Day 2006 when they played the Eagles and had to win to get in the playoffs. Redskins.com is calling this game his defining moment as a pro, as he picks up a Coy Detmer fumble and runs it into the endzone to seal the victory and propels us into the playoffs.
My son has a vigil set up on his dresser for Sean, his signed mini-helmet and a Sean Taylor playing card. He is going to be missed in our house.
don't even

Return to Sean Taylor Tribute