Other Rules up for Grabs

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
DarthMonk

Other Rules up for Grabs

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:01 pm

NFL owners to vote on potentially new extra point, replay, roster rules
by Josh Katzowitz | NFL Writer
March 19, 2014 11:21 PM ET

NFL owners will have the opportunity to vote on a number of extra-point changes.

When the owners meetings commence next week, the NFL owners will vote on a number of potential rules changes that could come into effect next season. During a conference call on Wednesday, the league's competition committee revealed the proposals.

Here are ones you should know about:

As for the potential 15-yard penalty that would occur if an official heard a player use a racial slur ...

NFL will not have new rule re: abusive language. Just emphasis current rule. "We empower a foul to be called for that type of language.''

As far as potentially expanding the playoffs by two teams in time for the 2015 season, that might or might not come to a vote at the owners meetings.

And in other news, the finalists for Super Bowl LII (in 2018) are Indianapolis, Minneapolis and New Orleans. That vote will be taken in May. Miami reportedly was not asked to bid.

The Redskins proposed to move the kickoffs to the 40-yard line, to allow instant replay to extend to personal foul penalties, and to get rid of preseason overtime.

The Patriots proposed to move the goalpost 5 feet higher, to move extra points to the 25-yard line, to place fixed cameras on all boundary lines and to expand replays to make sure a coach can challenge any play but a scoring play (which are all reviewed anyway). If the potential rule that would move extra points to the 25-yard line doesn't pass, the competition committee supported the idea that all of the games in one preseason weekend would feature extra points kicked from the 20-yard line.

The competition committee proposed more protection for the back of a player's legs when he is rolled up by a defender. It also proposed an expansion of replay that would cover a loose ball in the middle of a play (like the Navarro Bowman fumble in the playoffs) and that the clock wouldn't stop after a sack.

As for roster gymnastics, the Redskins proposed raising the active gameday roster from 46 to 49 when a game is played on Thursday. They also proposed increasing the practice squad to 10 players, expanding the short-term IR list to beyond just one player, and having only one cutdown day during training camp.

The Colts proposed allowing a team that houses a retractable roof to have the ability to open or close it at halftime.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

FanFromAnnapolis

Re: Other Rules up for Grabs

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:13 pm

What if they moved kickoffs back to the 40, but kicks that went out of the endzone were penalized just like any other direct-to-out-of-bounds kick? I wouldn't mind seeing that at all.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:49 am

Irn-Bru wrote:What if they moved kickoffs back to the 40, but kicks that went out of the endzone were penalized just like any other direct-to-out-of-bounds kick? I wouldn't mind seeing that at all.

I would like that but have two comments.

It would fly in the face of the NFL's alleged concern about injuries on kickoffs.

It would make sense to me to penalize a kick that flew out of the end zone but not one that bounced out.

At first blush I like the idea.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:39 pm

Your revision might be better.

The whole injuries on kickoffs thing is being handled poorly. Either they are part of the game or they aren't. If I had a voice on these committees I'd say, penalize risky practices (like wedges) if you're going to keep kickoffs, and then stand behind that facet of the game as legitimate and good. Or get rid of them and cite safety concerns. But don't do something in between, like modify the rules so that the de facto result is a touchback but everyone still has to go through the motions — and commercial breaks. :puke:
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:26 am

Irn-Bru wrote:<snip> modify the rules so that the de facto result is a touchback but everyone still has to go through the motions — and commercial breaks. :puke:

Call me cynical, but, unfortunately, I think that protecting what is in the highlighted text is really what this tinkering is really all about.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:32 pm

Countertrey wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:<snip> modify the rules so that the de facto result is a touchback but everyone still has to go through the motions — and commercial breaks. :puke:

Call me cynical, but, unfortunately, I think that protecting what is in the highlighted text is really what this tinkering is really all about.

I had a philosophy teacher who called me the cynic. I agree with your analysis. All too true.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:04 am

I am glad the NFL is going to come down harder on players for taunting - never liked it =D>

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... nting-rule
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

Return to Around the League