Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:15 am

tribeofjudah wrote:How about we pick up Revis...?

...and drop him where...?? New England..???
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:25 am

lol. Wouldn't this be crazy?

The Washington Post reports free agent CB Carlos Rogers could be a "possibility" for the Redskins.
Washington is in the market for a slot corner with Josh Wilson a free agent. That's where Rogers excels at this point in his career. The 32-year-old started his career in D.C. and shouldn't command more than a one-year deal.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:27 am

riggofan wrote:lol. Wouldn't this be crazy?

The Washington Post reports free agent CB Carlos Rogers could be a "possibility" for the Redskins.
Washington is in the market for a slot corner with Josh Wilson a free agent. That's where Rogers excels at this point in his career. The 32-year-old started his career in D.C. and shouldn't command more than a one-year deal.

LMAO nice. That'd be funny.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:41 am

Aaron Wilson ✔ @RavensInsider

Redskins are hosting free agent offensive lineman Bruce Campbell (Maryland) for a visit today, according to a league source

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:29 am

I would love to pick up Chris Clemons and Tarrel Brown on the cheap. This free agency confirms IMO that Snyder is completely OUT of the picture. Finished. We are finally building this correctly.
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:59 pm

I see Ryan Clark is coming in for a visit.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:05 pm

Ryan Clark that used to play for us or his son or some unrelated guy with the same name? Isn't he old?
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:27 pm

emoses14 wrote:Ryan Clark that used to play for us or his son or some unrelated guy with the same name? Isn't he old?

Ryan Clark, Pittsburgh Safety who used to play here. He's 34, so I resent your calling him "old". :)

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:36 pm

riggofan wrote:
emoses14 wrote:Ryan Clark that used to play for us or his son or some unrelated guy with the same name? Isn't he old?

Ryan Clark, Pittsburgh Safety who used to play here. He's 34, so I resent your calling him "old". :)

Old is relative. Relative to NFL players, not us normal phenomenal 34(5) year olds!
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby RayNAustin » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:51 pm

I guess I'm the only one extremely disappointed in how the early stage of FA has worked out?

The way is see it, the Redskins have totally dropped the ball in not acquiring one of the top tier DB's ... particularly Byrd, given the dire need for a free safety. The Saints picked him up for less than 10 M per year, and the Redskins could have easily afforded that for a game changer on defense.

Think about what you all would be thinking if we still had Sean Taylor, and we let him walk? Now, I'm not saying Byrd is equivalent to ST, but he's a legit star FS, and these types are rarely available on the open market, and the situation called for aggressive action to land him:

1) we badly need a FS ... it's been a gaping hole since ST's tragic murder.

2) we don't have a #1 draft pick, and haven't for the past two years. This equates to being shorted two impact star players ... and with the cap penalty in place the last two years, we were painted in a corner, ad need to catch up, and fill those gaps in FA now that the penalty is lifted, else we continue to operate short handed in talent.

3) our cornerback pay is not as bad as it might seem, given that we've been using players at the safety position that have no business being starters in the NFL ... perhaps not even backup quality. Great safety play really allows your corners to press and be more aggressive, knowing they have help should their man get behind them, and when that happens, and it happens to most CB's, the error is more visible when the safety sucks, and the result of the play is an 80 yard TD. Nobody takes note of the DB that get's beat deep, when the safety makes the play, and it doesn't show up in the stats.

4) aside from a dominant pass rusher, I don't think there is another position on defense that offers more big play, game changing opportunities than can be made by a super star safety .... while Ray Lewis was the central figure in the Ravens defense, it was Ed Reed who really produced those game changing plays so often. Turnovers decide many games, and the safety is in the best spot to generate turnovers. It's not a position to target a player that is merely average or competent, because when the safety screws up, the result is often 7 points.

So, here we are ... a horrific secondary .... no draft pick in the first round, but the football Gods were smiling on us .... cap penalty lifted, cap increased, and a free agent group with several star quality players at the very positions of greatest need .. Safety and Corner. We had. The ability to fix the backfield problems instantly!!!

So far, we've whiffed.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:17 pm

I'm not disappointed at all - we're in dire need of a decent secondary but we also have to face the fact that it's not getting better by going overboard by adding 1 good/great safety

this franchise is building itself up and recovering from the BS cap hit and the micro managing/coaching of Mike Shanahan

the franchise is in a good place and just like Rome it cannot be rebuilt in a day

enjoy the process ... I am
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:30 pm

RayNAustin wrote:The way is see it, the Redskins have totally dropped the ball in not acquiring one of the top tier DB's ... particularly Byrd, given the dire need for a free safety.

I can't agree with you there. Thats too much money for us. If they whiffed on anyone, they whiffed on Mitchell. And that's ASSUMING that they didn't offer enough. For all we know, they offered Mitchell more and he still signed elsewhere. This isn't indentured servitude, these guys have thoughts/opinions on where they want to play.

Moving forward, I see a couple of things happening.

- The Redskins resigning Ryan Clark for a 1 year deal.
- Who's the FS that's been suspended for us? They will invite him back to participate.

Those two will battle it out for the starting nod. If Clark wins and the suspended dude is DOA, they'll hope Rambo will develop. If he doesn't it'll be addressed next year.

In addition, it's rumored that Carlos Rogers could be resigned to play in the slot. That's where he's dominant at. So, there's still players to be signed. We're not going to solidify EVERY position for years to come in one free-agency period. Some will be bandaids.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:09 pm

RayNAustin wrote:I guess I'm the only one extremely disappointed in how the early stage of FA has worked out?

I don't agree with everything you wrote, especially about Byrd. But yeah I'm a little anxious about what we've seen so far. We all know what the big holes are right now. Even if we can't afford a Byrd right now (which I don't believe we really could), I'm anxious to see some kind of solution at safety. No offense to Ryan Clark, but is that really the best option we can find at this point? Maybe it is, I don't know. I'm also concerned about that inside linebacker spot.

Btw I know a lot of people will hate me for saying this, but I think we should just go ahead and re-sign Doughty if its not going to cost much. He's one of the few decent special teams guys, and even though no one wants to see him on the field, he's bailed us out year after year when a safety has been injured.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:10 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:We're not going to solidify EVERY position for years to come in one free-agency period. Some will be bandaids.

Unfortunately true.

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:15 pm

RayNaustin, I am with you. We desperately need a FS and/or secondary help. I don't know if over paying for Byrd was the answer, but there were other safety options out there, and we seemed to be asleep at the wheel.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football