Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby riggofan » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:48 am

blowwad wrote:Just saw that the Browns released D'Qwell Jackson over the idea of having to pay a $4 million workout bonus. 141 total tackles last year (75 tackles + 66 assists).

Keep Perry and pick up the veteran help at a decent price to shore up the ilb area maybe??

Who knows, but Keim thinks Jackson is a legit option/possibility for the Redskins.
http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-reds ... r-redskins
In Jackson’s case, though, he clearly provides something the Redskins need: A veteran presence at inside linebacker who can still play. They already have one defensive coach who knows what Jackson can, and can’t do, in outside linebackers coach Brian Baker. He served as Cleveland’s outside linebacker’s coach a year ago. Also, coach Jay Gruden had to scheme twice a year against Cleveland’s defense for the past three seasons.

I’d be surprised if the Redskins aren’t interested for these reasons (and if they’re not, that’s also telling). We already know they need at least one inside linebacker capable of starting. Seven teams reportedly contacted Jackson’s representatives after news of his release, with a visit set at one of them for Thursday. One Redskins source pointed out, however, that Jackson was not yet on the league’s transactions (that will occur Thursday) so admitting interest would be to admit tampering as well. But, yes, they’ve done their homework on him.

Either way, I think its pretty likely that we'll go after a veteran LB for Fletcher's spot.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

SCskinsFan

Postby SCSkinsFan » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:31 pm

OL. ILB, and S
Skins fan Stuck in Panther land

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:32 pm

I don't think this would be a "big money" deal, but rotoworld suggests Kenny Britt as a free agent fit for the Skins today:

Redskins: Wide receiver Kenny Britt -- New coach Jay Gruden likes his receivers to be able to block. Although Britt was benched multiple times for effort reasons in Tennessee, he once was a willing blocker and destroyed opposing defensive backs on occasion at Rutgers. Britt is a high-profile name. We know owner Dan Snyder likes those. Leonard Hankerson may not be ready for Week 1, and Josh Morgan is a free agent. It's still unclear if Britt will ever be the same player he showed flashes of being early in his career, but he's still just 25 and would be worth a prove-it one-year deal.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/4 ... -fits?pg=2
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:04 pm

riggofan wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:I think the offensive line should be high priority. A RT and a guard L/R would help.

I don't disagree, but do you think these positions can really be addressed properly in free agency? What player would you spend a lot of money on to help the offensive line? I heard C00ley on the radio the other day, and he was pretty big on Alex Mack.

I've been looking at the top FA list, and I think CB and Safety are the positions where we could get a young, quality guy who would be an immediate upgrade. Safeties just seem like bigger injury risks to me, so I would put some money into trying to land one of the best CBs.

Anyway, we all know the numerous needs the team has. The question is: which ONE position would you spend big money on when FA starts?

No I dont think we can address all the holes through free agency. Its going to have to be free agency and hit on our draft picks.

Free agency is always expensive. So it is much better if we find gems in the draft. But definatley need to pick up some free agents. We still have to re sign Orakpo. I believe? I am not so sure I would do that if he asks for too much money.

If I had to spend the money I would bring in a proven defensive lineman and a saftey. Tackles can be expensive especially if they are quality. Then again most any quality starter whos a free agent will cost a pretty penny. So pretty much I prefer we hit on our draft picks. But there is no denying we should at least pick up two free agents to fill holes on both sides.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:07 pm

emoses14 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:Our inside linebackers are terrible. We need help bad at the ILB position.

Fletcher is gone, but why do you think Riley is terrible? I couldn't disagree more.

Yeah I don't get this one either. I'm actually really happy with Riley's play and view the ILB we need to find as his replacement. He, Riley, is Fletcher's replacement, technically.

I didnt want to bring up painful memories. But Ill name just one play but I can name many others since I study the game films.

Green Bay game Riley gets toasted for a fifty yard TD. I dont want to spend too much time grilling him because he was put in bad position to begin with. But still he blew his assignment. Not saying he cant improve. Just thought he had a very bad year. So did Fletcher for that matter.

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:17 am

HEROHAMO wrote:I didnt want to bring up painful memories. But Ill name just one play but I can name many others since I study the game films.

Green Bay game Riley gets toasted for a fifty yard TD. I dont want to spend too much time grilling him because he was put in bad position to begin with. But still he blew his assignment. Not saying he cant improve. Just thought he had a very bad year. So did Fletcher for that matter.

Every player has a bad play or three throughout an entire season, but I don't think it's possible for an ILB to be "toasted for a fifty yard TD." Safeties are the last line of defense. An ILB can get toasted for maybe 20 yards max, but there are other breakdowns that occur on a 50 yard play.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:23 am

Also, there's this:

Fletcher said it was important for him to leave a legacy -- part of that, he said, was training fellow inside linebacker Perry Riley -- and felt like that had been accomplished.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10158 ... ely-retire
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:50 am

Hey I respect London. Nothing would make me happier to see Riley flourish on our defense.
I guess we will just agree to disagree.
I cant point my finger to just one guy with all the drama of last year. Also I liked how Riley Jr. played the year prior.

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:33 pm

MMQB suggests Linval Joseph as a possible Redskins target:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/02/27/2014-free ... fl-top-50/
Interior DL, New York Giants (Age 25)

An emerging DT in a 4-3 scheme, Joseph also appeals to 3-4 teams looking for a nose or end to play both gaps. Joseph gives teams options, so he’ll be popular. Best fit: Redskins. You’d think the Giants will try to retain him, but if they don’t, Redskins could pounce.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:45 pm

I think the Skins should make a run at ILB Vincent Rey...

According to Tom Pelissero of USA Today, the Bengals have tendered restricted free agents WR Andrew Hawkins, WR Dane Sanzenbacher, and LB Vincent Rey.
Per the rules regarding restricted free agents, the Bengals tendered all three players at the “low” level, which carries a $1.431 million salary for next season.
If another team signs one of these players to an offer sheet, and the Bengals decline to match, the Bengals would receive a draft pick in the round the player was originally drafted in.
All three players were signed as undrafted free agents, therefore Cincinnati would not receive any draft picks if they signed an offer sheet with another team and the Bengals declined to match.

Rey, 26, is coming off of his best season in the league in which he produced 57 tackles, four sacks, two interceptions — one returned for a touchdown — a forced fumble and a recovery.

WR Andrew Hawkins might be a option too...
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:17 pm

Raiding the Bengals' pantry!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:42 pm

riggofan wrote:Raiding the Bengals' pantry!

Seems like the right thing to do since we took one of there cooks :D
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:47 pm

Good grief, this is an awesome article by Bill Polian.

NFL free-agency dos and don'ts
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/ ... agency-nfl

If you follow these guidelines, I guarantee the following things will happen:

• A segment of your fans will be unhappy.

• The local media will be very unhappy. (And they won't credit you for the dollars spent re-signing your own free agents, either, even though that does count on your cap.)

• The agents will be unhappy with you ... and will be vocal about it.

• And all will say, "You're not trying to win."

That was fine with me, because in reality, by following this approach, there are tangible benefits.

Your cap will be well-managed, which is absolutely necessary for sustained success. And you will have the ability to sign your own free agents first -- and they must be a priority, especially when you're a good team.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:51 pm

I won't post the full article since its insider, but here are the tips. I believe these fourteen tips can be summed up just by saying, "Take a look at what Vinny Cerrato has done, and do the opposite."

1. Do fill needs and make sure the player has a specific scheme fit.

Free agency has a place in building your roster. If you find the right player to fit the right need and provide a missing component, it can be a good investment. But you want to make sure there is a precise reason you're adding that player.

2. Don't sign a player and change his techniques.

It is hard enough for players to adapt to a new team. For example, don't take a Tampa 2, 3-technique and expect him to become a Parcells/Belichick 3-4 DE. Those are totally different techniques, and players who have to make that type of adjustment don't make the transition well. Adapting and then trying to learn a new role on top of that adds complications that can ruin your investment. You could have a relatively brief window of return, so retraining shouldn't be a big part of it.

3. Do know the player you are signing very well.

In free agency, millions of dollars are on the line. If you miss, you'll feel it. So you'll want to be as informed as possible. You'll want to know a player's practice habits, his life off the field, his football intelligence, and any of his physical shortcomings, if any (and most have them). You'll gather this information through a variety of sources: a coach who has been with the player previously, a front-office person who knows the player personally, a trainer, your own psychological reports from when the player was in the draft, and your internal pro and college scouting reports. Even though those reports may seem dated, leopards usually don't change their spots. If there was a problem then, you can't assume it's no longer a problem now. You can't have a shortage of information.

4. Don't believe that "your culture" will change a person's behavior.

There is a tendency to believe that a player with character issues will turn things around if you put him in the right environment and provide the proper structure. I have rarely found that to be the case, particularly when the player is recruited and given big guaranteed dollars. If you don't want problems, don't sign problem players. Don't assume "your culture" is a fix.

5. Do realize that you are never one player away from a championship.

This game has a 100 percent injury rate, and your entire team's efficiency can be changed by just a few serious injuries. If only it were as easy as signing that "one" right player at the right time.

6. Do be very disciplined in sticking to your budget.

If you spend recklessly, there will inevitably come a time when you need the money that you no longer have. It sounds simple, but it's not an easy practice to execute.

7. Don't pay a player above his grade.

Don't give A-money (or years) to a B-player, and so on down the line. As discussed at the start of this article, the free-agent market as a whole is almost always a losing investment. Just because another team is willing to give a player a certain contract doesn't mean he's worth that price to your team. There is no universal price for a player because every player has a different value to each team. You need to trust your internal valuations and proceed off those figures, not the market.

8. Don't give A- or B-money (or years) to a player who doesn't play well on third down.

A- and B-grade free agents are supposed to be difference-makers and starters, respectively. If he's not playing well on third down, he's not earning his money. If a player is not even on the field on third down, he's definitely not earning big money.

9. Don't give a four-year or longer contract, even to an A-player, who is 28 years of age or older.

This rule doesn't apply to QBs, who can perform well beyond their age-31 season. For virtually every position besides centers, QBs and elite WRs, you will see a downturn in production beyond age 31. So if you give an older player a five-year deal, it's likely you're going to be eating a lot dead money. And you might not get equal production for the contract in the meantime.

10. Don't give a long-term contract to players with a significant injury history.

Significant injuries would include multiple major surgeries or concussions, or degenerative joint disease -- as diagnosed by a team physician in the physical. If a player has not averaged 12 games or more in the last two seasons, that is also cause to steer clear.

11. Do beware of players whose production dramatically increases in their contract year.

If a player is lousy for three years and then spikes in Year 4 and becomes a world-beater, be careful. You're more likely to get the production from those first three seasons, but you'll be paying for the results of the fourth. It's not a knock on the effort of the first three years, it's a trust in the bigger sample size.

12. Don't chase the market, particularly for someone else's player, and don't allow agents to manipulate you.

There is a lot of pressure on GMs during this time of year. Everyone will be advocating for a deal that is in his best interest, so you have to make sure you do the same and stay focused on what's best for your team. Set the price you feel is fair, and if that price escalates, walk away.

13. Don't pay a free agent more money than the A-players or B-plus-players on your team.

This has to do with both rewarding loyalty and maintaining a balanced cost structure within your team. For example, if the Colts were in the WR market, don't pay a free-agent receiver more than you're paying Reggie Wayne. Why? Because it creates bad locker-room chemistry. Players might not know much about the history of football, but they all know what everyone at their position around the league is making.

14. Do save your money if you're not yet ready to contend.

This one is new, growing out of the latest collective bargaining agreement. Now, unused cap room can be rolled over as long as a team stays above the cap floor. To that end, don't waste your money on C-grade players, or even B-grade players who aren't going to help in the long term. Save your money and use it to extend your homegrown players.

Seriously, that's a funny article to read and consider how many of these tips the Redskins would have broken over the past decade.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:34 am

Some very good points here - I do hope these guys learn from all the mistakes that have put us in this position

we're not a good team - we need to be patient - this is the Redskins reality

to simplify the do's and don'ts even more

1. Do fill needs and make sure the player has a specific scheme fit.

find the right player to fit the right need and provide a missing component ... make sure there is a precise reason you're adding that player.

2. Don't sign a player and change his techniques.

It is hard enough for players to adapt to a new team.... You could have a relatively brief window of return, so re-training shouldn't be a big part of it.

3. Do know the player you are signing very well.

4. Don't believe that "your culture" will change a person's behavior.

If you don't want problems, don't sign problem players. Don't assume "your culture" is a fix.

5. Do realize that you are never one player away from a championship.

This game has a 100 percent injury rate, and your entire team's efficiency can be changed by just a few serious injuries.

6. Do be very disciplined in sticking to your budget.

It sounds simple, but it's not an easy practice to execute.

7. Don't pay a player above his grade.

Just because another team is willing to give a player a certain contract doesn't mean he's worth that price to your team.

8. Don't give A- or B-money (or years) to a player who doesn't play well on third down.

If he's not playing well on third down, he's not earning his money. If a player is not even on the field on third down, he's definitely not earning big money.

9. Don't give a four-year or longer contract, even to an A-player, who is 28 years of age or older.

For virtually every position besides centers, QBs and elite WRs, you will see a downturn in production beyond age 31.

10. Don't give a long-term contract to players with a significant injury history.

If a player has not averaged 12 games or more in the last two seasons, that is also cause to steer clear.

11. Do beware of players whose production dramatically increases in their contract year.

You're more likely to get the production from those first three seasons, but you'll be paying for the results of the fourth ... trust in the bigger sample size.

12. Don't chase the market, particularly for someone else's player, and don't allow agents to manipulate you.

Set the price you feel is fair, and if that price escalates, walk away.

13. Don't pay a free agent more money than the A-players or B-plus-players on your team.

This has to do with both rewarding loyalty and maintaining a balanced cost structure within your team.

14. Do save your money if you're not yet ready to contend.

Save your money and use it to extend your homegrown players.
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - we'll win some games but it will take years to be good again

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football