Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby riggofan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:14 pm

Reading some reports today that the salary cap may be as high as $135m this year. That's $5m more than was being reported a few weeks ago. (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... 2-million/)

We obviously have a lot of players to re-sign and holes to fill. My question for you is: which position would you like to see the team "go big" on and spend to improve in free agency?

I'm not suggesting any Fat Albert deals. Just where would you like the team to be most aggressive in free agency and why?

|||

Re: Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby HEROHAMO » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:09 pm

I think the offensive line should be high priority. A RT and a guard L/R would help.
On the defense we could use a whole lot of help. MLB, SS , FS and another big defensive lineman hopefully a NT to help out. We have Cofield but I think he would be even more effective with another behemoth next to him or moving Cofield to DE.

I like our corners. Amerson should be fine with Hall on the other side. Saftey really, really needs some help. Doughty is good for depth. Our inside linebackers are terrible. We need help bad at the ILB position.

So yeah once again RT and a guard on Oline. NT, MLB, FS and SS for defense in order of priority. Starting at the front lines will always pay dividends. Then a MLB next Kalil Mack would do very nicely. FS and SS we could bring in a free agent to help.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:08 pm

Defense needs help. Fletcher is gone and Orakpo is one of the top OLB Free Agents this year. We need a lot of help on defense. LB, Safety & Corner. I hear that Josh Wilson may be let go.

Help along the O Line would be nice as well. I may be in the minority here, but I actually think we need Defensive Line help as well. Carriker has a cap number of 6.5M and I am not convinced that we can't do better than Stephen Bowen & Carriker. Jenkins should be back to 100 but we have to get better than Kedric Goldston, Doug Worthington et al.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:52 pm

The Hogster wrote:Defense needs help. Fletcher is gone and Orakpo is one of the top OLB Free Agents this year. We need a lot of help on defense. LB, Safety & Corner. I hear that Josh Wilson may be let go.

Help along the O Line would be nice as well. I may be in the minority here, but I actually think we need Defensive Line help as well. Carriker has a cap number of 6.5M and I am not convinced that we can't do better than Stephen Bowen & Carriker. Jenkins should be back to 100 but we have to get better than Kedric Goldston, Doug Worthington et al.

Our defense is definitely due for an overhaul. I hoping we stick a franchise tag on Orakpo (it's not too late for that yet, is it?) and then focus on LB and safety. One decent vet corner to "replace" Amerson (with Amerson replacing Wilson) should give us a good enough CB corps for next year. Did I mention safety? Safety, safety, safety.

I agree that we should take the opportunity this offseason to shore up our defensive line. Agreed that we should probably part ways with both Bowen and Carriker. I don't mind the quality of our depth so much as the missing 1-2 players who will help make up the rotation.

It's a lot to ask, but we've got the cap room to do it. Our offense doesn't need as many pieces to compete.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:17 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:Our inside linebackers are terrible. We need help bad at the ILB position.

Fletcher is gone, but why do you think Riley is terrible? I couldn't disagree more.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:08 am

HEROHAMO wrote:I think the offensive line should be high priority. A RT and a guard L/R would help.

I don't disagree, but do you think these positions can really be addressed properly in free agency? What player would you spend a lot of money on to help the offensive line? I heard C00ley on the radio the other day, and he was pretty big on Alex Mack.

I've been looking at the top FA list, and I think CB and Safety are the positions where we could get a young, quality guy who would be an immediate upgrade. Safeties just seem like bigger injury risks to me, so I would put some money into trying to land one of the best CBs.

Anyway, we all know the numerous needs the team has. The question is: which ONE position would you spend big money on when FA starts?

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:58 am

The Hogster wrote:Defense needs help. Fletcher is gone and Orakpo is one of the top OLB Free Agents this year. We need a lot of help on defense. LB, Safety & Corner. I hear that Josh Wilson may be let go.

yea we def need d-line help. I think that's a lot of the reason we were so bad at the beginning of the year, cofield had that cast, jenkins still wasn't right. There hasn't been much there from a pass rush perspective since Carriker got hurt, and I don't see him staying healthy
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:41 am

Deadskins wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:Our inside linebackers are terrible. We need help bad at the ILB position.

Fletcher is gone, but why do you think Riley is terrible? I couldn't disagree more.

Yeah I don't get this one either. I'm actually really happy with Riley's play and view the ILB we need to find as his replacement. He, Riley, is Fletcher's replacement, technically.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:28 pm

Noted this comment in this WashPost article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/express/w ... -the-line/
Free agency will largely decide who the Redskins draft. But it’s hard to find starting veteran linemen on the market. In free agency, there are always decent receivers or corners available, but teams rarely let quality linemen depart because there aren’t enough around the league.

piglet

Postby blowwad » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:28 pm

Just saw that the Browns released D'Qwell Jackson over the idea of having to pay a $4 million workout bonus. 141 total tackles last year (75 tackles + 66 assists).

Keep Perry and pick up the veteran help at a decent price to shore up the ilb area maybe??

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:40 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:

Our defense is definitely due for an overhaul. I hoping we stick a franchise tag on Orakpo (it's not too late for that yet, is it?) and then focus on LB and safety. One decent vet corner to "replace" Amerson (with Amerson replacing Wilson) should give us a good enough CB corps for next year. Did I mention safety? Safety, safety, safety.

I agree that we should take the opportunity this offseason to shore up our defensive line. Agreed that we should probably part ways with both Bowen and Carriker. I don't mind the quality of our depth so much as the missing 1-2 players who will help make up the rotation.

It's a lot to ask, but we've got the cap room to do it. Our offense doesn't need as many pieces to compete.

We have until March 3rd to franvchise a player.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:15 am

Go get Aquib Talib!

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:26 am

Deadskins wrote:

You may be right. I might be riding him too hard. But please make a case for him then. Because last year I can find many plays in which he blew it. To be fair he did play well the year before last.

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:28 am

Irn-Bru wrote:

I agree with all except I think Amerson can be a starter. We do need a nickel corner though.

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:17 am

HEROHAMO wrote:I agree with all except I think Amerson can be a starter.

Me too. I think he's our #2 next year, replacing Wilson.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football