Power Run Game? Lichtensteiger to Center?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
B-rad

Re: Power Run Game? Lichtensteiger to Center?

Postby brad7686 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:54 am

You gotta figure a lot of the free agent money will go towards the secondary and linebacker, maybe WR. So I imagine a lot of the discussion going on right now is who they can move around on the O-line, whether they think they can get anything out of LeRibeus. Also, there's a lot of uneasiness about the D-line's ability to stay healthy, and how good they actually are if they were all actually to be healthy at one time. Lotta holes, lotta money, maybe not enough. The RGIII trade is a long term move, so its to be expected.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:49 am

brad7686 wrote:You gotta figure a lot of the free agent money will go towards the secondary and linebacker, maybe WR.

That sounds about right though I won't be surprised to see us take a LB with that second or third round pick. Seems like there may be some decent options in the draft.

I'm hoping we don't look for a WR in free agency. That is always one of the most expensive FA positions.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:01 am

riggofan wrote:I'm hoping we don't look for a WR in free agency. That is always one of the most expensive FA positions.

I don't know. I think that's because WR is one of the biggest crap shoots in the draft. At least you know what you're getting in FA.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:07 am

Deadskins wrote:
riggofan wrote:I'm hoping we don't look for a WR in free agency. That is always one of the most expensive FA positions.

I don't know. I think that's because WR is one of the biggest crap shoots in the draft. At least you know what you're getting in FA.

You mean like Josh Morgan or Brandon Lloyd? hah.

I know what you're saying about WRs in the draft though.

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:26 pm

riggofan wrote:
brad7686 wrote:You gotta figure a lot of the free agent money will go towards the secondary and linebacker, maybe WR.

That sounds about right though I won't be surprised to see us take a LB with that second or third round pick. Seems like there may be some decent options in the draft.

I'm hoping we don't look for a WR in free agency. That is always one of the most expensive FA positions.

yea I'm thinkin a 3rd round ILB is very possible, unless they get like a Brandon Spikes or somebody. At least that way you can feel like you got a couple starters with no first round pick.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:27 pm

brad7686 wrote:
riggofan wrote:

yea I'm thinkin a 3rd round ILB is very possible, unless they get like a Brandon Spikes or somebody. At least that way you can feel like you got a couple starters with no first round pick.

Just reading about the Senior Bowl over the weekend, it sounded like the team was definitely looking at LBs. Chris Borland/Wisconsin and Christian Jones/FSU are two guys I saw mentioned as standouts.

Is LB a position where you might realistically expect a second or third round guy to be able to come in and start as a rookie? Just curious.

Btw I don't know if anybody else watched the Senior Bowl, but man, that was a fun and interesting game to watch. Unlike the Pro Bowl.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:40 pm

riggofan wrote:

The last time the Redskins hit on WR's in the draft was in th 1980's... We have WASTED 3 first rounders and multiple 2nd and 3rd round picks on WR's... with NO joy. Find the major talent via FA... Use the draft on less risky positions.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:52 pm

[cough] Desmond Howard [cough]
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:01 pm

The key for free agency is to go after the guys that give us the best value rather than the best players - we have so many needs and the draft has to be more for the future than the present - bring in the free agents that have the best chance to help the other guys we already have be better with the understanding that we cannot get all the positions of dire need covered with just one draft and one off season's acquisitions

any improvement to the O line will be a huge improvement over last season - we all know we will not have a really good offensive line for a couple of years
Robert Griffin will become a really good QB he's talented and smart

hopefully Kirk Cousins can make things happen till RG3 is ready to play again

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

Postby yupchagee » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:32 pm

jmooney wrote:I'd rather see us pick up Alex Mack in FA , move Montgomery over to guard in Chesters spot and take a stud RT at the top of the 2nd round. Keep Chester and/or Polumbus as back ups if the price is right.

This would give us quality depth across the O-line, the only issue would be, how Montgomery would feel about losing his job?

Then we can look at replacing Lichtensteiger in next years draft.

We would only have to spend money on 1 offensive FA this year so we can maximize money spent on defense. Though Alex Mack will be expensive.

Polumbus is no good as a back up since he can't play LT. He either starts at RT or he is gone. Chester is too expensive to have as a backup.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:30 am

Our team is the Redskins. If any suggestion is made of switching to a power game. I am all for it in fact Ive been saying this already for years. Ill always want road grading guards and beastly lineman. Its who we are and what has gotten us the 3 SuperBowls we have won.

All though I respected Mike Shanny and his zone blocking. I have always preferred smash mouth over finesse. I am crossing my fingers and hoping we can get some upgrades on the Oline.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:32 am

Another thing Alfred Morris is perfect for a power running game. He has a real nasty cutback as well. I am also fine with the change of pace thing as well. Helu seemed to add a spark as well. These days it seems thunder and lightning works well.

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:36 am

Last thing power run game and great defense still works. Just take a look at Seattle. They have an old school built team. Both the Oline and Dline punch you in the mouth. The hammer away with Marshawn and Russel Wilson makes the plays he needs to.

Seattle is built like dynasties of old. Power running game with playaction. They have an added dimension as well with read option to add to the running game. We have a similar offense. Just have to shore up the Oline a bit. Our defense has a long ways to go too.

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:43 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:Last thing power run game and great defense still works. Just take a look at Seattle. They have an old school built team. Both the Oline and Dline punch you in the mouth. The hammer away with Marshawn and Russel Wilson makes the plays he needs to.

Seattle is built like dynasties of old. Power running game with playaction. They have an added dimension as well with read option to add to the running game. We have a similar offense. Just have to shore up the Oline a bit. Our defense has a long ways to go too.

Seattle's offense is bailed out by the #1 defense in the NFL. A defense statistically better than the 2000 Ravens, and as close to the 85 Bears as you can get. Wussell has been putting up 100 yard passing games for a few weeks now, he finally broke 100 during the last game. If you keep him in the pocket, he's garbage. I was so disappointed. Especially hearing about how much of a value he was and how much better he is than RGIII. Watching this kid play made me feel a lot better about Robert. That's for sure. He's talented but he has a lot of the same issue's Robert has and quite frankly when healthy, I think Roberts a better passer. Robert doesn't have darn near the best defense since the 85 Bears to bail him out drive after drive after drive.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:29 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:Last thing power run game and great defense still works. Just take a look at Seattle. They have an old school built team. Both the Oline and Dline punch you in the mouth. The hammer away with Marshawn and Russel Wilson makes the plays he needs to.

Seattle's offense is bailed out by the #1 defense in the NFL. A defense statistically better than the 2000 Ravens, and as close to the 85 Bears as you can get. Wussell has been putting up 100 yard passing games for a few weeks now, he finally broke 100 during the last game. If you keep him in the pocket, he's garbage. I was so disappointed. Especially hearing about how much of a value he was and how much better he is than RGIII. Watching this kid play made me feel a lot better about Robert. That's for sure. He's talented but he has a lot of the same issue's Robert has and quite frankly when healthy, I think Roberts a better passer. Robert doesn't have darn near the best defense since the 85 Bears to bail him out drive after drive after drive.

Have never been impressed with Wilson for these very reasons. Certainly not better than Griffin and Luck. He has without fail benefited from having an amazing defense. The party line that he is better than Robert was started last year by Seattle people and further evidenced in their minds and talking heads' minds this year as a result of Robert's regression/injury and the redskins' record. Heaven help that problem if Seattle actually wins the superbowl.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football