Power Run Game? Lichtensteiger to Center?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
swine

Re: Power Run Game? Lichtensteiger to Center?

Postby RG3peat » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:37 pm

Countertrey wrote:
RG3peat wrote:Ever hear the saying "why fix something that isnt broken" The run game is great, why mess with it? Maybe a guy or 2 isnt as good in pass protect so you try and upgrade those. Personally I think there was more to it....the offensive formations were crap with TEs and sometimes WRs in the backfield :roll: it didnt offer RG3 many options in the pass game. He held onto the ball too long, he wouldnt run to pick up easy 1st downs (there were quite a few short gainers and space to do so). RG3 used his one and only scapegoat card and got Shanny fired...He didnt want to run so he took a pounding in the pocket and threw people under the bus and pointed fingers.....The FO might have gotten dupped again. Should once again be interesting at Redskin Park this offseason. I hope they keep the run game as is....just like switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3, it takesa good 2 years to get players/chemistry down.

They can't pass protect. Period. That's a huge problem. 3 of 5 o-linemen are marginal for depth. One is an adequate starter. One is blue-chip.

3 need to be replaced immediately. If that means converting from a finesse run game, to a power run game, so be it. Alf can do either, with equal effectiveness.

Shanahan got Shanahan fired. Get over it.

... and, while you are throwing Bob under the bus, you might want to consider a new user name. I love irony... [-X

Sure....whatever.....Morris I believe came from zone blocking in college, not saying he cant run with different line/scheme....but the OL themselves have to have chemistry...What good is Morris if the holes aint there?? Hes not shifty IMO to change directions quickly to get to a different hole...Shanny didnt get himself fired and I am over it...I think he got the shaft...1st 2 year with Rex?? You aint winnin with that. Then playoffs with RG3 in year 1 and down the tubes this last year cause they had 1/2 the playbook...RG3 could/did not get any reps with his drops/timing for a "normal" offense and no run on the option (at least not like last year...as expected)....I should change user name as he wont be that good. I thought that he was ALL THAT and a bag of chips...but I think hes a little more egotistical then advertised....then has a meadling daddy....

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:02 pm

Sure... whatever... John Riggins wasn't shifty... and was less capable of carrying tacklers than Alf is. Alf has excellent vision... he doesn't need much of a hole... and Bob needs a little more time than he has been getting in the pocket.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

swine

Postby RG3peat » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:09 pm

Countertrey wrote:Sure... whatever... John Riggins wasn't shifty... and was less capable of carrying tacklers than Alf is. Alf has excellent vision... he doesn't need much of a hole... and Bob needs a little more time than he has been getting in the pocket.

I gues we will see if they change schemes....Y do say Riggins was less capable of carrying tacklers? Maybe, Riggo ran them over before they climbed on his back. Fred has excellent vision. Maybe, as the zone blocking is pretty much a ONE cut system, especially the stretch play when you get the whole defense to flow, get a cut on a DL and get through the 1 and only hole that opens up.....BOB needs to use his God given talent and take off when the pocket breaks down....Im not saying Im a Cousins guy but I wonder if BOB isnt all that....I hope he proves me wrong.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:38 pm

RG3peat wrote:
Y do say Riggins was less capable of carrying tacklers? Maybe, Riggo ran them over before they climbed on his back.

Yes... exactly... He had a higher center of gravity than Alf... so, once slowed down, he would go down. My point is, Alf is perfectly capable of being a dominant runner in a power run game... In fact, his one cut, excellent balance skills and great vision are perfect for it.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:30 pm

I don't know. If my memory is serving me correctly I would say.... Riggo was a track star. He had speed even though he looked slow. He usually got a few yards even after getting hit early. Once he broke the line he could drag 2 or 3 people with him even past the time he should have gone down. Sometimes he would keep running with more on him. Maybe I am remembering things wrong but I grew up watching the diesel constantly dragging people for extra yards long after the hit. I love Morris and all but Riggo is and always will be the best of the best as far as Redskins running backs and that is saying something. Larry Brown was awesome and that is who Morris reminds me of. Two different styles here although they both do not go down easy.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:55 am

Riggo was fueled by bourbon.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:23 pm

riggofan wrote:Riggo was fueled by bourbon.

Well he was an American. That's Americas alcohol.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

swine

Postby RG3peat » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:08 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:I don't know. If my memory is serving me correctly I would say.... Riggo was a track star. He had speed even though he looked slow. He usually got a few yards even after getting hit early. Once he broke the line he could drag 2 or 3 people with him even past the time he should have gone down. Sometimes he would keep running with more on him. Maybe I am remembering things wrong but I grew up watching the diesel constantly dragging people for extra yards long after the hit. I love Morris and all but Riggo is and always will be the best of the best as far as Redskins running backs and that is saying something. Larry Brown was awesome and that is who Morris reminds me of. Two different styles here although they both do not go down easy.

Exactly....Im not sold Morris has great vision...The staple of the zone is the stretch and all you have to do is look for the opening in front of you, you wait for the hole to open up, hit it and your already at the 2nd level and the LBs hopefully have been engaged or scraped on...you get a lot of arm tackles that he breaks easily, we shall see, if he can see a gap 2 holes down from the design and get there....Just keep the same scheme, its not broken.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:24 pm

emoses14 wrote:
riggofan wrote:Riggo was fueled by bourbon.

Well he was an American. That's Americas alcohol.

Its an underrated and lost art type of training regimen.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:14 pm

we will have a really good run game - call it what you will ... :lol:

I doubt that we presently have many of our 2014 offensive linemen on the roster
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:28 pm

SkinsJock wrote:we will have a really good run game - call it what you will ... :lol:

You think? I'm not so sure about that yet. I kind of hope you're right and Gruden has a plan to upgrade the offensive line. Just not sure its going to be able to be one big housecleaning like you seem to be suggesting.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:43 pm

riggofan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:we will have a really good run game - call it what you will ... :lol:

You think? I'm not so sure about that yet. I kind of hope you're right and Gruden has a plan to upgrade the offensive line. Just not sure its going to be able to be one big housecleaning like you seem to be suggesting.
I don't see how they can... we need to upgrade at least 3... AND get some depth...
Not happening in one season.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:06 pm

riggofan wrote:

You think? I'm not so sure about that yet. I kind of hope you're right and Gruden has a plan to upgrade the offensive line.
Just not sure its going to be able to be one big housecleaning like you seem to be suggesting.

Realistically no, I'm not suggesting that - we have a lot of roster changes to make - even if we make great additions in the draft and free agency it will still take 2 seasons

the major areas are the O line and the secondary - we also need quality depth, but who doesn't?
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

Hog

Postby jmooney » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:19 am

I'd rather see us pick up Alex Mack in FA , move Montgomery over to guard in Chesters spot and take a stud RT at the top of the 2nd round. Keep Chester and/or Polumbus as back ups if the price is right.

This would give us quality depth across the O-line, the only issue would be, how Montgomery would feel about losing his job?

Then we can look at replacing Lichtensteiger in next years draft.

We would only have to spend money on 1 offensive FA this year so we can maximize money spent on defense. Though Alex Mack will be expensive.

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:14 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
riggofan wrote:
yupchagee wrote:I don't think we keep Polumbus as a backup. It's starting RT or gone. He can't play LT at all

It would be a surprising move. I think the main reason it was suggested is because of his cap number.

I've kind of assumed all year that Polumbus would one of the obvious offensive line guys to try to replace/upgrade. Am I wrong about that?

Any chance he could become a big right guard?

I think his natural position is chocolate fire guard.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football