The Next Hierarchy

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
DarthMonk

The Next Hierarchy

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:11 am

Seems like most people think Shanny is gone after this season. Many have posted something like "What good coach would want to work here?" Forgetting about money, here's what I think we need to do.

Change BA's job title to something like VP in charge of PR.

Hire a highly respected GM (Polian, Ozzie?).

That GM needs to be able to call prospective coaches and say "Dan Snyder has given me the authority to hire a head coach who I, in turn, will give the authority to assemble a staff and coach the Redskins. I will handle the draft, FA, and contracts and will determine the initial roster each year. The coach I hire will be in charge of assembling the final roster and coaching it."

I think the vast majority of teams operate in essentially this way and we need to be one of them.

My 2 cents
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Re: The Next Hierarchy

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:31 am

I do think (and now hope) that Mike is out of here at the end of this season

I hope Bruce will stay and do something similar to what he's doing now … he is mainly responsible for us being in the best financial shape we've been in for over 20 years

we do need to hire a GM that can work with Bruce and Dan in finding and hiring a HC that can continue what has been started here

we have a good FO and a good plan for the future with some good players to build around PLUS we have a future great QB

we are not is as bad a shape as many think and Dan Snyder should take this opportunity to show that he will continue to let football people do their thing here

this will go a long way to dispelling a lot of the fabricated story lines that are happening right now and will continue if Dan does not make it clear that he's staying away

btw - Bruce Allen is NOT a PR guy or 'yes man'
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - unfortunately with Dan Snyder, it is what it is

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:41 am

SkinsJock wrote:btw - Bruce Allen is NOT a PR guy or 'yes man'

Not a 'yes man' maybe but ...

What Does Bruce Allen Do?
Posted by Dave McKenna on Nov. 23, 2011 at 8:32 am

Bruce Allen was ostensibly hired to be the general manager of the Washington Redskins.

But since taking over the back of the shop late in the 2009 season, Allen has never gotten any credit for doing basic general managerial tasks, the basicest being putting together a team's roster.

Instead, he's been seen doing PR tasks, like glad-handing at Redskins oldies conventions, or marketing stuff, such as hosting beer and cheese parties for the team's ticket-selling operation.

Allen continued redefining the general manager's job yesterday. He put on his community relations hat and worked at the Redskins annual Thanksgiving giveaway at FedExField.

He seemed fine not being a real GM. When he was asked by the Washington Post about the mindset of head coach Mike Shanahan, Allen distanced himself from the talentless, hopeless people pile that now wears the burgundy and gold on Sundays.

“He had a great team meeting yesterday with his players," Allen told the Post while handing out bags of holiday foods.

"His" players, Mr. GM?

Oh, OK: So Allen's job description includes giving away turkeys.

But bringing turkeys in? Nah.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:50 am

Dave McKenna wrote:Allen distanced himself from the talentless, hopeless people pile that now wears the burgundy and gold on Sundays.

Can't say that I agree. We've definitely got some good, young talent. This guy sounds like a hater to me.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:11 am

Deadskins wrote:
Dave McKenna wrote:Allen distanced himself from the talentless, hopeless people pile that now wears the burgundy and gold on Sundays.

Can't say that I agree. We've definitely got some good, young talent. This guy sounds like a hater to me.

This was over 2 years ago. We were 3-7 and on a 6 game losing streak. You still might not agree but the fact reamins ... Bruce Allen has been more PR man than he has been roster former during his tenure with Shanny.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby oneman56 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:48 am

DarthMonk wrote:Seems like most people think Shanny is gone after this season. Many have posted something like "What good coach would want to work here?" Forgetting about money, here's what I think we need to do.

Change BA's job title to something like VP in charge of PR.

Hire a highly respected GM (Polian, Ozzie?).

That GM needs to be able to call prospective coaches and say "Dan Snyder has given me the authority to hire a head coach who I, in turn, will give the authority to assemble a staff and coach the Redskins. I will handle the draft, FA, and contracts and will determine the initial roster each year. The coach I hire will be in charge of assembling the final roster and coaching it."

I think the vast majority of teams operate in essentially this way and we need to be one of them.

My 2 cents

I completely agree, Let BA do his PR/Contracts job and get a quality personnel GM guy in here to run this thing who can then pick his coach. If Shanahan leaves, which it looks like he will, and this does not happen I fear we'll revert to some odd functioning upper management structure that will produce the same results we've seen already. I'm really hoping for a quality GM.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:20 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

This was over 2 years ago. We were 3-7 and on a 6 game losing streak. You still might not agree but the fact reamins ... Bruce Allen has been more PR man than he has been roster former during his tenure with Shanny.

Well then, it makes more sense. I've always contended BA was not a personnel GM. But McKenna still sounds like a hater. If it was two years ago, BA had only been with the team for 2 drafts. Hard to fault him for the sorry state of the franchise.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:46 pm

we shall see …. and soon :D

there are a lot of media and fans that will grab at any little thing and try to make it suit their agenda …

this franchise is in a lot better shape than the 3-10 record indicates and many are not looking very hard for good things to write about here

there are a lot of 'haters' around a 3-10 franchise …. and even some here …. :D

Bruce Allen has helped this franchise a lot more than most give him credit for … I don't think that Mike suggested Bruce as GM to Dan because he felt he would be a good evaluator - he is a numbers man - hopefully he can continue to help make this franchise better

we have many new guys here that Bruce and Mike have added that have helped add the good young players we now have

it takes a team
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - unfortunately with Dan Snyder, it is what it is

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:22 pm

SkinsJock wrote:we shall see …. and soon :D

there are a lot of media and fans that will grab at any little thing and try to make it suit their agenda …

this franchise is in a lot better shape than the 3-10 record indicates and many are not looking very hard for good things to write about here

there are a lot of 'haters' around a 3-10 franchise …. and even some here …. :D

Bruce Allen has helped this franchise a lot more than most give him credit for … I don't think that Mike suggested Bruce as GM to Dan because he felt he would be a good evaluator - he is a numbers man - hopefully he can continue to help make this franchise better

we have many new guys here that Bruce and Mike have added that have helped add the good young players we now have

it takes a team

This is all fine but ...

Do you think Shanny is here next September? If not, how do you think we should proceed?

And Deadman, no intent to blame anything on BA. On the contrary, he's more a PR guy and I want a personnel guy.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:02 pm

DM - part of me says Mike is NOT here another month - that's good in a way - I don't think he's a great HC - good but not great

HOWEVER - change brings uncertainty … another year with Mike and this FO is not really a bad thing - the devil you know ….

we ARE close and have many good things going here - maybe the change in HC and the coaching staff will not be too bad

AND - MAYBE we're "a year away" anyway - just like it always is here!

Bruce Allen has done a good job with the financial side of things here and am not sure we could find a better 'money man'

PLUS - A.J. Smith is here - MAYBE he can help Snyder find a GM

the shortest route to a consistently competitive product is to stay the course - Mike needs to get more from what he's got here

that's my position from the fence I'm sitting on :)

Return to General Manager's Office