KUBIAK

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
G4L

KUBIAK

Postby Gibbs4Life » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:20 pm

Bring KUBIAK in now as Offensive Asst.Head Coach.
He will help get our offense performing as it should, he has played in this offense as a QB and is uniquely qualified to tutor Robert. He's worked with Kyle and he is a world champion asst. under Mike
HAIL

Hog

Re: KUBIAK

Postby Kilmer72 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:29 pm

How is Kyle the problem?

G4L

Postby Gibbs4Life » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:42 pm

Kyle is not the problem, our offensive personnel specifically WR and OL are deficient. However this coaching staff led by Mike have underachieved this season, Gary has intricate knowledge of and a great understanding of our scheme and also has his own wrinkles, at the end if the day the next two yrs are about the growth of griffin and KUBIAK could assist that process
HAIL

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:10 pm

Gibbs4Life wrote:Kyle is not the problem, our offensive personnel specifically WR and OL are deficient. However this coaching staff led by Mike have underachieved this season, Gary has intricate knowledge of and a great understanding of our scheme and also has his own wrinkles, at the end if the day the next two yrs are about the growth of griffin and KUBIAK could assist that process

you really need to look at this http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats/team ... _3:col_1=6

I understand that the offense has not looked very good but it is certainly not 'bad' according to these stats
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:10 pm

I don't know. If Kyle is doing the job I think he is, and he has implicated the offense with dads help, why would we make a change there instead of in the areas that are suffering much more?
I undestand that there might be some better to help RG but still. At that point you have to fire Mike if you make that choice. He will never go along with that.

G4L

Postby Gibbs4Life » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:15 pm

If KUBIAK joins our staff it makes us better, it gives our young quarterback the resource of a coach who played nfl football in this offense. I need to see that we're 7th in offense?our #'s are skewed thanks to a lot of garbage time ball. We have a below average o line and WR corp. only stat I need to see is 3-9. Go get Gary
HAIL

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:24 pm

Well seeing as how Haslett and ST coach are under scrutiny, that would make all Mikes helpers gone. I just cant see all of this happening. Who knows?

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:34 am

Gibbs4Life wrote:If KUBIAK I need to see that we're 7th in offense?our #'s are skewed thanks to a lot of garbage time ball. We have a below average o line and WR corp. only stat I need to see is 3-9.

Shhh...you're not allowed to use facts that distort our offensive numbers this year.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:37 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:
Gibbs4Life wrote:I need to see that we're 7th in offense? our #'s are skewed thanks to a lot of garbage time ball.
We have a below average o line and WR corp. only stat I need to see is 3-9.

Shhh … you're not allowed to use facts that distort our offensive numbers this year.

you both have obviously not looked at the 'facts & stats' that dictate otherwise - or you refuse to :twisted:
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:12 am

SkinsJock wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:
Gibbs4Life wrote:I need to see that we're 7th in offense? our #'s are skewed thanks to a lot of garbage time ball.
We have a below average o line and WR corp. only stat I need to see is 3-9.

Shhh … you're not allowed to use facts that distort our offensive numbers this year.

you both have obviously not looked at the 'facts & stats' that dictate otherwise - or you refuse to :twisted:

Who cares about yards? In the end, the offense is ranked 19th in points scored per game. That's ranked below such offensive juggernauts as Arizona, St. Louis (with Kellen Clemons as the all-star QB), and Minnesota (with their revolving door of mediocre QBs). Is that good enough?

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:25 am

I know you're being snarky, but Arizona is in realistic playoff contention with Larry Fitzgerald catching balls.

I think they could probably bring Kubiak in without demoting Kyle. They'd call him like an asst. head coach or something.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:32 am

The only thing that 'counts' is that the Redskins are not playing well - some think that will change by firing all the coaches - I DON'T

the point about the offense was only that the OC has not done as bad a job as some were claiming

I don't like Mike or Kyle but the Redskins will be better off with them here next season - firing coaches who have not done a bad job is a bad thing

those that think the Redskins coaching staff is primarily responsible for the 3-9 record, don't have a clue

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:15 am

riggofan wrote:I know you're being snarky, but Arizona is in realistic playoff contention with Larry Fitzgerald catching balls.

Yeah I was being snarky, but I'd say the real reason why Arizona is in playoff contention is their 7th ranked defense (8th in points). Fitz is 33rd in both catches and receiving yards. He's not having a good year.

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:13 pm

First... I haven't been here in a while and after a quick review of some recent threads, I'm stunned by all the finger pointing going on around here. Actually, after thinking about it for a second, I'm not really all that stunned at all. Fairly typical for a few from what I remember.

Anyway, kinda funny to see Kubiak's name as a potential replacement for Kyle Shanahan. It was Kubiak who promoted Kyle from QB coach to offensive coordinator with the Texans because of Kubiak and the entire organization being so impressed with Kyle's concepts, innovative schemes and play-calling. Just a few years ago, Kyle orchestrated the #1 passing offense and the #4 offense overall with the Texans. Players with the Texans routinely spoke publicly about their respect for Kyle as an innovator of offense. There's even been some recent rumblings about Kyle being an "intriguing HC hire by the Texans" to replace Kubiak.

In my personal opinion, I don't believe Kyle is the problem. The #1 rushing attack and the #7 offense overall is not bad considering the adversities the team has been dealing with... such as the major cap penalties which, for one, prohibited upgrading the o-line, and a QB entering only his 2nd season trying to return from a major knee injury/surgery which prohibited offseason work.

I'm not a big fan of the "poor play-calling" argument as a sole criticism in it of itself. There's not a single fan, of any team, in any sport, who doesn't complain about play-calling from time-to-time. It's a complex and diverse chess match between coordinators, and even assuming the players will execute plays perfectly on every down, the notion that the play-calling on every series will result in success, all of the time, is unrealistic. I believe the expectation should be that the results of the play-calling should be effective the 'majority' of the time. Given the current offensive stats, it's effective the majority of the time. (1st in rushing and 7th overall this year and 1st in rushing and 5th overall last year. The offense is doing pretty well. Mike also deserves some of the credit as well. His offensive schemes and concepts work well in this league. In addition to what he and Kyle have done with our offense over that past 2 years, Mike produced a top 5 offense for 9 of 14 years in Denver.)

I think it can be difficult at times for us fans to discern the difference between poor play-calling vs. poor concept design vs. poor execution by the players. Upon subsequent film review, the players and coaches will know because they're the ones with the script. And since we obviously won't be able to examine that script, I therefore believe the most credible analysis of this issue comes from the players themselves... or... perhaps a former player with actual insight. Here's what Chris Cooley thinks...

Cooley weighs in on both Shanahans

December, 7, 2013
Dec 7
1:00 PM ET
By John Keim | ESPN.com

ASHBURN, Va. -- When Chris Cooley was a rookie, it was clear to him -- and anyone else with eyes and ears for that matter -- that two players did not want to be in Washington. Laveraneus Coles and Rod Gardner complained quite a bit about then-coach Joe Gibbs. It was not a healthy situation.

“They hated what Gibbs did,” Cooley said. “It was hard as a young player to have them complain every day. As a young player I look at vets saying, ‘this isn’t right.’ It was right, it just had to be guys that bought in.”

And that led him to the Redskins’ current state and the decision that ultimately must be made.

“If you have big players or players you consider leaders who say, ‘Yeah bring Mike back,’ and young guys who buy in then that’s all you need,” Cooley said.

Cooley had a lot to say about his current job in this Friday Conversation. He also had something to add about two coaches in particular -- Mike and Kyle Shanahan. He considers Mike Shanahan a friend; he’s high on Kyle Shanahan as a coordinator. Real high.

I’ll let Cooley’s words carry the day, so here’s his take on what should go into the decision to retain Mike Shanahan.

“It’s fully his relationship with the owner [Dan Snyder] and the direction the owner thinks it’s going, combined with Bruce [Allen]. They know him better than anyone. Mike has a personal relationship with people and a professional relationship. If he has a personal enough relationship with those guys and they understand who he is and what’s going on, then he stays. I love the idea of continuity and I also want continuity among people who want it to grow. If Mike can show the owner that these players do buy in and like the scheme, then bring him back. I’m interested how far it should go. When I was first here Dan would talk to players about what they think. I know he hasn’t done that in a few years. It might be the year to bring in guys like Pierre Garcon or Logan Paulsen and asks them, ‘Tell me what you think about this situation. I want to make the right choice.’

“There’s an atmosphere that can breed success or one that you don’t want to play in…. We’re not far away from winning a Super Bowl. That’s hard for anyone to believe, but that’s the truth. It could be a couple offseason moves and something meshes and you win 12 games. Look at the Chiefs and Panthers. If you think the continuity is there and good and the owner understands what’s [happened], then you bring him back. If you don’t believe in that, it’s not what the media thinks and it’s not about Dan’s image and it’s not about anything with Robert… It’s his believe they are moving the right way.”

And now here’s what he had to say about Kyle Shanahan as a play caller and coordinator.

“As a coordinator, this is the only offense I ever had that truly made sense. I don’t know, man. I think the play calling has been fantastic and the players haven’t executed those plays. It’s not all the time on the players, but I’ve seen play-action and Robert made overthrows. How is the call bad if the play isn’t executed? He does a good job giving confidence to players. I was always 100 percent bought in. I trusted Kyle and I like what he did. I don’t think he grab-bags. I think he gets fascinated with the idea that he is manipulating the defense to get coverages he wants when maybe he isn’t. … It’s hard for a coordinator to just do what works over and over again. I never coordinated and don’t know how hard that would be, but they spend a lot of time drawing up plays and getting to a defense and they want to get to them and I don’t know that you have to. When Gibbs was here we weren’t prolific, so maybe I’m wrong but he had no problem with having just 20 plays in a playbook and just having different ways to get to them. I thought we were pretty physical and pretty good but I do buy into Kyle and I like what he does. I think it’s killing him that Mike’s here because of how he gets portrayed in our media. I think he’s a heck of a coordinator… Kyle is doing an unbelievable job helping Robert grow and getting plays he can execute. Guys believe in Kyle. The players believe in Kyle offensively. I know that. And that’s important. The other thing I know is guys like [Jim Haslett]. There’s never been any rumblings from guys like, ‘[Screw] Haz.’ They like our coordinators.”

Although I don't agree, I do, however, give Gibbs4Life a lot of credit for at least offering a name of a potential replacement for a coach he thinks should be fired along with an explanation of why he thinks this replacement could potentially be a fit. I tend to have little patience for those who routinely advocate firing a coach without ever offering a suggestion of a replacement and further elaborating what the said replacement would offer superior to what we already have.

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:27 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
Gibbs4Life wrote:Kyle is not the problem, our offensive personnel specifically WR and OL are deficient. However this coaching staff led by Mike have underachieved this season, Gary has intricate knowledge of and a great understanding of our scheme and also has his own wrinkles, at the end if the day the next two yrs are about the growth of griffin and KUBIAK could assist that process

you really need to look at this http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats/team ... _3:col_1=6

I understand that the offense has not looked very good but it is certainly not 'bad' according to these stats

It sure is when you click the "PTS/G" column..........

Then again, I am against bringing in Kubiak at this point. Lets just finish out the season as is.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Return to General Manager's Office