Chargers @ Redskins - Game Day Thread

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Chargers @ Redskins - Game Day Thread

Postby emoses14 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:04 am

riggofan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:Love the win …

I know it's not happening but players like our great QB, Morris, Garcon and Reed deserve a better play caller than Kyle …

good grief. All week long people were griping about Kyle getting away from the run vs. Denver. So he runs the ball down the Chargers' throat and its still not good enough.

Let's just be honest, Skins fans. What you want is an offensive coordinator who calls the play that always works.

Is that really so much to ask? I mean EVERY OTHER TEAM IN THE LEAGUE has coordinators that call plays which always work to perfection.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:14 am

emoses14 wrote:
Is that really so much to ask? I mean EVERY OTHER TEAM IN THE LEAGUE has coordinators that call plays which always work to perfection.

=D>

I blame (lack of) execution WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more than play calling for some of our offensive woes. We can't simply run every play. Our balance yesterday was 40 runs vs. 32 passes. That's terrific. Part of the point of running is setting up pass plays. Also, getting first downs helps time of possession and sometimes, the best way to get a first down is to pass. Our first play yesterday was a pass from our own 1 which was wide open and Griff threw it behind Garcon. Excellent play call and bad execution.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:23 am

I've heard that you can set up the pass by running the ball …

I've also heard that you can set up the run by passing the ball …

I've heard that having a good defense is the key to winning games …

I've heard that having a prolific passing attack like Denver and New England is the key to winning games …

seems like everybody's got a good handle on what it takes and fortunately we have guys that know all of that in charge of our team :twisted:
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:29 am

DarthMonk wrote:
emoses14 wrote:

=D>

I blame (lack of) execution WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more than play calling for some of our offensive woes. We can't simply run every play. Our balance yesterday was 40 runs vs. 32 passes. That's terrific. Part of the point of running is setting up pass plays. Also, getting first downs helps time of possession and sometimes, the best way to get a first down is to pass. Our first play yesterday was a pass from our own 1 which was wide open and Griff threw it behind Garcon. Excellent play call and bad execution.

+1

Kyle isn't out there throwing and catching the ball. I thought he called a good game yesterday, except maybe 2 or 3 plays.

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:34 am

As much as it pains me to admit, Kyle called a heck of a game yesterday. Now with that being said, I don't know about you all but Tyler Polumbus and Chris Chester are the worst lineman I have seen. Did you see that one play where that dude pushed Polumbis back like a rag doll? For him to be so big, he seems weak as wet toilet paper and that Chris Chester, I thought one of the holding calls was a phantom call but the other one why even hold when you don't need too? Cory I thought overall had his best blocking game to date. Williams is still a stud. Reed also needs to block better and I wish I would have been able to see Fred Davis and Reed together on the field at the same time, I think that would provide serious matchup problems. Garcon also played his best game as a Redskin yesterday that man got mad props!!! Now I hope this game is the wake up game and we go on a roll. Losing to the Vikings would be a serious let down........

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:59 am

hopefully, from here on, Kyle will do his job as well as the players are doing theirs :lol:

I'm not saying that the offensive issues are all on Kyle … IMHO, he just needs to do a better job :roll:

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:46 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
emoses14 wrote:

=D>

I don't have any problem with using the run to set up the pass... I don't have any problem with starting a drive with a deep shot. I have a problem with simply forgetting that you have one of the most dominant running games in the league... with getting cute on 3rd down, when an off tackle run will get you the one yard you need. With running pass plays that take forever to develop when you have an o-line that struggles to pass protect...

"Just run the damned ball"... doesn't mean "just run". It means, "don't let your love for flash let you forget what works" Kyle. Sundays game was pretty well called... though I was concerned that Kyle was focusing a bit too much on the interior run game for a while... and he did get cute a couple of times... but he didn't get away from what works. That yielded a dominant TOP... and that wins games.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:10 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:
emoses14 wrote:

=D>

+1

Kyle isn't out there throwing and catching the ball. I thought he called a good game yesterday, except maybe 2 or 3 plays.

Me too. I'll admit though sometimes the bad plays he calls so seem glaringly bad.

Speaking of, is Kyle calling that QB draw play for RGIII or is RGIII just picking it out himself at times? I swear RGIII up the middle hasn't worked all season and they keep running it. All it does is get RGIII hit by the biggest players on the field.

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:33 pm

SkinsJock wrote:IMO - Kyle needs to do a better job utilizing the talent he has - RG3 and this offense have not had a lot of success this season
most of that is due to Kyle not taking advantage of the fact he has a great QB, a really good RB, a really good TE and a number of good WRs
granted the O line has not been stellar but Kyle needs to game plan better with what he has

I don't know if I agree about the bolded part there. I'm a huge fan of RG3, but I can't call him a great QB at this time point. Whether it's because he missed the entire offseason, or what have you, but I haven't seen that growth in him that I've expected. At this point, he's a one-read QB, and that isn't great QB play. He's markedly behind Luck and Wilson in his development. I'm hoping it's just the missed offseason, but I'm beginning to become a bit concerned in this department. If he doesn't learn to read defenses, and operate a real NFL dropback passing attack, he really will end up as just another running QB. I think he has the potential to take the next step, but throws like the blocked pass/returned INT-TD to Hankerson, really concern me. Dude was locked into Hank the entire time. He's making the defenses' life way too easy.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:25 pm

correction - RG3 is not a 'great' QB … yet - he's still in the process of becoming one :lol:

I have every confidence that RG3 will become the greatest QB to wear B&G

this is a very special athlete with an incredible desire to do whatever it takes

PLUS

he's very coachable - hopefully Kyle finds this out sooner rather than later

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:38 pm

I know a lot of people loved Griffin running for that first down in the 3rd quarter, but it definitely scared the hell out of me when he took off and didn't try to get out of bounds. He will not last all season if he continues to do that.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:59 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:I know a lot of people loved Griffin running for that first down in the 3rd quarter, but it definitely scared the hell out of me when he took off and didn't try to get out of bounds. He will not last all season if he continues to do that.

I don't know. That was a situation where he actually needed to get that first down; the game depended on it. I'm ok with him occasionally taking a hit when the situation calls for it.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby SKINS#1 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:28 pm

PulpExposure wrote "I don't know if I agree about the bolded part there. I'm a huge fan of RG3, but I can't call him a great QB at this time point. Whether it's because he missed the entire offseason, or what have you, but I haven't seen that growth in him that I've expected. At this point, he's a one-read QB, and that isn't great QB play. He's markedly behind Luck and Wilson in his development. I'm hoping it's just the missed offseason, but I'm beginning to become a bit concerned in this department. If he doesn't learn to read defenses, and operate a real NFL dropback passing attack, he really will end up as just another running QB. I think he has the potential to take the next step, but throws like the blocked pass/returned INT-TD to Hankerson, really concern me. Dude was locked into Hank the entire time. He's making the defenses' life way too easy."

This is a very good synopsis, we all want RGIII to be a great QB but he is not there yet. Luck and Wilson seem to have made the transition and RGIII is a work in progress.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:42 pm

Let's be VERY clear - RG3 is NOT a great QB …. yet …. OK?

I happen to think that he's going to be :lol:

OK - that's straight …

now let's REALLY look at an offense that has:

RG3 at QB - this is an amazing talent with incredible drive and world class speed - I refuse to believe he does not have that anymore - no way

Morris at RB - amazing RB that gets yards even when the D knows he's running the ball

Garcon at WR - there have been only a few Redskins WR that can make plays like this guy

Reed at TE - this kid looks like he's going to become one of the best TEs we've had

now let's add in Santana, Hankerson, Robinson, Morgan and Davis - are you kidding me …

what about an all pro LT in Trent Williams and our AMAZING FB - he of the 3 TDs last Sunday ….. =D>

I'm just curious - am I the only one that wonders why this talent is NOT being utilized to it's max potential?

I'll bet there are not many offenses in the NFC that have that many INCREDIBLY good playmakers …. :D

c'mon Kyle - pick it up - you have the 'talent' - take advantage of it ….. please

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:27 am

No one is saying Griffin isn't fast or isn't an incredible athlete. He still lacks certain fundamentals in terms of reading opposing defenses and locking in to one receiver. Don't be surprised if the Vikings adjust and start double covering Reed and Garcon, seems to be the only two receivers he throws to.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football