Merriweather Deserves A Suspension

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ
Posts: 13223
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:29 pm

Countertrey wrote:
riggofan wrote:I don't really understand what people believe makes him a "dirty" player. He's a safety who likes to hit. How is that different from Laron Landry? Or Sean Taylor?

The leading with the helmet thing just means he has bad technique at this point. That wasn't even a rule three years ago.

There's a whole group of safeties out there who have been getting fined and suspended for this stuff. I don't really buy that they're all "dirty". They're being told they have to change the way they have played their entire lives. And they're going to keep getting fined and giving up penalties until they do.

I guess you could make the argument that its "dumb" to continue to play that way. Not being in his shoes myself though, I don't really know how easy it is to make a decision in the space of two or three seconds to change the way you're tackling.


You don't make that "decision in the space of two or three seconds"... you SHOULD practice like you play... that is when you make the decision... and, I will GUARANTEE you... he does NOT tackle like that in practice.


+1

It seems very likely that Merriwether is going to continue playing in a way that he feels is not an issue and he is obviously going to be 'watched' very carefully by the refs

if he is going to continue to play like that I hope he's not in B&G
We are very fortunate to have Kirk Cousins but Griffin has a huge upside IMO

Robert needs to continue to get better and to do that he needs time on the field - hopefully sooner than later

HAIL


Week 2 - 17-15

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 760
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:46 pm

Countertrey wrote:
riggofan wrote:I don't really understand what people believe makes him a "dirty" player. He's a safety who likes to hit. How is that different from Laron Landry? Or Sean Taylor?

The leading with the helmet thing just means he has bad technique at this point. That wasn't even a rule three years ago.

There's a whole group of safeties out there who have been getting fined and suspended for this stuff. I don't really buy that they're all "dirty". They're being told they have to change the way they have played their entire lives. And they're going to keep getting fined and giving up penalties until they do.

I guess you could make the argument that its "dumb" to continue to play that way. Not being in his shoes myself though, I don't really know how easy it is to make a decision in the space of two or three seconds to change the way you're tackling.


You don't make that "decision in the space of two or three seconds"... you SHOULD practice like you play... that is when you make the decision... and, I will GUARANTEE you... he does NOT tackle like that in practice.


^^THIS

#14
Posts: 4294
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:50 pm
Location: Louisville KY

Postby yupchagee » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:46 pm

2 points:
It isn't 2-3 seconds, it's less than 1.
If Merriweather deserves a suspension,why is Suh still in the league?
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

**LPJ**
Posts: 6377
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:49 am

yupchagee wrote:2 points:
It isn't 2-3 seconds, it's less than 1.
If Merriweather deserves a suspension,why is Suh still in the league?


The Suh thing was next for me to "tackle". lol

:-k I wonder if Lions' fans were happy when he was suspended

Preciate your response ACW.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

08 Champ
Posts: 13223
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:35 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:
yupchagee wrote:2 points:
It isn't 2-3 seconds, it's less than 1.
If Merriweather deserves a suspension, why is Suh still in the league?


The Suh thing was next for me to "tackle". lol

I wonder if Lions' fans were happy when he was suspended


no real fan would be 'happy' about a player on their team being suspended ...

IMO the refs see film and are more likely to throw flags at players that have shown a propensity to play in a way that could be dangerous - Suh and Merriwether would be high on that list

if an O linemen gets a reputation for being really bad at holding defensive players, he probably gets a little more scrutiny - the same holds true in reverse and players like Orakpo and Kerrigan are likely to draw flags because the refs have seen the film of O linemen holding them

Merriwether needs to get it together - hard hits are not an issue - he is pushing the limit and will more likely draw a flag because of that
We are very fortunate to have Kirk Cousins but Griffin has a huge upside IMO

Robert needs to continue to get better and to do that he needs time on the field - hopefully sooner than later

HAIL


Week 2 - 17-15

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4602
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Postby riggofan » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:26 am

ACW wrote:
riggofan wrote:I don't really understand what people believe makes him a "dirty" player. He's a safety who likes to hit. How is that different from Laron Landry? Or Sean Taylor?
Like it or not, the rules have changed. And if you look at two of Sean's hits (the one on Moorman and the block against the Lions) he led with this shoulder.
[/quote]

I'm not debating the rules at all. They are what they are. My question was why people are so adamant that he is a "dirty" player.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4602
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Postby riggofan » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:32 am

Countertrey wrote:You don't make that "decision in the space of two or three seconds"... you SHOULD practice like you play... that is when you make the decision... and, I will GUARANTEE you... he does NOT tackle like that in practice.


That's a fair point, but can you honestly say that ANYBODY on this team (or any other) tackles in practice like they do in games?

And I just flat out disagree with you about the "2-3 seconds". Its not just about the defensive player. There are 21 other players moving around at incredible speed when a play is occurring. I don't care how much you practice, you can't plan EXACTLY how you're going to move and react with all of that going on. We see it every single week with defensive players drawing flags on hits, and I guarantee YOU that they're not all dirty players out to hurt people or dumb players who don't care about penalties.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4602
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Postby riggofan » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:41 am

SkinsJock wrote:IMO the refs see film and are more likely to throw flags at players that have shown a propensity to play in a way that could be dangerous - Suh and Merriwether would be high on that list


hah. The funny part about that is how much tape can there be on him? The guy is always out injured!!

Seriously though, he doesn't really have much choice. He's going to have to work on tackling more v. hitting, or he's not going to be in the league.

**LPJ**
Posts: 6377
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:49 am

OldSchool and ButterD.. ya'll happy now?

Noticed ya'll neva replied in the thread again.. would've thought ya'll had the Anti-Merriwether parade down GA Avenue by now.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Hog
Posts: 2240
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:05 pm
Location: Midland, VA

Postby Kilmer72 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:17 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:OldSchool and ButterD.. ya'll happy now?

Noticed ya'll neva replied in the thread again.. would've thought ya'll had the Anti-Merriwether parade down GA Avenue by now.


Lol almost. Should be super easy to find someone that knows how to play safety right?

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1687
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:44 am
Location: Houston, TX

Postby markshark84 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:21 am

yupchagee wrote:2 points:
It isn't 2-3 seconds, it's less than 1.
If Merriweather deserves a suspension,why is Suh still in the league?


I think that Merriweather was suspended because he has gone helmet to helmet pretty consistently this year. He's even had a couple close ones that weren't flagged. He's already given (I believe) 2 players and himself concussions this year. From a pro-NFL side, you could say the suspension was given in order to protect the players, but also HIMSELF from further damage/concussions --- that said, we all know what the NFL truly cares about......

I personally do NOT think a suspension was necessary --- as I personally thought all of his hits but 1 have been fine. That said, Merriweather has already been fined $200k over the course of his career for helmet to helmet hits. I think the NFL thought the fines weren't getting thru to him ---- and I personally have to agree on that. So, if the NFL truly thinks what he has been doing is against league policy, then they really didn't have another choice. Then again, if it were up to me and afraid of all the pending litigation resulting from the NFL's history of liassez-faire attitudes towards concussions, I would have suspended him 1 game, knowing it would get reversed. If it happened again, I would have done the 2.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

08 Champ
Posts: 13223
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:35 am

markshark84 wrote:I think that Merriweather was suspended because he has gone helmet to helmet pretty consistently this year. He's even had a couple close ones that weren't flagged. He's already given (I believe) 2 players and himself concussions this year. From a pro-NFL side, you could say the suspension was given in order to protect the players, but also HIMSELF from further damage/concussions --- that said, we all know what the NFL truly cares about......

I personally do NOT think a suspension was necessary --- as I personally thought all of his hits but 1 have been fine. That said, Merriweather has already been fined $200k over the course of his career for helmet to helmet hits. I think the NFL thought the fines weren't getting thru to him ---- and I personally have to agree on that. So, if the NFL truly thinks what he has been doing is against league policy, then they really didn't have another choice. Then again, if it were up to me and afraid of all the pending litigation resulting from the NFL's history of liassez-faire attitudes towards concussions, I would have suspended him 1 game, knowing it would get reversed. If it happened again, I would have done the 2.


:shock: really?


ROTFALMAO
We are very fortunate to have Kirk Cousins but Griffin has a huge upside IMO

Robert needs to continue to get better and to do that he needs time on the field - hopefully sooner than later

HAIL


Week 2 - 17-15

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4602
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Postby riggofan » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:46 am

SkinsJock wrote:
markshark84 wrote:I think that Merriweather was suspended because he has gone helmet to helmet pretty consistently this year. He's even had a couple close ones that weren't flagged. He's already given (I believe) 2 players and himself concussions this year. From a pro-NFL side, you could say the suspension was given in order to protect the players, but also HIMSELF from further damage/concussions --- that said, we all know what the NFL truly cares about......

I personally do NOT think a suspension was necessary --- as I personally thought all of his hits but 1 have been fine. That said, Merriweather has already been fined $200k over the course of his career for helmet to helmet hits. I think the NFL thought the fines weren't getting thru to him ---- and I personally have to agree on that. So, if the NFL truly thinks what he has been doing is against league policy, then they really didn't have another choice. Then again, if it were up to me and afraid of all the pending litigation resulting from the NFL's history of liassez-faire attitudes towards concussions, I would have suspended him 1 game, knowing it would get reversed. If it happened again, I would have done the 2.


:shock: really?


ROTFALMAO


I don't know about all of his hits, but I saw the hit on Alshon Jeffrey by Merriweather again on tv last night and thought it was kind of iffy, so I watched it again this morning. The problem with the hit wasn't that he was leading with his helmet, trying to spear the guy or anything. He actually hits him with his shoulder. The problem with the hit is that he's tackling high. So he hits with his shoulder and then gets helmet to helmet.

Just my 2 cents, but I'm not sure that "really?shock" and "lmao" really add much to the conversation.
Last edited by riggofan on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

08 Champ
Posts: 13223
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:08 pm

it really does not matter what we all think about the way Meriweather tackles
he KNOWS the Refs are watching him more carefully and if they see anything close to the helmet (they do not have the benefit of slow motion) they are going to call a foul
they will only suspend him, if in their reviews, they can determine he made a tackle that, in their judgement, is not safe

Meriweather seems to make most of his tackles in a way that they seem to be very close to helmet to helmet
he's hurting the defense by continuing to do this - the refs are going to err on the safe side and penalize him

Meriweather is not a dirty player but he's most certainly not very intelligent and that may be because he's taken too many hits to his head :roll:
We are very fortunate to have Kirk Cousins but Griffin has a huge upside IMO

Robert needs to continue to get better and to do that he needs time on the field - hopefully sooner than later

HAIL


Week 2 - 17-15

the 'mudge
Posts: 14527
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:29 pm

riggofan wrote:
ACW wrote:
riggofan wrote:I don't really understand what people believe makes him a "dirty" player. He's a safety who likes to hit. How is that different from Laron Landry? Or Sean Taylor?
Like it or not, the rules have changed. And if you look at two of Sean's hits (the one on Moorman and the block against the Lions) he led with this shoulder.

I'm not debating the rules at all. They are what they are. My question was why people are so adamant that he is a "dirty" player.
I've looked through the thread... and see ONE... count them... ONE instance in which someone has suggested that he is a dirty player. I would disagree, btw. Merrifield is certainly hard nosed... perhaps "old-school" would work as well...

Several has suggested that he is, perhaps, stupid... Neither this generalization, nor yours that "people" are calling him dirty, help this discussion. Even if they do, that relates to their ignorance, not to the facts. If they want to consider him "dirty", then, so what? Ignore their opinion.

This is purely about his obvious refusal to comply with the rules, and the fact that his obstinence is resulting in calls that would not be made if others made the same hit.

Laron Landry, a much bigger hitter than Merriman, has learned to play within these rules. That certainly suggest that Merriman could, as well, if properly motivated. To this point, it seems that he has not been so motivated. If he expects to continue to play... it's time to learn.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football