Merriweather Deserves A Suspension

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
#33
Posts: 4084
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:44 am

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:00 am

SkinsJock wrote:I don't think that Brandon understands that what he's doing is wrong - he's been warned by the NFL and I'm sure the coaches have had words with him

he does not get it

I hope the NFL looks very closely at what he did in the last game and if they determine that he was trying to hurt players rather than just making a tackle, he should be suspended and when he gets back on the field he should be ejected from the game if he continues to make tackles like we've seen

this guy is not a hard player, he's a dirty player

Weather he is a dirty player or not, what he did on Sunday is not worth a suspension let alone a two day suspension! The first hit was a clean, good football pay. The second hit was late, but in all fairness he probably didn't see that Marshall had already dropped the ball. In both cases i think his intent was to separate the receiver from the ball. Of course he was doing it by trying inflict a lot of pain but he was trying to prevent a TD on the second play and the first play was a clean hit.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

the 'mudge
Posts: 14378
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:25 am

I'm sorry... Merriweather has a long history as a headhunter... and a long history of repeated penalties and fines for it. He has used up his total quotient of league slack.
If it's close... the call is being made. If he wants to play with the "line" the NFL has drawn, then he is going to experience the consequences.

Period.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 1945
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby emoses14 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:44 am

Countertrey wrote:I'm sorry... Merriweather has a long history as a headhunter... and a long history of repeated penalties and fines for it. He has used up his total quotient of league slack.
If it's close... the call is being made. If he wants to play with the "line" the NFL has drawn, then he is going to experience the consequences.

Period.


I agree with Skinsfans' take on the hits in the Chicago game, but the league isn't suspending him for those 2 hits. CT I think gets at the heart of it, after x number of fines for the same behavior, more exacting punishment is necessary, hello suspension.

Also, John Mara. :evil:
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog
Online
Posts: 1029
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:27 pm
Location: Arlington, VA (Ballston)

Postby ACW » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:10 am

I don't put THIS on Mara.
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

Hog
Posts: 2145
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:05 pm
Location: Midland, VA

Postby Kilmer72 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:38 am

We are a much better secondary with Merriweather. With out him and against
QBs like Peyton Manning, we really are going to get torched. At least Merriweather knows what he is doing.

Rather he deserves it or not he is a marked man.

08 Champ
Posts: 13144
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:05 pm

Merriwether has to know that he is hurting the team by continuing to play the way that he does - I don't care how good or important a player is, if he can only play in a way that hurts the team concept, he should not be on the field


hopefully we will try some other safeties who really want to help the defense ... not hurt it
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

08 Champ
Posts: 13144
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:13 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:I don't think that Brandon understands that what he's doing is wrong - he's been warned by the NFL and I'm sure the coaches have had words with him

he does not get it

I hope the NFL looks very closely at what he did in the last game and if they determine that he was trying to hurt players rather than just making a tackle, he should be suspended and when he gets back on the field he should be ejected from the game if he continues to make tackles like we've seen

this guy is not a hard player, he's a dirty player

Weather he is a dirty player or not, what he did on Sunday is not worth a suspension let alone a two day suspension! The first hit was a clean, good football pay. The second hit was late, but in all fairness he probably didn't see that Marshall had already dropped the ball. In both cases i think his intent was to separate the receiver from the ball. Of course he was doing it by trying inflict a lot of pain but he was trying to prevent a TD on the second play and the first play was a clean hit.


TO CLARIFY ... :lol:

Brandon was NOT suspended SOLELY for how he played on Sunday ... he was suspended for continuing to play in a way that the NFL has determined is dangerous ...

THIS IS A GOOD THING - when Brandon next steps on a field and continues to play in that manner, I hope he is ejected from the NFL

he is showing no respect for his team or the other players in the NFL
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4515
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Postby riggofan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:57 pm

I don't really understand what people believe makes him a "dirty" player. He's a safety who likes to hit. How is that different from Laron Landry? Or Sean Taylor?

The leading with the helmet thing just means he has bad technique at this point. That wasn't even a rule three years ago.

There's a whole group of safeties out there who have been getting fined and suspended for this stuff. I don't really buy that they're all "dirty". They're being told they have to change the way they have played their entire lives. And they're going to keep getting fined and giving up penalties until they do.

I guess you could make the argument that its "dumb" to continue to play that way. Not being in his shoes myself though, I don't really know how easy it is to make a decision in the space of two or three seconds to change the way you're tackling.

**LPJ**
Posts: 6348
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:09 pm

Well folks.. the man got suspended. Now please come out and tell me who is HAPPY that he's suspended.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

**LPJ**
Posts: 6348
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:34 pm

SkinsJock wrote:Merriwether has to know that he is hurting the team by continuing to play the way that he does - I don't care how good or important a player is, if he can only play in a way that hurts the team concept, he should not be on the field


D. Hall takes risks.. sometimes he gets an interception.
Merriwether launches.. sometimes he makes great tackles.
D. Hall takes risks.. sometimes he gets burnt for touchdowns.
Merriwether launches.. sometimes he gets a 15 yard penalty.

So why not take D. Hall off the field too SJ?
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4515
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Postby riggofan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:45 pm

Glad to see Merriweather's teammates have his back.

Josh Wilson:
I don't think Brandon's a bad guy or a dirty guy. We grew up watching guys play football, and that's how we play football. We just have to adjust."


http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/98678 ... cago-bears

08 Champ
Posts: 13144
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:05 pm

I don't think that Brandon is a dirty player - the NFL has rules about how you play the game and Brandon does not seem to think he's breaking those rules

from the games I have watched - Merriwether is not playing by the rules as defined by the NFL

When a O lineman is caught holding and penalized it's OK - it happens - if that same O lineman continues to get caught and says - "it's the only way I can be effective and, besides, everyone does it ..." - would you think the coach should let this player play when he will continue to get called for breaking a rule that he does not think he is breaking

I am not happy that Brandon is not playing but I understand why the NFL has suspended him
if Merriwether is going to continue to play in a way that constantly draws penalties and may result in a suspension, then I hope he's not playing here

what am I missing?
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Hog
Posts: 2145
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:05 pm
Location: Midland, VA

Postby Kilmer72 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:10 pm


Hog
Online
Posts: 1029
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:27 pm
Location: Arlington, VA (Ballston)

Postby ACW » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:34 pm

riggofan wrote:I don't really understand what people believe makes him a "dirty" player. He's a safety who likes to hit. How is that different from Laron Landry? Or Sean Taylor?
Like it or not, the rules have changed. And if you look at two of Sean's hits (the one on Moorman and the block against the Lions) he led with this shoulder.
langleyparkjoe wrote:Well folks.. the man got suspended. Now please come out and tell me who is HAPPY that he's suspended.
Happy? No. Against it? No.
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

the 'mudge
Posts: 14378
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:02 pm

riggofan wrote:I don't really understand what people believe makes him a "dirty" player. He's a safety who likes to hit. How is that different from Laron Landry? Or Sean Taylor?

The leading with the helmet thing just means he has bad technique at this point. That wasn't even a rule three years ago.

There's a whole group of safeties out there who have been getting fined and suspended for this stuff. I don't really buy that they're all "dirty". They're being told they have to change the way they have played their entire lives. And they're going to keep getting fined and giving up penalties until they do.

I guess you could make the argument that its "dumb" to continue to play that way. Not being in his shoes myself though, I don't really know how easy it is to make a decision in the space of two or three seconds to change the way you're tackling.


You don't make that "decision in the space of two or three seconds"... you SHOULD practice like you play... that is when you make the decision... and, I will GUARANTEE you... he does NOT tackle like that in practice.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football