Skins are shopping Fred Davis....

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby markshark84 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:57 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:
Countertrey wrote:Additionally... the "out of my kids mouths" thing was a bit... dramatic. I'm having some difficulty with the concept of the family struggle with only 1.4 million... I mean, I would understand his disappointment... but please... my family grew up with less than 50K a year... consider your audience when you are looking for a sympathetic ear.

Yeah that comment irked me too. Try working on a $32,000 a year salary and then worry about putting food in your kids mouths. Your children could have diamond crusted diapers with $1.4 mill.

I think the "kids mouth" thing is a term used by athletes and since the whole Latrell Spreewell "I have a family to feed" $21M offer --- fans are put off by it.

But salary expectations and statements reflect the circumstances players are in. And if you were LO --- an NFL player that is on the wrong side of 30 entering his final NFL deal --- if you were smart you would have said same thing. $1.2M is a HUGE deal to an NFL player --- especially when the average career is 3 years. LO is 30 (on the closer side to 31) and a LB. He very well knew this will be his final contract. And $1.4M after taxes is closer to $700k. That is nothing over the course of a career. NFL players aren't lawyers, accountants, nurses, teachers, IT professionals, etc. that can have a 40 year career. And most of the NFL players aren't getting their CPA after they retire from the NFL. So every penny counts --- especially when it's your last contract (which is why you see older players going for the $$$ above team loyalty or to be part of a better team.... well unless you're a QB who's already made $100M).

I once had drinks with Gary Clark and he told me the reason he went to AZ was because they offered him more guaranteed money AND he knew it would be his final deal. He also said that as you get older, the guaranteed money is the only $$$ you care about in a contract.

That is the way it is in the NFL. When your time is almost up, you grab what you can.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:12 am

Bye bye....and I wish you well.

Too bad cuz I kinda liked Freddy boy...
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:28 pm

I've been seeing this idea of Fred Davis/pick to the Bills for Jarius Byrd floating around today. We'd have to throw in a pick to make the deal, but no doubt we could use the safety help.

What do you think?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog

Postby Burgundy&Wha? » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:34 pm

riggofan wrote:I've been seeing this idea of Fred Davis/pick to the Bills for Jarius Byrd floating around today. We'd have to throw in a pick to make the deal, but no doubt we could use the safety help.

What do you think?

Where have you seen this?

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:36 pm

I wouldn't trade him. I'd find a way to get him on the field with Reed. Fred Davis was our franchise player a short time ago. He's coming off injury, unless there's something behind the scenes we don't know about, I'd re-sign him while his value is low and have him play next year when he's all the way healthy.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:37 pm

riggofan wrote:I've been seeing this idea of Fred Davis/pick to the Bills for Jarius Byrd floating around today. We'd have to throw in a pick to make the deal, but no doubt we could use the safety help.

What do you think?

With the way we've drafted, I'd keep the pick and try to get Byrd when he hits free agency. If he's too expensive, then pass.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Postby yupchagee » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:36 pm

What do you think?

Do we have cap space?
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:51 pm

The Hogster wrote:

What do you think?

With the way we've drafted, I'd keep the pick and try to get Byrd when he hits free agency. If he's too expensive, then pass.

+1 - we need to add draft picks
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:38 pm

The Hogster wrote:I wouldn't trade him. I'd find a way to get him on the field with Reed. Fred Davis was our franchise player a short time ago. He's coming off injury, unless there's something behind the scenes we don't know about, I'd re-sign him while his value is low and have him play next year when he's all the way healthy.

Well, there clearly IS something happening behind the scenes. The guy has barely played the last few weeks and was inactive against the Bears. Its not exactly a secret.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:44 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
The Hogster wrote:

What do you think?

+1 - we need to add draft picks

I wouldn't trade a second, maybe not even a third. But you wouldn't trade Fred Davis and a fourth round pick to get a young guy who was drafted in the second round, a guy you know can start and fill a big position of need for your team?

There are a few mentions of this scenario out there, but here's one if you're interested:

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/p ... avis-trade

Hog

Postby Hooligan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:39 pm

I don't follow the Bills that closely, is Jarius Byrd that good, or is he just better than what we have? Is he good enough to not worry about the position for a few years?

If he's good enough to be THE MAN, I think Davis and a 4th is a no-brainer.

With this likely being Fletcher's last year, we need to draft a GOOD MLB on top of other team needs, all without a 1st round pick. There are too many holes to turn down getting a guaranteed starter out of a 4th round pick and a player that's leaving anyway.
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:57 pm

Hooligan wrote:I don't follow the Bills that closely, is Jarius Byrd that good, or is he just better than what we have? Is he good enough to not worry about the position for a few years?

If he's good enough to be THE MAN, I think Davis and a 4th is a no-brainer.

With this likely being Fletcher's last year, we need to draft a GOOD MLB on top of other team needs, all without a 1st round pick. There are too many holes to turn down getting a guaranteed starter out of a 4th round pick and a player that's leaving anyway.

GOOD MLB's are usually 1st rounders. Yeah, that is a huge concern though.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:59 pm

He's good. Lead the league in interceptions his rookie year and made the Pro Bowl that year and 2012. I'm spelling his name wrong btw, its Jairus.

Probably a total pipe dream but I did think it was interesting if it was remotely possible. Its not just the 4th round pick of course. You'd have to be confident that you could re-sign him next year.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:12 pm

riggofan wrote:He's good. Lead the league in interceptions his rookie year and made the Pro Bowl that year and 2012. I'm spelling his name wrong btw, its Jairus.

Probably a total pipe dream but I did think it was interesting if it was remotely possible. Its not just the 4th round pick of course. You'd have to be confident that you could re-sign him next year.

:lol: - we shall see

I have every confidence that the FO we have now has the smarts to figure out what's the best move ... and we have a place that most good guys will want to come to
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:58 pm

We've all heard that Davis has been missing a lot of routes in practice. A Hogster said, I'd like to see him & Reed on the field together.

There's plenty of pros & cons either way.

If we trade Fred and get something from him, we'll all be glad to have it once we read later he got suspended again.

Paulson can block well and can catch. So maybe him & Reed together are our combination.

I don't think we should get too upset if we do trade Fred; hate to say it, but he's probably going to get himself in trouble again in the near future.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football