Merriweather Deserves A Suspension

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby emoses14 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:56 pm

Wouldn't an appeal stay his suspension for at least Denver?
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:13 am

I think the suspension is a bit excessive for two reasons.

First players have gone out and intentionally tried to hurt other players and only got a one game suspension. Yes I'm talking to you Suh!

Second, the first hit was a BS call. Marshall was no longer defenseless and Merriweather led with his shoulder and hit Marshall in the chest. Sure their heads collided but it wasn't like Merriweather was targeting his head. The second hit was bad, but mostly because it was late. The hit should have drawn a flag and a fine, but not a suspension.

I expect that this suspension will get reduced to one game or no games and a big fine.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby TimSkin » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:27 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:I think the suspension is a bit excessive for two reasons.

First players have gone out and intentionally tried to hurt other players and only got a one game suspension. Yes I'm talking to you Suh!

Second, the first hit was a BS call. Marshall was no longer defenseless and Merriweather led with his shoulder and hit Marshall in the chest. Sure their heads collided but it wasn't like Merriweather was targeting his head. The second hit was bad, but mostly because it was late. The hit should have drawn a flag and a fine, but not a suspension.

I expect that this suspension will get reduced to one game or no games and a big fine.

First I agree with both of the points you mentioned above; however I believe his suspension is because he has REPEATEDLY violated this no hitting high in the head and neck area and/or hitting late not just this season but in his past.

I'm sure the NFL wants to set an example with him also to try and get the higher hits cut down because a two game paycheck is a lot of money for a "lesser" paid player like Merriweather.
HTTR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hog

Postby TimSkin » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:31 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:

I do hope you're right on here for we could sure use all the help we can get this weekend.
HTTR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:55 am

TimSkin wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:

I do hope you're right on here for we could sure use all the help we can get this weekend.

Which is precisely the real motivation behind the 2 game suspension. I don't care if it is conspiracy theory light, the "league office" aka Mara's boys, will definitely have our secondary depleted to face happy feet manning this weekend.
Even if reduced, bet your bottom dollar he's out at denver
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:20 am

I'm wondering if we move a CB to FS. Amerson with his size and speed could be a really good FS one day.

We used Biggers there in game 1, not that it worked out that well.

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:24 am

Thanks for the video.

I agree, the first hit was not bad at all, in fact, it's what you want your safeties to do. He went in with shoulder and hit the WR I believe legally. The guy caught the ball and took one or two steps before he was hit by a shoulder. I see way more "dirty" or "dangerous" hits all the time. The one in the endzone was late for sure. If on Wilson or anyone who hasn't done that, it would have been 15 and no fines or suspensions probably.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:49 am

emoses14 wrote:Wouldn't an appeal stay his suspension for at least Denver?

Let's hope so. Every other player who has appealed suspensions for these hits so far has had their game suspension lifted.

Say what you want about Merriweather. I'm not saying he's the greatest player out there, but does anybody disagree that he's our best option at safety right now?

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:10 am

He'll probably appeal and play against Denver.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:53 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:He'll probably appeal and play against Denver.

If that is true then it will mean his suspension was overturned, because the appeal will be heard and ruled on prior to the weekend.

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:07 am

If that is true then it will mean his suspension was overturned, because the appeal will be heard and ruled on prior to the weekend.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:37 pm

riggofan wrote:
emoses14 wrote:Wouldn't an appeal stay his suspension for at least Denver?

Let's hope so. Every other player who has appealed suspensions for these hits so far has had their game suspension lifted.
Say what you want about Merriweather. I'm not saying he's the greatest player out there, but does anybody disagree that he's our best option at safety right now?

I agree with your premise but I also think that the NFL needs to find a way to make players like Brandon know that IF they are going to play in a manner that is in total disregard for the safety of the other players, then, they will be fined first, fined and suspended second, and lastly, kicked out of the NFL for not playing within the rules
Griffin will become a really good QB but it's going to take time

We are lucky to have Cousins - hopefully he can continue to play well

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:03 pm

The first hit wasn't even a foul. He deserves a suspension, but let's not act like he's a criminal out there. He's just somewhat dumb.

Launching your head into another person's head takes a level of dumbness since you can hurt yourself (like he did in the Green Bay game)
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby TimSkin » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:00 pm

I said on the bottom of the screen on ESPN that he's definitely appealing but the league will hear the appeal before the Denver game.
HTTR!!!!!!!!!!!!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:48 pm

I don't think that Brandon understands that what he's doing is wrong - he's been warned by the NFL and I'm sure the coaches have had words with him

he does not get it

I hope the NFL looks very closely at what he did in the last game and if they determine that he was trying to hurt players rather than just making a tackle, he should be suspended and when he gets back on the field he should be ejected from the game if he continues to make tackles like we've seen

this guy is not a hard player, he's a dirty player
Griffin will become a really good QB but it's going to take time

We are lucky to have Cousins - hopefully he can continue to play well

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football