Alfred Morris

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
---

Alfred Morris

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:55 am

Lemme preface this by saying that I realize a few things...

1. RGIII is not 100%, Be it mental, physical or confidence.
2. The is average at best. Last year, RGIII's legs masked that.
3. Our WR's are inconsistent, an above average unit. The read option created space for them last year.

All that being said. Alfred seems different this year. His performance seems spotty... And usually I can tell if it's because there are failures elsewhere in the chain but he just doesn't seem to be confident. Is it a lack of confidence in himself? Is he simply down because of our record? Is he trying to bear too much of the responsibility. He's constantly stated that he wants all the pressure on his shoulders...

Last year, we were a 1 back team. I assume that was mostly due to injuries. However, maybe we're simply a 2 back team now. Maybe Alfred getting all the touches is a thing of the past and that's not a bad thing. However, he's no long a consistent threat and maybe that's due to a lack of space that he enjoyed last year. Possibly, Helu's speed let's him get to the holes before the close up where in 2012, that hole would have been opened longer due to the read option.

I'm not sure, what do you guys think?
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:59 am

I love the guy. He's produced consistent numbers for us in every game. Sure he didn't get any TD's yesterday, but I love the balanced approach of Morris being your work horse and Helu coming in and backing him up.

ch1

Re: Alfred Morris

Postby crazyhorse1 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:13 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Lemme preface this by saying that I realize a few things...

3. Our WR's are inconsistent, an above average unit. The read option created space for them last year.

All that being said. Alfred seems different this year. His performance seems spotty... And usually I can tell if it's because there are failures elsewhere in the chain but he just doesn't seem to be confident. Is it a lack of confidence in himself? Is he simply down because of our record? Is he trying to bear too much of the responsibility. He's constantly stated that he wants all the pressure on his shoulders...

He's averaging over five yards a carry, which is better than last year-- behind a sub-par line. His yardage is not as good as last year because we've had to pass more playing catch up. He had the highest average gain rushing in the NFL the last I checked, without the running threat of Robert. The only negative is a couple of fumbles. Your view is a bit off the mark. Even with fewer touches, he's on pace for over twelve hundred yards or so.

Last year, we were a 1 back team. I assume that was mostly due to injuries. However, maybe we're simply a 2 back team now. Maybe Alfred getting all the touches is a thing of the past and that's not a bad thing. However, he's no long a consistent threat and maybe that's due to a lack of space that he enjoyed last year. Possibly, Helu's speed let's him get to the holes before the close up where in 2012, that hole would have been opened longer due to the read option.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:17 am

crazyhorse1 wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:Lemme preface this by saying that I realize a few things...

He's averaging over five yards a carry, which is better than last year-- behind a sub-par line. His yardage is not as good as last year because we've had to pass more playing catch up. He had the highest average gain rushing in the NFL the last I checked, without the running threat of Robert. The only negative is a couple of fumbles. Your view is a bit off the mark. Even with fewer touches, he's on pace for over twelve hundred yards or so.

+1
Morris is actually doing better than last year with less help from RGIII.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:17 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:

Ummm... no.

Alf is Alf... and I'd give him the ball in every situation where a run might be indicated. Dude runs 18 yards in beast mode on one play literally dragging 3 defenders 8 yards, and you are worried about his confidence?

Bears have a very good front 7... that plays in, too.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby 44diesel » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:21 am

I think that Morris is a great physical back to pound a defense, but he really shines when he's not the only guy a defense has to target.

If he's all a defense has to worry about stopping, we'll see what we did in the beginning of this year. Small gains and tough yardage. Now add a speedy threat to run the ball (RGIII or Helu) and a defense will get gassed and less quick to react to the ball. This is when Morris can really shine.

I love the way Morris runs the football. Alfred is the kind of guy who takes usually more than one guy to take down and seems to run stronger as the game goes on. Spelling him with Helu, a more mobile RGIII and running more of this up tempo (hurry up) offense can only mean good things for a guy like Alf and ultimately for the offense overall.
"Givin'em the Business!"

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:42 am

crazyhorse1 wrote:He's averaging over five yards a carry, which is better than last year-- behind a sub-par line. His yardage is not as good as last year because we've had to pass more playing catch up. He had the highest average gain rushing in the NFL the last I checked, without the running threat of Robert. The only negative is a couple of fumbles. Your view is a bit off the mark. Even with fewer touches, he's on pace for over twelve hundred yards or so.

This is what I came here for. If I'm just imagining things, that's fine. I just wanted some input from the hive mind. Again, I'm not knocking him nor have I been entrenched in the game like I have been in years past.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:45 am

I haven't really looked that closely at Morris' numbers so far this year, though I suspect the comments about our playing from behind alot this year are on point.

I was just going to add that I am LOVING the Morris/Helu combination that seems to be shaping up. I actually heard Cooley on the radio this morning say they need to start finding ways to get them BOTH on the field at the same time.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:12 am

Morris is actually playing BETTER than last year. As far as his sideline demeanor, I'm not sure what it is. If I had to guess, I would say it is more to do with the being off the field on passing downs --- because we are always losing. He is the only offensive player playing at his 2012 level. After all, he averaged 21 carries per game; this year it's 15. That is frustrating --- considering he is the most consistent player on the team. Being restricted by things you can't control is VERY frustrating.

And I received a NUMBER of phone calls last night about how Morris got ROBBED on goal-line plays --- especially on the 1st and Goal on the 2 with less than a minute left. Why did they put Helu in? That IS what Morris does well. There is no reason Helu should have been playing in that scenario. Had something gone wrong --- that is what the media would have been complaining about today and how KS/MS don't know how to run personell.

Morris needs to get 20-25 touches per game --- MINIMUM. As with last year, he gets better as the game goes on. His best production is between carries 12-25 --- and he hasn't been able to get there this season (which could be another reason he appears frustrated).

IMHO, he's a top 10 RB in the league. He needs to be treated that way.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:36 am

markshark84 wrote:And I received a NUMBER of phone calls last night about how Morris got ROBBED on goal-line plays --- especially on the 1st and Goal on the 2 with less than a minute left. Why did they put Helu in? That IS what Morris does well. There is no reason Helu should have been playing in that scenario. Had something gone wrong --- that is what the media would have been complaining about today and how KS/MS don't know how to run personell.

Maybe, but there is logic to it: they wanted the Bears to think we were going to pass. It looked to me like it worked.

Morris needs to get 20-25 touches per game --- MINIMUM. As with last year, he gets better as the game goes on. His best production is between carries 12-25 --- and he hasn't been able to get there this season (which could be another reason he appears frustrated).

I couldn't disagree with this more. Feeding him the ball 20-25 times a game is simply a recipe to wear him out before his time: that's an average of about 360 carries per year. Spread the ball out and we'll not only keep defenses guessing, we'll see Morris in B&G for an extra 3-4 productive seasons.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby gushogs » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:49 am

I think people are complaining because of fantasy points, cause Morris didn't get the TDs yesterday.... money/gambling blurring people perspectives????

HaiL,
Enough of this name change sh*t!!!
Get politicians out of office. Then they'll forget about the REDSKINS, because they'll be WORKING!!!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:10 pm

gushogs wrote:I think people are complaining because of fantasy points, cause Morris didn't get the TDs yesterday.... money/gambling blurring people perspectives????

HaiL,

Not me, I picked up Helu last week. :twisted:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:53 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
markshark84 wrote:And I received a NUMBER of phone calls last night about how Morris got ROBBED on goal-line plays --- especially on the 1st and Goal on the 2 with less than a minute left. Why did they put Helu in? That IS what Morris does well. There is no reason Helu should have been playing in that scenario. Had something gone wrong --- that is what the media would have been complaining about today and how KS/MS don't know how to run personell.

Maybe, but there is logic to it: they wanted the Bears to think we were going to pass. It looked to me like it worked.

I couldn't disagree with this more. Feeding him the ball 20-25 times a game is simply a recipe to wear him out before his time: that's an average of about 360 carries per year. Spread the ball out and we'll not only keep defenses guessing, we'll see Morris in B&G for an extra 3-4 productive seasons.

This is what happens when fans get what they want....

Everybody wanted the Skins to find a change of pace back, someone to spell Alfred...

Helu is that back, he's got good hands coming out of the backfield, which makes him perfect in the redzone....

FTR... MO is ranked 8th in the NFL in yards and 4th in the NFC & the last person on the roster that would even take part in discussing this topic.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:32 pm

Deadskins wrote:
gushogs wrote:I think people are complaining because of fantasy points, cause Morris didn't get the TDs yesterday.... money/gambling blurring people perspectives????

HaiL,

Not me, I picked up Helu last week. :twisted:

Not Royster??!!
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:38 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:

+1

In the entire history of the NFL there have only been 5 seasons where a man averaged 25 carries per game. Jim Brown never did it and no one has ever done it twice.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football