Where are we headed here?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:00 pm

you're absolutely correct everydayAskinsday - it is just you ... well maybe there are some others that don't get it also, so don't go doing anything silly ... :lol:

RG3 is an incredible talent and it's been abundantly clear to most of us and the media that he's been well brought up and he's a VERY humble respectful person

RG3 will become a more complete QB in the near future and we're lucky, in a way, that he's being tutored by Kyle and Mike - he would not have lasted long in the NFL playing the way that he did last year
Griffin will become a really good QB but it's going to take time

We are lucky to have Cousins - hopefully he can continue to play well

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:21 pm

everydayAskinsday wrote:I have been hoping that the silver lining out of this terrible start by the Redskins would help to humble RG3 a bit as well but he just doesnt seem to get it.. his comments about how every QB in this league misses throws just rubs me the wrong way.. maybe it is just me

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc- ... o-play-qb/

You and the WP, at least. But I don't get what's supposed to be controversial about what he said. I think RGIII was trying to anticipate where Larry Michael was going with that question, or what he thought LM was trying to imply, rightly or wrongly.

The fact that everyone in the world lately (a) has an opinion about whether RGIII should be playing and how he should play when he's in there and (b) has felt the need to express it, probably led to Robert saying what he did. I've heard everyone from my coworkers to the guy who came in to work on our kitchen last week (a Packers fan) offer an authoritative pronouncement on how to use and not to use RGIII. And about a million articles in WP, ESPN, NFL.com, etc. have been written on the topic. I think he feels that pressure and is just responding to it.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

piggie

Postby oj » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:27 pm

I wish Andy Reid had come here.
Molon Labe

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:19 pm

actually In-Bru, I think RG3 looks better than last years run. He's healthier anyway. Accuracy is way off though. I'll let the people who know more than me tell him why.

Just worried that this team is floating right now. You don't know what swagger is, I don't get what growing pains are. Either you are good or bad after 4 years. You can't tell me that we're still growing. I mean how many years before the defense is better, or we have a number 2 WR or Fletcher just shuts down on the field? These are critical issues that an offseason is not going to fix. So I ask, how much longer until we are consistently good. I know you can't answer that, but give it a guess.
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

piggie

Postby Bishop Hammer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:28 pm

SkinsJock wrote:We have guys in charge that know what they are doing and things are not near as bad as many here are making them out to be

I am not and never was a fan of Mike Shanahan as a HC but he's here and he won the NFC East last year

hopefully, we do not go back to the turnover of players and coaches like we used to

Shanahan has left a lot to be desired but he's a better alternative to how the team was ran the last decade.
I don't have to sell my soul,
He's already in me,
I don't need to sell my soul,
He's already in me.
I wanna be adored
I wanna be adored.

Stone Roses
I wanna be adored

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:07 pm

Friends, I'm frustrated too, but we need to see what Shanny goes over the next 3-5 years to make a definite decision.

Many are starting to say this is an excuse, but its not; we have a huge cap penalty, picked up a long term franchise QB at the cost of 1st round picks for a few years, and weak Free Agency pickups.

If I had my guess, I'd say we're going to make a few key upgrade in FA next year (quality young players; not like the old days), and we'll pick up a stud or two in the draft.

My biggest frustration is player development. In particular, LeRib & Compton. Redskins website says Compton did play some in all 5 games but I don't recall seeing him (wasn't exactly looking). Anyway, for these two, I'd like to see them step up and take over one of our linemen's job. Compton is behind Williams, but if he's such a freak of nature in strength, he needs to start at another line position for us. Just don't understand how all the people we brought in and out of camp, no one has outmatched linemen whose last name isn't Williams.

Conclusion, we're heading towards "normal people" draft & FAs soon. Our scheme covered a lot of flaws last year, but it appears defenses have picked up on it. Some of these guys are going to continue to grow; others...perhaps even most, are going to get swapped out over the next 3 yrs or so.

Hog

Postby BigRedskinDaddy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:39 am

riggofan wrote:I don't have any problem with what chiefhog wrote above or really any of your comments.

Personally though, I've just had enough of the constant turnover. We've all acknowledged that Shanahan inherited an abomination of a roster. We didn't have a QB. And there is no arguing that the two year cap penalty has prevented them from bringing in some much needed help.

I don't have any doubt that Shanahan has a plan and direction he believes in. I want to see that job finished. If we need to make a coaching change then, at least I think we'll have a capable roster and a more professional organization for the next coaching staff.

I'm not letting Shanahan completely off the hook btw. He has clearly made some mistakes along the way. McNabb obviously. I don't know that switching to the 4-3 was a great idea with all of our other issues.

He still had an impressive and almost unbelievable playoff run last year though. Whatever happens this year, I'd like to see him back next year without the cap penalty and keep moving forward. I have no interest in starting all over again with the next Steve Spurrier, Jim Zorn, etc;

Riggofan summed it up quite nicely. I second this. I don't know where we're headed, but I'm afraid it's highly likely to be more of the same old same old for the last 20 some odd years. We'll have a season of mild success here and there, but the majority will be at best middle of the pack, and at worst, well... I don't know that we need to jettison the ShanaPlan and start all over (again) from scratch, but dangit - Mike, you used to be one of the wizards of this league. Where is the guy who left Oakland so pissed off at no one recognizing his brilliance that he took a perennial also ran, the "it's midnight Cinderella!" Broncos, and made the changes, however minor or major, that took them back to back? Why in the heck do the 'Skins end up with players or coaches who are just a smidge PAST their prime? That pattern has stuck with us since Gibbs 1.0. How JG knew which vets to pick from other teams scrap heaps is nothing less than amazing to me considering how unsuccessful everybody else since then appears to have been at it.

Like I said, I don't have the foggiest idea where to even begin adressing what's going on now, but I disagree with Irn-Bru when he implies that we more or less just crested the median last year, and are just beneath it this year. I see a much bigger swing or drop in performance, results, what have you, than what I inferred from his earlier post. Yes, we were 3-6 and out of it last year before we got hot and ran the table; that to me only reinforces the idea that we should have carried over some of that momentum, that cohesion, despite RGIII's injury and working out the kinks. But we didn't.

I dunno fellas. We haven't lost to a team with a losing record this year...but good teams win against other good teams from time to time. The Eagles game was a mess, but in retrospect a lot of the random factors had aligned before the first kickoff, and I know I didn't see 'em. The Lions game, OTOH, was imminently winnable. Good teams win at their house against similarly talented teams more often than not. We're not. Nor have me much at all outside of a rare years since '91. And I just don't get that. Many many other organizations have risen since then. A couple have even managed to stay near the top ever since - so I know it's possible even in the salary-cap FA era. We need to figure it out and get it freaking done, because this 1 step forward, 2 or 3 steps back routine is starting to make me old before my time.

Older, anyway.
HTTR
SB 17 - 22 - 26 - ??

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:31 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:i don't know where ya'll are headed but i'm going to the kitchen to get some more coffee.

Coffee?!

You?!

Hahahahahaha!

;-)
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:14 am

Remaining schedule

Bears
@Broncos
Chargers
@Vikings
@Eagles
Niners
Giants
Chiefs
@Falcons
Cowpies
@Giants

Looking at the remaining schedule its easy to see we had one of the toughest schedules if not the toughest schedule considering we played Green Bay and Detroit already.

Best case scenario is the Redskins win 11 straight. Worst case scenerio to win the division might be 9-7. That would give us more wiggle room if the rest of the division starts losing which is possible.

In all honesty if our team plays at its best and RG3 hits his stride. We could beat any of the teams remaining on the schedule.
Only two teams on the schedule are real juggernauts. The Broncos offense will truly challenge our defense this is obvious. Also the Forty Niners are one of the more complete teams in the NFL they were in the SB last year. They also have a similar QB to ours with a strong running game.

So for me I say we go 10-6. I say we somehow(miracle) beat the Broncos. Which would be a huge confidence boost. Drop one to the Niners and lose on the road to the Falcons. Then we beat up on the Pies at home and the Gstrings on the road.

Remember as the season progresses RG3s legs get stronger. Dont lose patience people. You should have known that an ACL injury takes time to heal. If you are surprised that means you probably have no clue what a major knee injury can do to a person let alone a football player. RG3 looks relatively good considering he just had reconstructive Knee surgery.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:51 am

HEROHAMO wrote:Remember as the season progresses RG3s legs get stronger. Dont lose patience people. You should have known that an ACL injury takes time to heal. If you are surprised that means you probably have no clue what a major knee injury can do to a person let alone a football player. RG3 looks relatively good considering he just had reconstructive Knee surgery.

This is why people have lost patience. If he still needs time to heal, he shouldn't be playing. And if he insists he's 100%, the play on the field has said otherwise.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:27 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:Remember as the season progresses RG3s legs get stronger. Dont lose patience people. You should have known that an ACL injury takes time to heal. If you are surprised that means you probably have no clue what a major knee injury can do to a person let alone a football player. RG3 looks relatively good considering he just had reconstructive Knee surgery.

This is why people have lost patience. If he still needs time to heal, he shouldn't be playing. And if he insists he's 100%, the play on the field has said otherwise.

I agree, but I really don't accept fans putting all the blame on RGIII for possibly returning to the field too quickly. The guy is an athlete and a competitor, so it should be no surprise that he did everything possible to get back ASAP.

And PLEASE go take a look at some of the posts on this message board from August. Nearly every person on here was adamant that if RGIII said he was ready then damnit he should be on the field. The couple of people who even suggested that maybe the team should hold RGIII out until after the BYE week were either crucified or lectured on the miracles of modern stem cell therapy. lol.

Weirdly, I was one of those people who thought it might be a good idea to give him more time to recover. But to be honest, I think he has played better than I would have expected coming of that injury, and I'm kind of glad he has been out there. I don't think he was ever going to just flip a switch and be back to where he was. He's going to have to work through it.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:40 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:i don't know where ya'll are headed but i'm going to the kitchen to get some more coffee.

Coffee?!

You?!

Hahahahahaha!

;-)

:lol: (the whiskey is in the desk drawer)
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:41 pm

chiefhog44 wrote: So I ask, how much longer until we are consistently good. I know you can't answer that, but give it a guess.

I know this wasn't targeted at me, but consistently good teams generally all have the same traits. They have franchise QBs who stay healthy, are committed to building via the draft (and draft succesfully), have quality ownership, and consistency at the coaching position.

While coaching consistency has something to do with the fact they're winning, the others aren't. The Pats, Indy, GB, Steelers, and Eagles were the top teams of the 2000s and they all had these things. You could say the same for BAL, especially when it came to its commitment to the draft.

What is interesting is that as soon as the Eagles started to do the things Snyder did in the 2000s, they're team when to crap.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:55 pm

oj wrote:I wish Andy Reid had come here.

why - Mike is a better HC than Andy and Andy Reid is a great HC

you can't just add players or coaches and think that things will be better because they are here rather than where they were - that's basically what Snyder and Cerrato tried

If Bill Cowher or Gruden had come here and Snyder and Cerrato had stayed, things would still be screwed up ...

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:05 pm

We have a lot of the same players and coaches that we had last year - actually IMHO, if anything we 'improved' over the team we had at the end of last season ...

so - why are we not seeing better play from this team this season :roll:

btw - I do not think there is anything physically wrong with RG3 and IMO the knee has not been an issue - his head and the game planning have affected his play

I'm looking for a lot more from these guys we have -I'll enjoy the free agents when they get here and IF they turn out to be good acquisitions - I'd prefer more draft picks

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football