Where are we headed here?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
**ch44
Posts: 2372
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:00 pm
Location: Chicago

Where are we headed here?

Postby chiefhog44 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:11 pm

I've been a patient guy. Often sticking up for Shanahan and the rest of the coaching staff, and even let them get away with some ugliness the first five games of the season because RG3 was recovering. But RG3 is playing better right now than at the end of last season when he was hurt, and this team still looks pretty bad. Yes, there is the cap hit, a new special teams coordinator, and an aging linebacker, but where is this going? We don't have the swagger from last year. I feel like we're just kind of floating right now with no direction and no leader.

In addition, I feel like there is some tension between coach and QB from last season. I feel like there is friction between Garcon and Griffin with the ridiculous comments made from earlier in the season. That would explain why they are not on the same page, and why they are always pissed at each other when there is a miscommunication. Wrong routes, poor throws etc. Just hope we can regain some swagger, because I just have an uneasy feeling right now. Not sure what to think about this. What is everyone chalking this up to? Griffin recovery, cap hit, coaching, draft picks, lack of talent?
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 760
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:16 pm

I don't really buy into the "inter-conflict" amongst RG3 & staff/players, but who knows, might explain the sudden lack of "chemistry" if you will.

Things were looking good in preseason as far as execution (weren't really playing top tier teams), but then suddenly everything feel apart.

They are slowly coming back together; I'd say that's where we're going, but what frustrates me is how did they manage to come undone in the first place?

RG3's legs look just as good as last year, but his throws were really off the mark. Frustrating to see, but honestly, he works too hard not to get back into throwing form. Could have just been an off game for him too (it happens).

I know I've said this before and I'd gladly eat my words if I'm wrong, but I think this year is a growing pains/learning year. Next year we'll make key upgrades and be where we should have been two years ago.

In the long haul, we'll be fine.

Many have said Kyle's plays are predictable; I agree. However, the real issue is that our WRs can't get open/catch consistently, and the o-line can't block. I truly believe that will be addressed next year.

If our defense would play, at their worst, they way they did against Dallas, I think 99% of our complaints would be about the o-line. This last game gave me relief that the defense will improve, but upgrades will be made next year.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 760
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:21 pm

Just stumbled upon this article. Seems that this was all in good fun though...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc- ... -function/

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1143
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:55 am

I definitely don't want Shanny to return after year 5. His record thus far with the Skins is horrendous.

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 1946
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby emoses14 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:57 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:I definitely don't want Shanny to return after year 5. His record thus far with the Skins is horrendous.


I agree that looking at 2 numbers (W-Ls) leads to this logical conclusion. But please help me understand in that conclusion how you are accounting for (i) the ungodly mess that this team, personnel wise (I mean starters, reserves and depth (ha!)), was when Mike got here, (ii) the dearth of draft picks in the first 1-2 years stemming from the moves that made (i) possible, (iii)the ungodly mess this team was in its scouting department, (iv) the ungodly mess we were cap wise, (v) the stolen $36 million over the last 2 years, and (vi) the time it takes to fix (i), (ii) and (iii) and unlock the handcuffs placed on us as a result of (iv) and especially (v). Because the fact that he managed to win as many games as he has in these 4 years, taking into account (i)-(vi), is impressive to me.

I know that the product on the field this year is particularly frustrating in light of what we saw last year, but the warts of the rebuilding that was still going on last year were covered up by the miraculous play of Robert and Alfred, to a lesser degree. This year, there ain't as much lipstick on that pig. However, I'm still fully willing to give Mike the full benefit of this year and how we improve (yes we are improving still) as Robert gets back to full strength (health, comfort, etc.). I see getting rid of Mike as certain to be 5 steps back, whereas retaining him will continue the forward progress.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

**LPJ**
Posts: 6350
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:42 am

i don't know where ya'll are headed but i'm going to the kitchen to get some more coffee.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

FanFromAnnapolis
Posts: 11034
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:01 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: Where are we headed here?

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:49 am

chiefhog44 wrote:I've been a patient guy. Often sticking up for Shanahan and the rest of the coaching staff, and even let them get away with some ugliness the first five games of the season because RG3 was recovering. But RG3 is playing better right now than at the end of last season when he was hurt, and this team still looks pretty bad. Yes, there is the cap hit, a new special teams coordinator, and an aging linebacker, but where is this going? We don't have the swagger from last year. I feel like we're just kind of floating right now with no direction and no leader.

In addition, I feel like there is some tension between coach and QB from last season. I feel like there is friction between Garcon and Griffin with the ridiculous comments made from earlier in the season. That would explain why they are not on the same page, and why they are always pissed at each other when there is a miscommunication. Wrong routes, poor throws etc. Just hope we can regain some swagger, because I just have an uneasy feeling right now. Not sure what to think about this. What is everyone chalking this up to? Griffin recovery, cap hit, coaching, draft picks, lack of talent?


I really don't get what your complaint is supposed to be. Were you unhappy with where we were headed as of the end of the regular season last year? Are you unsure of what Shanahan is doing to build a team with the potential to be successful in the long-term? What specifically is your problem? The substance I can extract from your post comes down to this:

(1) Griffin doesn't look good to you. This is a strange complaint, because he's had huge improvement in his mechanics and ability to throw the ball from week 1, and he's still recovering/healing from major surgery. If you are serious when you say he looks worse now than he did in our playoff loss . . . well, OK, then I guess my advice is that you should just wait until he's "magically" better a few months from now.

(2) "Swagger." I don't even know what this means. The truth is that it's a pretty thin margin between (most) good teams and (most) bad teams in the NFL. People typically attribute "swagger" as some force that helps teams go one way or the other, but that's essentially bunk. We worked ourselves slightly over that line by the end of last year, and now we're on the wrong side of it. I see a team that's working to try to get back to where it was. Perhaps that will turn into "swagger" once they are successful, but again I don't know what that means, anyway.

(3) Tension. These are just unsubstantiated suspicions, and I'd prefer to see actual conflicts before concluding we have a locker room problem. When it comes to this kind of thing, winning cures all, anyway. We did it before and we'll do it again.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1649
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:44 am
Location: Houston, TX

Postby markshark84 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:55 am

Honestly, if Garcon's comments got RGIII's panties in a bunch --- then we have big problems on our hands. There have always been whispers that RGIII is a premadonna and can't take criticiszm. If there is a rift between the 2 --- then that is most likely accurate. RGIII is the QB and needs to be above that. Regardless, RGIII doesn't appear to be the leader he was last year. I hope this is a humbling experience for RGIII and will make him stronger having been thru it. He needs to.

As far as the legs and arms of RGIII ---- his legs nor his arm is as good as it was last year..... and I didn't expect them to. He is progressing; which is all we can ask for. That said, I'm not 100% sure he'll get back to 2012 form; we'll see. He isn't the same leader we saw last year -- but I think everyone sees that. He needs to be a leader even when things are down.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1143
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:12 pm

emoses14 wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:I definitely don't want Shanny to return after year 5. His record thus far with the Skins is horrendous.


I agree that looking at 2 numbers (W-Ls) leads to this logical conclusion. But please help me understand in that conclusion how you are accounting for (i) the ungodly mess that this team, personnel wise (I mean starters, reserves and depth (ha!)), was when Mike got here, (ii) the dearth of draft picks in the first 1-2 years stemming from the moves that made (i) possible, (iii)the ungodly mess this team was in its scouting department, (iv) the ungodly mess we were cap wise, (v) the stolen $36 million over the last 2 years, and (vi) the time it takes to fix (i), (ii) and (iii) and unlock the handcuffs placed on us as a result of (iv) and especially (v). Because the fact that he managed to win as many games as he has in these 4 years, taking into account (i)-(vi), is impressive to me.

I know that the product on the field this year is particularly frustrating in light of what we saw last year, but the warts of the rebuilding that was still going on last year were covered up by the miraculous play of Robert and Alfred, to a lesser degree. This year, there ain't as much lipstick on that pig. However, I'm still fully willing to give Mike the full benefit of this year and how we improve (yes we are improving still) as Robert gets back to full strength (health, comfort, etc.). I see getting rid of Mike as certain to be 5 steps back, whereas retaining him will continue the forward progress.

Even with the he inherited, I just don't think the guy is a smart coach. It seems like every year there's been some sort of issue with the players. First it was McNabb, then it was the Grossman/Beck debacle, and now it's the whole crap with keeping Griffin in when he should have pulled him. I just don't like the guy.

FanFromAnnapolis
Posts: 11034
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:01 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:40 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:Even with the he inherited, I just don't think the guy is a smart coach. It seems like every year there's been some sort of issue with the players.


First it was McNabb

An actual miscalculation / mistake.

then it was the Grossman/Beck debacle

Neither were ever going to be our long-term starter. Shanahan was waiting on a permanent solution to the QB position. Problem solved.

and now it's the whole crap with keeping Griffin in when he should have pulled him.

To whatever extent there was mismanagement, that's been fully resolved, IMO. That the Washington Post was able to keep this nonstory alive for so long is actually impressive.

I just don't like the guy.

That much is clear. ;)
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4517
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Postby riggofan » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:45 pm

I don't have any problem with what chiefhog wrote above or really any of your comments.

Personally though, I've just had enough of the constant turnover. We've all acknowledged that Shanahan inherited an abomination of a roster. We didn't have a QB. And there is no arguing that the two year cap penalty has prevented them from bringing in some much needed help.

I don't have any doubt that Shanahan has a plan and direction he believes in. I want to see that job finished. If we need to make a coaching change then, at least I think we'll have a capable roster and a more professional organization for the next coaching staff.

I'm not letting Shanahan completely off the hook btw. He has clearly made some mistakes along the way. McNabb obviously. I don't know that switching to the 4-3 was a great idea with all of our other issues.

He still had an impressive and almost unbelievable playoff run last year though. Whatever happens this year, I'd like to see him back next year without the cap penalty and keep moving forward. I have no interest in starting all over again with the next Steve Spurrier, Jim Zorn, etc;

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13150
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:59 pm

We have guys in charge that know what they are doing and things are not near as bad as many here are making them out to be

I am not and never was a fan of Mike Shanahan as a HC but he's here and he won the NFC East last year

hopefully, we do not go back to the turnover of players and coaches like we used to
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1143
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:05 pm

There is no way Shanahan comes back after year 5 if we have another losing record.

Hog
Posts: 2145
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:05 pm
Location: Midland, VA

Postby Kilmer72 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:50 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:There is no way Shanahan comes back after year 5 if we have another losing record.


Keep your fingers crossed and hope that doesn't happen. Then it would take another coach and staff to dismantle the team and yet another 5 years to hope they are better.

This year isn't over. Next year we should finally have FA coming in to plug holes the draft can't.

I was never a huge fan of Shanahan but his scheme seems to do well against the Giants. I was never a fan of the 34 defense especially since we had a decent 43 defense. It is what it is.... Lets not be too quick to oust this regime.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 793
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:44 am
Location: Italy

Postby everydayAskinsday » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:09 pm

markshark84 wrote:Honestly, if Garcon's comments got RGIII's panties in a bunch --- then we have big problems on our hands. There have always been whispers that RGIII is a premadonna and can't take criticiszm. If there is a rift between the 2 --- then that is most likely accurate. RGIII is the QB and needs to be above that. Regardless, RGIII doesn't appear to be the leader he was last year. I hope this is a humbling experience for RGIII and will make him stronger having been thru it. He needs to.

As far as the legs and arms of RGIII ---- his legs nor his arm is as good as it was last year..... and I didn't expect them to. He is progressing; which is all we can ask for. That said, I'm not 100% sure he'll get back to 2012 form; we'll see. He isn't the same leader we saw last year -- but I think everyone sees that. He needs to be a leader even when things are down.


I have been hoping that the silver lining out of this terrible start by the Redskins would help to humble RG3 a bit as well but he just doesnt seem to get it.. his comments about how every QB in this league misses throws just rubs me the wrong way.. maybe it is just me

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc- ... o-play-qb/

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football