Post game Skins @ Dallas

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4524
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Postby riggofan » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:22 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:I think he just likes breaking my balls for some reason, maybe because I criticize our coveted offense.


I could care less about breaking your balls. If the whole of your "criticism" of the offense is "they suck", seriously what's the point?

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4524
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Postby riggofan » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:23 am

BTW Weren't you the guy on here two years ago telling us all how we need John Beck starting so we could start winning games?

lol.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1151
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:52 am

Hmmm....you go from:
riggofan wrote:I could care less about breaking your balls.

To...
riggofan wrote:BTW Weren't you the guy on here two years ago telling us all how we need John Beck starting so we could start winning games?

lol.

Gotcha.

I've also admitted I was wrong on that. I thought he would be lightyears ahead of the god-awful Grossman, but that was dead wrong. At least Beck/Grossman could score TD's in the first half, unlike the person not to be criticized.

And yes, if you can't score TD's in the first half, your offense sucks. Sucks as in they cannot score TD's. As in execution.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1652
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:44 am
Location: Houston, TX

Postby markshark84 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:32 am

riggofan wrote:
markshark84 wrote:
riggofan wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:
riggofan wrote:It looked to me like we get conservative and/or cute with the play calling when we get in scoring position. I think the scoring problem has a lot more to do with play calling than just "our offense sucks".

Players have to execute the plays. With the exception of Morris, they did not. We've now played a total of ten quarters in the first half, and managed to only score one offensive touchdown. You don't see a recurring problem here?


Yeah I'm sure you're right. Everybody on our offense just sucks. :roll:

Oh except Alfred Morris because he did get that touchdown. ROTFALMAO


Honestly, I would like to know your thought process behind how you jumped to the conclusion that mormon is saying that everyone except Morris sucks....... it'd be an interesting read --- especially when you are the one that points fingers to other about "oversimplification".

The dude was clearly talking about execution and not talent. Take a second read. This offense clearly has talent --- they are just not executing. We have too many penalties, don't take advantage of defensive mistakes, don't complete plays from snap to whistle, etc.

While I do agree with you about KS playing calling and special teams, I don't think you understand what mormon is saying.


I don't really know how to respond to this. THIS is what storminmoron wrote yesterday:

"Our offense is awful, top to bottom. "

"It is not a simplification to state that our offense sucks. It is fact."

I don't really know how you get "our offense has talent but they're not executing" from "our offense sucks".


Rrrrrrriiiiiiggghhhtt.

Didn't read the entire thread. If that's what he said, I can understand your thought process on that. The only way it would differ is if that first statement was related to execution (i.e., awful at execution opposed to awful talent-wise) --- but I'm not going to go back and check on that. I'll take your word for it.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4524
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Postby riggofan » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:13 am

markshark84 wrote:Didn't read the entire thread. If that's what he said, I can understand your thought process on that. The only way it would differ is if that first statement was related to execution (i.e., awful at execution opposed to awful talent-wise) --- but I'm not going to go back and check on that. I'll take your word for it.


I mean, to be fair, "our offense sucks" is an opinion. I just don't think its a very interesting opinion. What does it leave to discuss?

There were some good things that happened with the offense on Sunday. I thought Jordan Reed stood out. RGIII looked more like himself the way he was running. He ran for 77 yards and really should have had a rushing TD. We were much better on third down.

Obviously none of that changes the bad stuff on offense. He threw too many passes way off target and some wobbly passes. Offensive line problems. Seemed like it took forever to get the running game going. That terrible fumble.

Anyway whatever. I just don't think this is the Rex Grossman Redskins team that just sucks and has no hope of improving.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1652
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:44 am
Location: Houston, TX

Postby markshark84 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:13 pm

riggofan wrote:
markshark84 wrote:Didn't read the entire thread. If that's what he said, I can understand your thought process on that. The only way it would differ is if that first statement was related to execution (i.e., awful at execution opposed to awful talent-wise) --- but I'm not going to go back and check on that. I'll take your word for it.


I mean, to be fair, "our offense sucks" is an opinion. I just don't think its a very interesting opinion. What does it leave to discuss?

There were some good things that happened with the offense on Sunday. I thought Jordan Reed stood out. RGIII looked more like himself the way he was running. He ran for 77 yards and really should have had a rushing TD. We were much better on third down.

Obviously none of that changes the bad stuff on offense. He threw too many passes way off target and some wobbly passes. Offensive line problems. Seemed like it took forever to get the running game going. That terrible fumble.

Anyway whatever. I just don't think this is the Rex Grossman Redskins team that just sucks and has no hope of improving.


As far as your first comment ---- that is one of my major issues with posters. A lot of time they just issue an opinion, claim it as fact and don't provide any support -- and then are angry when I disagree with facts.

I do think that mormon is correct in his second assertion that our offense is not executing well. I personally believe that is the reason why we only put up an average of around 15 ppg --- while being 10th in both rushing and passing this year. Scoring is a HUGE cause for concern. I think some of that has to do with play calling, but more with how different RGIII is last year vs. this year --- and all that goes with that.

As far as whether this is a team that is "Grossmanlike" --- I think the majority of our "hope for improvement" is based on the fact RGIII will get better. I 100% believe he's improving, but am not sold that he will ever again be the QB he was in 2012. Now if RGIII doesn't show even more improvement over the next 5-10 weeks, we'll be in that "Grossmanlike" position.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1151
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:13 pm

riggofan wrote:Anyway whatever. I just don't think this is the Rex Grossman Redskins team that just sucks and has no hope of improving.

I don't think anyone on here has said there is no hope of improving. Have I said the season is over? No. Have I said our offense sucks? Yes. Because they do, thus far. You can't keep kicking field goals and turning the ball over and expect to win games. The only time we've scored an offensive touchdown this year was when we were already down. That needs to change. And despite what some people think, our offense has been playing awful football all year. Driving down the field is irrelevant if you can't score the TD in the red zone.

|||||||
Posts: 4566
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:11 pm
Location: Somewhere, out there.

Postby UK Skins Fan » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:17 pm

My post game thoughts? We stink.

End of.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4524
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Postby riggofan » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:35 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote: Driving down the field is irrelevant if you can't score the TD in the red zone.


Let's agree on that!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1151
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:41 pm

riggofan wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote: Driving down the field is irrelevant if you can't score the TD in the red zone.


Let's agree on that!

I honestly don't think our opinions are that far away from each others. Both of us believe the offense can improve, and I believe we both agree that the season is not over yet. I do however question Griffin's improvement, because a lot of his mistakes have been mental, IMO. If he's still playing medicore come week 12, I think we are in some serious trouble.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4524
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Postby riggofan » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:44 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:
riggofan wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote: Driving down the field is irrelevant if you can't score the TD in the red zone.


Let's agree on that!

I honestly don't think our opinions are that far away from each others. Both of us believe the offense can improve, and I believe we both agree that the season is not over yet. I do however question Griffin's improvement, because a lot of his mistakes have been mental, IMO. If he's still playing medicore come week 12, I think we are in some serious trouble.


I get that. I don't think he was lights out against Dallas or anything, but honestly in that first game v. Philly I thought he looked about as comfortable as he did playing against the Seahawks with his knee shredded.

This whole thing is tough though. I can argue all I want that RGIII looks more like his old self. That's not going to change the fact that we have Denver, Chicago, KC, 49ers, etc; all coming up in the next few weeks. Man, it is REALLY hard to see where we're going to get a win and turn this thing around.

Pushing Paper
Posts: 4594
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:01 pm

Postby PulpExposure » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:03 pm

markshark84 wrote:As far as whether this is a team that is "Grossmanlike" --- I think the majority of our "hope for improvement" is based on the fact RGIII will get better. I 100% believe he's improving, but am not sold that he will ever again be the QB he was in 2012.


I actually hope this experience is teaching him more to read defenses and slide around in the pocket, instead of just taking off. Then he'd be an even better QB than last year. The future lies as a passing QB with mobility, not a mobile QB with passing. It's a mindset change, and is asking him to do something he's never had to do before. I do see signs of it...his movement in the always collapsing pocket against Dallas was extremely encouraging.

However, in that game, he was inaccurate, when he's normally extremely accurate. And that was not encouraging. But as that was his first game under 50% completion, I suspect (and hope) that's just a bad game, not a trend.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 456
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 8:02 am
Location: under there

Postby (d)oink » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:49 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:My post game thoughts? We stink.

End of.


If thats your opinion its wrong. If thats a fact you're right and I agree with you.
What the....

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1151
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:34 pm

riggofan wrote: I can argue all I want that RGIII looks more like his old self. That's not going to change the fact that we have Denver, Chicago, KC, 49ers, etc; all coming up in the next few weeks. Man, it is REALLY hard to see where we're going to get a win and turn this thing around.

You see, that's where I don't see how Griffin is turning into the Griffin from 2012. Remember against the Saints last year in week 1? No one thought we would win that one. Some may have thought (including myself) that we would hold our own and them lose a close one, but Griffin came out guns blazin' and destroyed them. That's the Griffin I want to see back. Not even the gimpy Griffin towards the end of 2012, who relied more on Morris rather than his passing. I just haven't seen any glimpses of the Griffin of 2012, outside of a few runs and a couple of missed deep throws.

|||||||
Posts: 4566
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:11 pm
Location: Somewhere, out there.

Postby UK Skins Fan » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:35 am

(d)oink wrote:
UK Skins Fan wrote:My post game thoughts? We stink.

End of.


If thats your opinion its wrong. If thats a fact you're right and I agree with you.


The fact is that it's both. In my opinion ;-)

Our record certainly suggests that it's fact. I refuse to delude myself into thinking that we've been unlucky, that it's entirely down to RG3's "rust", that we were unlucky to play the Eagles first up, that the Lions were just a bad matchup for us, that it was just a couple of special teams breakdowns that cost us against the Cowboys.

In isolation, there MIGHT be some truth in all those factors. But when all are taken together, the only conclusion is that the Redskins just aren't good enough to overcome any kind of obstacle or "bad luck". In other words, they're not very good.

In the recent history of the Redskins, it was last year's season-ending charge that was the aberration - the brief moment of excellence in a long, turgid spell of crappiness.

Still, the NFL is a crazy league these days, and there's always next year.....
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football