The Loser Papers - 2013 Edition

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
JSPB22

The Loser Papers - 2013 Edition

Postby Deadskins » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:27 am

Well, it took a little longer than I had hoped, but we finally got the presses rolling for the 2013 edition of The Loser Papers. For the uninitiated, TLP consists of articles from the hometown newspapers of the Redskins' vanquished foes. It is here where you hear the other side of the story. You know, how the [team name here] shot themselves in the foot, or were robbed by the refs, or any of the other countless reasons why they lost to the Redskins.

So, without further ado, I bring you an article from the Oakland Tribune:

Oakland Raiders lose to Washington
By Jerry McDonald

Oakland Raiders' Rashad Jennings (27) blocks a punt against Washington Redskins' Sav Rocca (6) in the first quarter at the O.co Coliseum, Calif. on Sunday, Sept. 29, 2013. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)

OAKLAND -- What started as a potentially uplifting day ended when the remnants of a home crowd of 53,549 vented its frustration upon the Raiders on Sunday at O.co Coliseum.

"We let 'em down," safety Charles Woodson said after a 24-14 loss to Washington "You heard the boos. For any team in the league, to hear your home fans boo, that's hard."

Terrelle Pryor sat out the game to further recover from a concussion, and two other crowd favorites -- running back Darren McFadden and fullback Marcel Reece -- left in the second-quarter with injuries and did not return.

Most of the boo birds were targeting quarterback Matt Flynn, who turned the ball over twice and failed to move the ball after the Raiders jumped to a 14-0 lead in the first quarter.

Oakland Raiders' starting quarterback Matt Flynn (15) throws against the Washington Redskins in the first quarter at the O.co Coliseum, Calif. on Sunday, Sept. 29, 2013. (Nhat V. Meyer)

It started during pregame warm-ups, when Flynn was announced as the starter after coach Dennis Allen determined Saturday night that Pryor needed at least another week before playing.

But the house was rocking a short time later when Rashad Jennings blocked a Sav Rocca punt and Jeremy Stewart pounced on it in the end zone with 10:40 to play in the first quarter.

It got even louder when Flynn found rookie tight end Mychal Rivera for an 18-yard touchdown with 3:06 left in the quarter.

Flush with momentum, the Raiders (1-3) gave it all back and then some, with a gift interception from Flynn landing in the hands of Don Amerson for a 45-yard touchdown return and getting Washington within 14-10 with 10:59 left in the second quarter.

With the Raiders unable to move the ball and continually giving Washington chances, the visitors got second-half touchdowns on a 5-yard pass from Robert Griffin III to Pierre Garcon and a 14-yard run by Roy Helu, sending home both the fans and the home team disappointed.

"That one stung," Allen said. "The way we were able to start the game, block a punt, get it to 14-0 and have all the momentum ... then we let 'em back in the game."

And while the usual protocol finds an NFL coach finding ways to spread the blame equally after a loss, Allen conceded, "I thought our defense and special teams, they held their own. They did some good things."

Flynn was 21 of 32 for 227 yards with one touchdown, the interception for a touchdown and two fumbles, one that he lost and one that he recovered on a fourth-and-1 play to give Washington the ball on downs.

Washington (1-3) had seven sacks, in part because Flynn was reluctant to let the ball go and also because defenders came hard and fast knowing they weren't concerned with Pryor getting outside for big yardage.

The touchdown by Amerson, which Woodson said "let the air out of the bubble" while the Raiders were leading 14-3, was telegraphed from the start.

"When you lock down in that split, it's pretty obvious you know where he's going to run," Amerson said. "I just wanted to make sure I was close enough to the receiver and make a play."

In 12 possessions after the Raiders led 14-0, the closest they got to scoring was a missed 52-yard field goal by Sebastian Janikowski in the third quarter.

"We just couldn't get anything else going," Allen said. "Obviously, losing McFadden and Marcel hurt, but we've got to find a way to get some more offense going."

After an encouraging three games in terms of moving the ball with Pryor at quarterback, the Raiders were under 300 yards of total offense for the first time this season against a team that came in giving up 488.0 yards per game -- the most in the NFL.

The Raiders were 5 for 17 on third-down conversions, and two of those came on Flynn passes of 6 yards to Brice Butler on third-and-4 and 12 yards to Jennings on third-and-8 in their 10-play, 81-yard touchdown drive.

"We started out pretty well," Flynn said. "They made some adjustments on defense; after that we weren't converting third downs, and that was obviously the big issue."

Woodson had no issue with the fans booing and said, "If we continue to do what we did at points in today's game, we're going to hear those boos. It ain't going to stop."

http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders/ci ... washington
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:39 am

Here's another:

No Oakland Raiders quarterback controversy here -- Terrelle Pryor is the best they've got
By Tim Kawakami

OAKLAND -- The proof was everywhere on Sunday, the details were glaring, and the proper pained conclusion was beyond question.

Terrelle Pryor isn't just the Raiders' best quarterback, he's the only one.

He's it, and Matt Flynn absolutely isn't.

If nothing else, the Raiders' gut-shot 24-14 loss to Washington at the Coliseum proved one franchise-focusing thing:

By not playing Sunday, Pryor loomed larger than he ever has and maybe ever will, and by playing the way he did, Flynn has never seemed smaller.

"Listen, Matt didn't play well and we have to move on," coach Dennis Allen said of Flynn's shaky performance.

"We have to get better from that, so hopefully we'll be ready to go for San Diego (next Sunday)" when Pryor is expected to be back.

On Sunday, Pryor was held out as a precaution after suffering a concussion a week earlier, and the result was a Raiders offense that plunged into a deep, dark chasm.

Of course, Pryor is far from a finished product and may not even keep this job beyond 2013. He's a wild-card, a dynamic question mark.

But for now, Pryor is the only quarterback who gives the Raiders hope, and Sunday the hope was not in uniform.

The care Allen and his staff took to keep him under wraps on Sunday is another sign: They can't risk damaging their best quarterback, so they kept him out Sunday.

So Pryor watched from the sideline in a black sweater, cheered wildly when the Raiders went up 14-0, and then was helpless while Flynn and the rest of the team imploded.

There were terrible Flynn throws. There was the egregious Flynn interception that David Amerson returned for a touchdown to cut the Raiders' lead to 14-10.

There were the seven times Flynn was sacked, some of them because of quarterback indecision, Allen said.

And there were boos from the Coliseum crowd -- constant, angry, loud and undeniable.

"Yeah, it's hard not to hear it," Flynn said. "You just try to focus on your job and do what you can. It's definitely hard not to hear."

Flynn's stats: 21 for 32 for 227 yards and a touchdown to Mychal Rivera to finish a great early drive to go up 14-0 after the Raiders had earlier scored on a blocked punt.

Then Darren McFadden and Marcel Reece both were lost to injuries, Flynn started getting swamped by the Washington pass rush, and the whole Raiders offense buckled and broke.

And the boos came.

"Yeah, that's not cool at all," tackle Khalif Barnes said of the Flynn cat-calls. "The guy puts in a lot of blood and sweat and he prepares hard and he works hard. It's never just one guy.

"I really don't like when that goes on. He's not the sole reason of what happened today.

Raiders' quarterback Terrelle Pryor on the sideline against the Redskins, Sept. 29, 2013. (Nhat V. Meyer, Bay Area News Group)

"I could've done some things I could've done better. A lot of guys could've done some things they could've done better. We all take ownership. It's never just on one guy."

Sometimes home-crowd boos are silly and irrelevant. Sometimes they're just mean and reckless.

On this Sunday, the boos were the logical primal scream of Raider Nation: No more Flynn! (Who by the way is making $6.5 million this season and was brought in initially to be the starter. Whew.) Without saying it exactly, I think after the game Allen was essentially in frustrated agreement.

If Pryor can't play Sunday or if he is hurt again later, I think we'll see current third-stringer Matt McGloin at quarterback for the Raiders, not Flynn.

"Obviously, I don't think he saw the field very good today," Allen said of Flynn.

"I think he was obviously part of some of the sacks that we gave up in the game. It was a tough situation for him to go into, obviously with the loss of McFadden and Reece, that didn't help him out any ... Offensively we didn't get it done, and that's really the bottom line."

To his credit, Flynn stoically answered every question at his locker Sunday. But he still looked a little shell shocked and sounded washed out.

Did he agree with Allen's assessment that he wasn't seeing the field?

"I don't know -- I felt like I was seeing things fairly well," Flynn said. "I didn't think I wasn't seeing the field well. Just didn't make the plays."

He played, and no Raiders fan wants to see him do it again. Pryor didn't play, and the Raiders have to hope and believe he'll be ready Sunday, and into the future.

Because suddenly this whole franchise rides on Pryor's shoulders, at least for now. There is no other quarterback worth playing, or watching, or cheering.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/tim-kawaka ... e-terrelle

Hail to the Redskins!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:46 am

Awesomeness !
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:22 am

It is funny how both articles made it seam like the "Don" Amerson pick six was all Flynns fault and gave no credit to David Amerson (or to the ref that picked the Raiders' WR).

No, the falut was all on Flynn, yet they didn't mention they got a gift with their first TD when the Perry Riley used the "ole" blocking technique on the rusher giving the Raiders a gift TD

Or the gift they got on the play prior to their second TD when Orakpo "Carlos Rogered" what should have been an INT and possibly a pick six. (on a side note Rob Jackson catches that ball and houses it)
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:29 am

Amerson read the play, and positioned himself to make a play SHOULD IT come his way. It did... He did... and HE should get credit... it was an excellent defensive play. It was the kind of thing that quarterbacks don't start to see well until they have lots of time under center, true... but that would have happened to Pryor in exactly the same circumstance... Amerson would have read the route, and undercut it.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:48 am

Countertrey wrote:Amerson read the play, and positioned himself to make a play SHOULD IT come his way. It did... He did... and HE should get credit... it was an excellent defensive play. It was the kind of thing that quarterbacks don't start to see well until they have lots of time under center, true... but that would have happened to Pryor in exactly the same circumstance... Amerson would have read the route, and undercut it.

Nope. If Pryor had played, that play would have been a touchdown, no doubt. If Pryor plays, obviously the skins lose. It is idiocy to deny this.

:roll:
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:53 am

^^^ Missing sarcasm tags?

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:57 am

^^ I can never decide between "the eye roll" or "/sarcasm".

But, yes.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:12 pm

emoses14 wrote:
Countertrey wrote:Amerson read the play, and positioned himself to make a play SHOULD IT come his way. It did... He did... and HE should get credit... it was an excellent defensive play. It was the kind of thing that quarterbacks don't start to see well until they have lots of time under center, true... but that would have happened to Pryor in exactly the same circumstance... Amerson would have read the route, and undercut it.

Nope. If Pryor had played, that play would have been a touchdown, no doubt. If Pryor plays, obviously the skins lose. It is idiocy to deny this.

Welllllllllll...

It WAS a touchdown...

just sayin".... :twisted:

Hog

Postby TimSkin » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:32 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote: Or the gift they got on the play prior to their second TD when Orakpo "Carlos Rogered" what should have been an INT and possibly a pick six. (on a side note Rob Jackson catches that ball and houses it)

I remember last year against the Saints in the first game of the year when Brees didn't see Orakpo drop back into coverage and threw a ball right in the middle of 98 and it just bounced right off his hands. They should spend every practice with this guy focusing on his coverage skills and working with the jugs machine.
HTTR!!!!!!!!!!!!

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:33 pm

emoses14 wrote:

I live here in California. My brother is a devoted Raiders fan. I know Pryors skill set. Passing is not one of them. I have seen plenty of Raiders football. Pryor is the better runner Flynn is the better passer.

Flynn presented the Redskins defense with a problem since we did not have film on him yet. We had film on Pryor who is mainly a scrambler. Much like Tim Tebow but faster yet a lil thinner.

Pryor rarely makes accurate throws. He is fast and can run. Thats about it.
So basically our defense would be trying to stop the running QB who cant pass worth a lick.

Thats a much easier task then trying to stop a passing game. I seriously doubt you have even watched Pryor play to make such an assumption to how we would of lost had Pryor played? I say it would of been worse had Pryor played.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Postby skinsfan#33 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:26 pm

TimSkin wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote: Or the gift they got on the play prior to their second TD when Orakpo "Carlos Rogered" what should have been an INT and possibly a pick six. (on a side note Rob Jackson catches that ball and houses it)

I remember last year against the Saints in the first game of the year when Brees didn't see Orakpo drop back into coverage and threw a ball right in the middle of 98 and it just bounced right off his hands. They should spend every practice with this guy focusing on his coverage skills and working with the jugs machine.

Hopefully it's all academic since Rob Jackson is coming back and the next time a lb drops back in that area it will be Jackson.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:29 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:
emoses14 wrote:

I live here in California. My brother is a devoted Raiders fan. I know Pryors skill set. Passing is not one of them. I have seen plenty of Raiders football. Pryor is the better runner Flynn is the better passer.

Flynn presented the Redskins defense with a problem since we did not have film on him yet. We had film on Pryor who is mainly a scrambler. Much like Tim Tebow but faster yet a lil thinner.

So basically our defense would be trying to stop the running QB who cant pass worth a lick.

Thats a much easier task then trying to stop a passing game. I seriously doubt you have even watched Pryor play to make such an assumption to how we would of lost had Pryor played? I say it would of been worse had Pryor played.

Not gonna bust your balls about this response. It makes sense if you responded to it before you read the 2 after it. I was being sarcastic.

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:21 pm

Nice to finally read some loser papers....pretty much said what I was thinking, Flynn is pretty bad. Of course, Beck was still worse IMHO....
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:38 pm

emoses14 wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:
emoses14 wrote:

Not gonna bust your balls about this response. It makes sense if you responded to it before you read the 2 after it. I was being sarcastic.
No slack... cut no slack! :twisted:

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football