Postgame thread: Nothing to get worked up over

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby oneman56 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:29 pm

riggofan wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:Until Robert is 100%, we're going to struggle pretty significantly. I honestly don't expect a huge improvement this week in the offenses effectiveness.

I don't blame you for that comment, and you're probably right in the larger scheme of things. But don't you think we can improve the offense effectiveness significantly just by not turning the ball over on our first three possessions this Sunday?

That seems like something we actually CAN fix this week, could make a difference to both the offense and defense, and doesn't rest solely on RGIII.

Anybody have any insight into Robert's body language? To me, and i've seen a few other comments as well, he didn't look like himself. His last few pressers he's seemed off, almost tuned out a bit. Hopefully i'm just reading into that too much and there's nothing there but i'm curiuos to see how he acts this week at the game. I want to see that borderline cocky, super-confident, always smiling guy back behind center.

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:40 pm

riggofan wrote:
markshark84 wrote:
riggofan wrote:I'm not going to say I don't have some concerns, but seriously, you can't get too upset or too excited about a week 1 game. You guys know better.

My biggest concerns from the game last night were probably the penalties and maybe the o-line play. Regardless of all the other factors in that game, way too many penalties.

Was anyone excited after last year's week 1 game??????

I know I was.

I was too, and that was exactly my point. We came out in week one and took it to the highly favored Saints and everybody got crazy excited. Then we proceeded to lose SIX of our next EIGHT games. I doubt you were feeling as excited around week 9 after we just got embarrassed at home by the Panthers.

I'm not saying we were wrong to get excited then or that you're wrong to get upset now. I said we should know better than to get TOO excited or upset after week 1.

I appreciate your six question marks though.

I guess I looked at the comment differently.

How I saw it was that we were excited after the first game because it was CLEAR what we had in RGIII and our offense (a 32 point D wasn't much to get excited about....). It was the resurrection of an offense that had been historically stagnant for quite some time.

And what we saw in that first game didn't deviate much throughout the entire season. In the 2-6 games, our offense averaged just over 28 points. In our 6-0 run, our team averaged.....just over 28 points.

We were excited because we saw an offense that could maintain consistency, depth, and had the talent to produce week by week. All the signs were there.

I'm not sure how you can't get upset about a week 1 game --- especially based on last year and how indicative it was of our entire offensive season.

No return comment on my OL response?????? :wink:
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:18 pm

riggofan wrote:I don't blame you for that comment, and you're probably right in the larger scheme of things. But don't you think we can improve the offense effectiveness significantly just by not turning the ball over on our first three possessions this Sunday?

That seems like something we actually CAN fix this week, could make a difference to both the offense and defense, and doesn't rest solely on RGIII.

Yes, it'll improve to a degree. A few degrees of improvement isn't what it'll take to beat arguably the best QB in the league.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:43 pm

riggofan wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:Until Robert is 100%, we're going to struggle pretty significantly. I honestly don't expect a huge improvement this week in the offenses effectiveness.

I don't blame you for that comment, and you're probably right in the larger scheme of things. But don't you think we can improve the offense effectiveness significantly just by not turning the ball over on our first three possessions this Sunday?

Excellent point. Still don't think RGIII is still 100% mentally or physically though.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:13 pm

Gb d is an area of concern for them.. Clay can't do it all...
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:21 pm

Everyone compares RGIII to Peterson. But, look at Peterson's 2012 stats. He didn't hit his stride until Week 7.

It's going to take RGIII some time before he regains his burst and explosiveness. Peterson only hit 100 yards ONCE in weeks 1-7, even then he totalled 102 yards.

In Weeks 8-16, he went over 100 NINE times. Of those nine, he went over 150 yards SIX times. Including 4 games over 175 yards, and 2 games over 200.

In short, he exploded about 2 months into the season, but started relatively slowly.

RGIII will probably hit his stride (as far as running & getting his legs back) in a similar way.

In short, KEEP CALM
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:03 pm

markshark84 wrote:How I saw it was that we were excited after the first game because it was CLEAR what we had in RGIII and our offense (a 32 point D wasn't much to get excited about....). It was the resurrection of an offense that had been historically stagnant for quite some time.

And what we saw in that first game didn't deviate much throughout the entire season. In the 2-6 games, our offense averaged just over 28 points. In our 6-0 run, our team averaged.....just over 28 points.

We were excited because we saw an offense that could maintain consistency, depth, and had the talent to produce week by week. All the signs were there.

hah. I mean, I agree with you about RGIII from week 1 obviously. If nothing else it was clear in that Saints game that we at least had a better QB than Rex or Beck.

Not sure I can quite agree with you about that 2-6 run that followed, especially this stuff about "average points". We still had six losses and the last two we scored 12 and 13 points.

Anyway, personally I'm going take a look at the first four games or so before I decide to get massively upset or crazy excited.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:02 pm

The Hogster wrote:Everyone compares RGIII to Peterson. But, look at Peterson's 2012 stats. He didn't hit his stride until Week 7.

It's going to take RGIII some time before he regains his burst and explosiveness. Peterson only hit 100 yards ONCE in weeks 1-7, even then he totalled 102 yards.

In Weeks 8-16, he went over 100 NINE times. Of those nine, he went over 150 yards SIX times. Including 4 games over 175 yards, and 2 games over 200.

In short, he exploded about 2 months into the season, but started relatively slowly.

RGIII will probably hit his stride (as far as running & getting his legs back) in a similar way.

In short, KEEP CALM

Yes. As AP said himself several weeks in last year: "I'm still healing."
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:21 pm

The Hogster wrote:
In short, KEEP CALM

:up:
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:05 pm

markshark84 wrote:RGIII is clearly not confident on his knee. That was obvious when he would come up from a hit holding it ---- even when not being hit on that knee.

When did you see that? I don't remember that ever happening even once. If it had, I would have been going nuts with worry. His problem was his footwork. He wasn't planting and following through on his throws. That is a sign that he's not 100% confident in the knee, but not a sign that there was any pain there.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:20 am

The Hogster wrote:Everyone compares RGIII to Peterson. But, look at Peterson's 2012 stats. He didn't hit his stride until Week 7.

In short, KEEP CALM

Agree 100%. I had AP on my fantasy team last year (what a value pick he was) and know how long it took for him to hit his stride.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am

Deadskins wrote:
markshark84 wrote:RGIII is clearly not confident on his knee. That was obvious when he would come up from a hit holding it ---- even when not being hit on that knee.

When did you see that? I don't remember that ever happening even once. If it had, I would have been going nuts with worry. His problem was his footwork. He wasn't planting and following through on his throws. That is a sign that he's not 100% confident in the knee, but not a sign that there was any pain there.

The omly time I remeber it was right before the half. He was drill (clean hit) in the chest and there was no impact to his legs yet he got up really slow and limped around for a while.

Now he may have had a hip pointer or twisted his back causing a limp, but he was seriouly limping around. Then the Skins just drained the clock down w/o running another play.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:47 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

The omly time I remeber it was right before the half. He was drill (clean hit) in the chest and there was no impact to his legs yet he got up really slow and limped around for a while.

Now he may have had a hip pointer or twisted his back causing a limp, but he was seriouly limping around. Then the Skins just drained the clock down w/o running another play.

I saw that too, but didn't ever see him holding the knee.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:19 pm

Deadskins wrote:

What's strange is that's actually leaving weight on the repaired knee instead of delivering the momentum to the left side off of the repaired knee...
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

||||||

Postby EA7649 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:53 pm

I think that its good that we are facing the packers so early, because they are a challenging team. Even with a health qb, it would still be a difficult game to win, but manageable. And we have an early bye week which is good.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football