Postgame thread: Nothing to get worked up over

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby oneman56 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:51 pm

chiefhog44 wrote:
1niksder wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:
chiefhog44 wrote:
emoses14 wrote:No nfl team lets up with a less than 2 touchdown lead. That is stupid.

Don't kid yourself. The Eagles were taking the play clock down to 5 seconds in the second half and went into a prevent defense, when in the first half they were running plays every 18 seconds. How is that not a definition of letting up? And it wasn't 2 touchdowns...it was 33-7 dude.

+1

You don't blitz on almost every down when you are playing prevent defense...

McCoy got a little dinged up and that slowed their offense down, but they still continued to run their uptempo style.

They tried to eat up clock as time went on but only because they feared the Skins were catching up.

First off, I'm not freaking out about this loss, but I'm not going to let people sit here and say that we completely rallied back against a team who was waxing us in the 1st half all on our own account. Yes, it was good to see Robert come back a bit at the end, and I think it's going to take up until the bye week for this ship to get moving...BUT, the fact that the Eagles let up in the 2nd half from what their original game plan was, had a major impact on us getting back into this game. Eating up the clock was letting up. We couldn't stop them in the first half when they went quick and when they slowed down, it allowed us to get some blitz packages implemented and correct guys on the field while not sprinting. Going to a different defense (soft zone) then what they played in the first half is letting up. Come on, be honest with yourself. You're just arguing to argue. I'm just calling a spade a spade. I mean, you're honestly going to sit there and say that they didn't let the Skins have anything they wanted underneath in the 4th Qtr?

I'm kind of on both sides of this one. I agree with you that they let up a bit and ran plays slower and also called more runs and qb keeps. However, I disagree that we couldn't stop them in the first half. They only scored on short fields and turnovers. Our D was holding them and had our O been functioning at all then who knows. I give credit to Philly, they beat us and that's that. THeir O caused some issue, especially the first 2 drives, but after that we were fine aside from turnovers. So, yes Philly let up and yes we played like crap but the D did better than many are giving credit for. The incompetence of our offense lost the game, IMO.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:10 pm

The story of the game.
1: Turnovers.
2: Penalties. Of all issues, this concerns me the most.
3: Lousy field position for much of the game... The arrested learning curve of a rook PR didn't help (hope he figures it out... he's awfully talented to be languishing on the bench).
4: An ambush by a Steve Spurrier clone. There's film now... let's see how long it lasts.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby Kruncher » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:26 pm

oneman56 wrote:
chiefhog44 wrote:
1niksder wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:
chiefhog44 wrote:
emoses14 wrote:No nfl team lets up with a less than 2 touchdown lead. That is stupid.

Don't kid yourself. The Eagles were taking the play clock down to 5 seconds in the second half and went into a prevent defense, when in the first half they were running plays every 18 seconds. How is that not a definition of letting up? And it wasn't 2 touchdowns...it was 33-7 dude.

+1

You don't blitz on almost every down when you are playing prevent defense...

McCoy got a little dinged up and that slowed their offense down, but they still continued to run their uptempo style.

They tried to eat up clock as time went on but only because they feared the Skins were catching up.

First off, I'm not freaking out about this loss, but I'm not going to let people sit here and say that we completely rallied back against a team who was waxing us in the 1st half all on our own account. Yes, it was good to see Robert come back a bit at the end, and I think it's going to take up until the bye week for this ship to get moving...BUT, the fact that the Eagles let up in the 2nd half from what their original game plan was, had a major impact on us getting back into this game. Eating up the clock was letting up. We couldn't stop them in the first half when they went quick and when they slowed down, it allowed us to get some blitz packages implemented and correct guys on the field while not sprinting. Going to a different defense (soft zone) then what they played in the first half is letting up. Come on, be honest with yourself. You're just arguing to argue. I'm just calling a spade a spade. I mean, you're honestly going to sit there and say that they didn't let the Skins have anything they wanted underneath in the 4th Qtr?

I'm kind of on both sides of this one. I agree with you that they let up a bit and ran plays slower and also called more runs and qb keeps. However, I disagree that we couldn't stop them in the first half. They only scored on short fields and turnovers. Our D was holding them and had our O been functioning at all then who knows. I give credit to Philly, they beat us and that's that. THeir O caused some issue, especially the first 2 drives, but after that we were fine aside from turnovers. So, yes Philly let up and yes we played like crap but the D did better than many are giving credit for. The incompetence of our offense lost the game, IMO.

I would say that you don't send a blitzer every down in a prevent defense or just trying to give us the underneath stuff. RG3 and the O figured out after the first couple of blitzes to check down and burn them through hot reads and screens and it worked. I think once the shock of what the Eagles were doing wore off and the D started figuring it out we were fine. Unfortunately, it took too long for that to occur. But even that is not the reason we lost. The 4 turnovers are the main reasons and to me the main difference in this ball game. Everything else was a tail of two halves. The game eventually slowed because even the Eagles were getting gassed from the pace. It was all Vick could do to stand up by the middle of the 4th quarter. I liken this to when Spurrier came with the run and shoot and was successful for all of....6 games and then it was downhill. Chip Kelly's offense will shock people initially but it lacks the complexity and disguises to really fool NFL defensive coordinators. The next time we play them it will be a different story.

Hail! Im heading to GB Friday and hope we kick a little a$$.

Hog

Postby mastdark81 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:34 pm

Eagles offense is already overrated. No different than what the Rams did against us last year...just precision dink and donk down the field, except at a faster pace.

Surprised why we didn't bump and run the WRS like in the past that was so successful or why we are one of the only few teams in the NFL that do not have a true HURRY UP offense when needed. This has been going on since Gibbs 2.0.

Bad clock management as well.

Hog

Postby Burgundy&Wha? » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:23 pm

ACW wrote:
Burgundy&Wha? wrote:Everything was pressing, pressing, pressing. Even with all of that, the team battled back and were within a touchdown of winning. Actually, one missed field goal and not taking that safety would have meant we kick an extra point, rather than go for two, and it's a tie ball game. Nope, Philly fans should be happy but not crowing. Of course, they're not bright enough to realize that.
But by that standard we don't get that weird TD and we're back where we started...

We forced that turnover and touchdown. The Iggles didn't force the missed FG nor the fumble/safety.

swine

Postby masterkwon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:21 pm

It's bad enough to be dominated and embarrassed, but what made it worse was all the hype and over-hype leading up to the game then coming out and laying a major egg.

Cousins is ready to go, Bob3 clearly is not.

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:02 pm

masterkwon wrote:It's bad enough to be dominated and embarrassed, but what made it worse was all the hype and over-hype leading up to the game then coming out and laying a major egg.

I was thinking the same thing for most of the game except the 4th quarter.

MHO, the offense isn't used to Robert's timing and Robert isn't used to the timing of the game. He started to get there by game's end but I think he'll be 100% to form come Sunday.

The mechanics of the entire offense was off. Mostly, it seemed to be a matter of timing and communication; everyone was on a different page for a while. The o-line was the biggest fail factor in this game, but I think they too will be better soon.

RG3 works too hard not to get back up to par very quickly; he's our guy and we're lucky to have him.

Also, he will never be "ready" until he was thrown in the fire the way he was yesterday.

That said, lets take a moment to celebrate a little here...

Our biggest concern: Has Robert & Co. learned the lesson? I loved how he ran out of bounds and ran smart. I feel a lot more confident in his longevity now. We'll be seeing more read option soon I'm sure, but I think it will be more so for a few extra yards on the side; not trying to out-wrestle every LB & DB on the field.

Helu is an amazing change of pace back. Plus, he & Morris did some pretty nice blocking yesterday.

My biggest worry = penalties. We're nearly giving up 100 yards a game in penalties. Completely unacceptable even for a pee-wee football team. This needs to be addressed IMMEDIATELY. I think yesterday we had 70 yards in penalties.

This team has heart; they don't quit regardless of the score. We haven't had that in a very long time.

Lots of tightening up to do, but we'll explode after a couple weeks. Anything can happen this year, but in the long run, I think we're going to be dominant for a while.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:06 pm

Soooo the Fecals went into a prevent d... To prevent them selves from preventing us scoring 21unaswered points?
Fail.

Bob is only a sophomore, and had zero preseason- that showed. Last time he played he had his leg wrecked- that hesitation is natural. We had piss poor field position and the turnovers early were to.much to overcome. The doom and gloom or the Fecals let us back.in is a crock! No coach wants to let the other team dismantle a big lead and have a chance to win. We convert the previous fourth down and score, different game.. recover the onsides kick.. they possibly lose. If anyone thinks that was by design, pass the pipe Brah!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:02 am

masterkwon wrote:It's bad enough to be dominated and embarrassed, but what made it worse was all the hype and over-hype leading up to the game then coming out and laying a major egg.

Thanks, I just threw up on my keyboard.

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:23 pm

riggofan wrote:I'm not going to say I don't have some concerns, but seriously, you can't get too upset or too excited about a week 1 game. You guys know better.

My biggest concerns from the game last night were probably the penalties and maybe the o-line play. Regardless of all the other factors in that game, way too many penalties.

Was anyone excited after last year's week 1 game??????

I know I was.

People can say whatever they want if it helps them sleep better at night, but the truth is there are things to be concerned about. RGIII is clearly not confident on his knee. That was obvious when he would come up from a hit holding it ---- even when not being hit on that knee. It also doesn't help that his longest pass (out of 49 attempts) was 27 yards and he was 2-11 on throws over 15 yards. That said, RGIII will only get better and more confident.

Our offense looked nothing like the one we had last year. Our D was killed by what our O did to them.

Our OL wasn't any different than last year --- considering RGIII threw 49 passes on monday. His sack % was actually 1.5% points LOWER than last season.............

There is a lot of denial going on here. There are a good deal of things to be concerned about ---- the good thing; however, is that betting on RGIII to improve is a good one.

But to say that the "comeback" wasn't a by-product of a prevent style D is off base. And to the person that said they blitzed ---- they run a 3-4 D. The D scheme was to prevent 20+ yard plays, not to sit 4 deep. They will blitz at least one LB so they have 4 men rushing the QB.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:11 pm

And to that we scored on the non prevent D as well.. unless you thin gettin the lead down to six was part of the prevent.

Was there red flags about our O? yes. Did we see improvements? Yes. We will continue to see bob improve? Yes. Will our O preogress? Yep. Will rgiii make sophomore mistakes? You get the idea.. there as many positives as negatives from Monday night. We have a long ways to go but there was some good takeaways. With the sluggish start intensified by the mistakes it was refreshing to see rgiii put up some decent numbers- even if he was only taking what they were giving away.
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:17 pm

Not running the option as much, Pocket passing, Protecting himself on scrambles, no designed runs.... Good stuff to see for RGiiis longevity. Timing and accuracy will improve w playing time.. he is not Peyton manning in his fifth year, although the expectations on playing w no preseason were some how the same...

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:10 pm

markshark84 wrote:
riggofan wrote:I'm not going to say I don't have some concerns, but seriously, you can't get too upset or too excited about a week 1 game. You guys know better.

My biggest concerns from the game last night were probably the penalties and maybe the o-line play. Regardless of all the other factors in that game, way too many penalties.

Was anyone excited after last year's week 1 game??????

I know I was.

I was too, and that was exactly my point. We came out in week one and took it to the highly favored Saints and everybody got crazy excited. Then we proceeded to lose SIX of our next EIGHT games. I doubt you were feeling as excited around week 9 after we just got embarrassed at home by the Panthers.

I'm not saying we were wrong to get excited then or that you're wrong to get upset now. I said we should know better than to get TOO excited or upset after week 1.

I appreciate your six question marks though.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:01 am

Until Robert is 100%, we're going to struggle pretty significantly. I honestly don't expect a huge improvement this week in the offenses effectiveness.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:00 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Until Robert is 100%, we're going to struggle pretty significantly. I honestly don't expect a huge improvement this week in the offenses effectiveness.

I don't blame you for that comment, and you're probably right in the larger scheme of things. But don't you think we can improve the offense effectiveness significantly just by not turning the ball over on our first three possessions this Sunday?

That seems like something we actually CAN fix this week, could make a difference to both the offense and defense, and doesn't rest solely on RGIII.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football