Redskins against the Hurry Up offense

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:04 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:I agree, CLL. I finally got a pretty good look at Philly's new offense and I have to say I wasn't all that impressed. The problem with running a no huddle is that you don't have time to call sophisticated plays. The Eagles looked a lot like a college offense to me.

Our defense can play a little more reactive football and focus on pressuring Vick. I honestly don't see the Eagles outsmarting us, so it's all a question of whether or not we can disrupt their rhythm. A few three and outs and watch out, because our offense will get on a roll.

What I see really hurting us.... The screen. That will really be bad. Especially if it's on Orakpo's side.

It would have to be on 'Rak's side. Kerrigan is pretty good a sniffing out the screen and by my count has two pick-sixes (one last year) on the screen
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

Postby yupchagee » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:33 am

An effective hurry up requires a QB with some smarts.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:18 am

Countertrey wrote:I don't believe that they will ever get to 10-12 seconds. The officials determine how quickly the ball is available to put into play, and with the recent changes to the positioning of the Umpire, it's not likely that this can happen more frequently than 17-20 seconds. Beyond that, the speed will actually increase the frequency of contact with Vick... I don't believe he can work a progression of reads with enough efficiency to consistently get the ball out of his hands in time to avoid contact... and contact definitely slows Vick down.

^^ IMHO - this assessment is correct - it's not going to be possible to run plays as quickly in the NFL ...

AND

while the Eagles will try and run plays as quickly as possible, I don't see that being as effective with Vick - he's not going to be available if they choose to do this much
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:58 pm

How is the Eagles hurry-up offense different than the one Richie Petibon stopped in SB 26?

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:30 am

welch wrote:How is the Eagles hurry-up offense different than the one Richie Petibon stopped in SB 26?

This one is a college scheme. :P
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:41 am

Where I see us being vulnerable is the big play. If I were CK, I'd design plays to isolate Rambo in 1-1 situations. McCoy vs Rambo in the open field, I'd take McCoy almost every time.

Our front 7 is going to win/lose this game. They'll need to protect a young secondary.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:38 pm

welch wrote:How is the Eagles hurry-up offense different than the one Richie Petibon stopped in SB 26?

OTOH... I don't see Richie Pettibon on the Redskins sidelines...

Not that it will change the outcome... I think they will handle the Eagles, as long as they can slow down shady.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby SKINS#1 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:42 pm

Haslett has them using the Swift Package -

"Haslett's creative alignment, from left to right, starts with eighth-year pro Darryl Tapp, rookie Brandon Jenkins and Ryan Kerrigan taking three-point stances along the line of scrimmage. Orakpo stands up behind Kerrigan at right outside linebacker, while Perry Riley lines up at the left outside position, and London Fletcher, in his 16th season, mans the middle."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... k/2726901/

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:56 pm

yupchagee wrote:An effective hurry up requires a QB with some smarts.

Agree with this and SJ's comment as well. This is all I can think about when I hear Vick is going to be running this offense. For all of this talents, he is still good for a couple bonehead plays a game. Hanging on to the ball too long, throwing picks instead of throwing the ball away, etc;

I think Kelly will have a little advantage going into that game in that we can't know exactly what to expect. You could probably say the same thing about us with RGIII though.

Hog

Postby rick301 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:15 pm

riggofan wrote:

Agree with this and SJ's comment as well. This is all I can think about when I hear Vick is going to be running this offense. For all of this talents, he is still good for a couple bonehead plays a game. Hanging on to the ball too long, throwing picks instead of throwing the ball away, etc;

I think Kelly will have a little advantage going into that game in that we can't know exactly what to expect. You could probably say the same thing about us with RGIII though.

... not to mentions the new skins blitz packages we have yet to see

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:43 pm

rick301 wrote:
riggofan wrote:

... not to mentions the new skins blitz packages we have yet to see

Truth! Rak AND Kerrigan AND our secondary doesn't look like a complete disaster this season. Better strap that helmet on extra tight, Vick.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:17 pm

This has been my point all along.

DarthMonk wrote:I'd say we can be aggressive against a hurry up. Turn LeSean McCoy into a blocking back like we did Thurman Thomas in the Super Bowl against the, ahem, "K-gun." Turn hungry extra LBs loose on blitz packages we've not shown yet - again, like in that Super Bowl.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:25 pm

I believe that Haz has two things in place here...
A plan.
The weapons to execute his plan (including one highly motivated... and still talented... Darryl Tapp).

can't wait!
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:39 am

Countertrey wrote:

OTOH... I don't see Richie Pettibon on the Redskins sidelines...

Not that it will change the outcome... I think they will handle the Eagles, as long as they can slow down shady.

Ah, Richie...if only...

I remember that Petibon prepared against the Redskins offense. Gibbs installed the hurry-up, saying that the players, especially the re-fashioned Hogs, were so experienced and so smart that he could install any offense in a week.

Then Petibon practiced getting his player changes.

In the game, Petibon was mixing his defense just as usual, and Gibbs even ran the hurry-up a few times...and baffled the all-star Buffalo defense.

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:58 pm

Think a huge factor will be if we hang a large lead on the beagles early.....have them play in that hurry up offense from behind. Also, this will be their first game with new coaching staff, vice our team having been with same coaching staff for several seasons now. If the beagles will be dangerous in this "new" offense, I see that later in the season vice game one.
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football