Redskins against the Hurry Up offense

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Redskins against the Hurry Up offense

Postby SKINS#1 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:55 pm

I have read how the Eagles are improving with the hurry up offense with elapse time between plays in the 10-12 sec range. How do you think the defense will adapt to a faster pace, especially in 4th quarter?

I think this could cause problems for many teams as substitution could be limited.

Hog

Re: Redskins against the Hurry Up offense

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:09 pm

SKINS#1 wrote:I have read how the Eagles are improving with the hurry up offense with elapse time between plays in the 10-12 sec range. How do you think the defense will adapt to a faster pace, especially in 4th quarter?

I think this could cause problems for many teams as substitution could be limited.

Haz has been working up the stamina of the defense for this type of offense. I think they will be just fine defending against it.

We get a lot of fuss about our o-line & defense at times (defense majority of the time), but look how fast they progressed through last year. I mentioned this in another post, but lets not forget that our defense practices against our offense numerous times a week. Remember, our offense is one of the best in the league. I'd say that's enough to make men out of the boys.

What's really cool is how they are moving Kerrigan around to add in more pass rushers.

Lastly, a possible solution to this is just to have our offense run a few extra short plays to give the defense a few more mins of rest between drives. The team is practicing "behind the curtain" so I think we'll see some nice mad scientist schemes coming on this year both ways.

Good stuff!

DarthMonk

Re: Redskins against the Hurry Up offense

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:15 pm

SKINS#1 wrote:I have read how the Eagles are improving with the hurry up offense with elapse time between plays in the 10-12 sec range. How do you think the defense will adapt to a faster pace, especially in 4th quarter?

Note that if the offense subs then the defense must be given time to sub.

Having said that, a really effective measure is to 3-and-out the team in hurry-up and then sustain a long scoring drive on offense. Do that a few times and they start to think about giving THEIR defense a rest.

I call it the Monkey method.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:47 pm

I don't believe that they will ever get to 10-12 seconds. The officials determine how quickly the ball is available to put into play, and with the recent changes to the positioning of the Umpire, it's not likely that this can happen more frequently than 17-20 seconds. Beyond that, the speed will actually increase the frequency of contact with Vick... I don't believe he can work a progression of reads with enough efficiency to consistently get the ball out of his hands in time to avoid contact... and contact definitely slows Vick down.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:15 pm

Well put! We shall see... But imho there gonna have to move fast to avoid getting smashed by our defensive front!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby aswas71788 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:36 am

The hurry up offense is not new to the NFL. It has been around for a long time. The eagles will just run it more than most. It will be a problem but I believe our defense will adjust.

Hog

Postby FanofallthatisGibbs » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:24 pm

What darth said. If you stop it, they will stop it because their defense will be so winded after a couple drives that it would be torture to continue an ineffective hurry-up offense.

So the question remains - what is the key to forcing the O to make mistakes on the hurry up offense?

My guess is assignments. If the D plays disciplined, then the hurry up offense should not cause too many problems. Add to that strong pressure on the Qb and you have a recipe for success.

I actually think with a veteran like London Fletcher coaching on the field, the Redskins should be above average at worst against the hurry up offense. Teams that can audible at the line will do best against our young secondary. I think Denver will be a tough game for Washington defensively, for example.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:46 am

Didn't seem to be a problem vs the Bills' version of the hurry up...
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:48 am

If the offense changes personnel the defense must be given opportunity to make changes. I think we are going to have a nice rotation of players like this preseason where we sub out DE's for OLB's and just bring in a bunch of speed on 3rd down. Also will help keep the big guys fresh too.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:42 pm

FanofallthatisGibbs wrote:What darth said. If you stop it, they will stop it because their defense will be so winded after a couple drives that it would be torture to continue an ineffective hurry-up offense.

Joe T brought this up a lot during the Buffalo game.

FanofallthatisGibbs wrote:So the question remains - what is the key to forcing the O to make mistakes on the hurry up offense?

Yes.

FanofallthatisGibbs wrote:My guess is assignments. If the D plays disciplined, then the hurry up offense should not cause too many problems. Add to that strong pressure on the Qb and you have a recipe for success.

Discipline is always key on defense but perhaps even more so against the hurry-up.

FanofallthatisGibbs wrote:I actually think with a veteran like London Fletcher coaching on the field, the Redskins should be above average at worst against the hurry up offense. Teams that can audible at the line will do best against our young secondary. I think Denver will be a tough game for Washington defensively, for example.

This makes the same kind of sense as the "assignments" point - good sense.

If the offense is going uptempo then the defense has to be uptempo as well. We have to be ready when the ball is spotted too.

If we are extremely well prepared we might even be able to make some down-and-distance defensive substitutions whether the offense makes any of their own or not. Another method not tied to down-and-distance is to always replace the tackler if he's on our side of the near hash. He earns a breather and it's an easy substitution.

I'd say we can be aggressive against a hurry up. Turn LeSean McCoy into a blocking back like we did Thurman Thomas in the Super Bowl against the, ahem, "K-gun." Turn hungry extra LBs loose on blitz packages we've not shown yet - again, like in that Super Bowl.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:04 am

Hurry up punt offensive; all dressed up, nowhere to go.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:58 am

BTW - we ran roughly twice as many plays as the Bills did and at one point we 3-and-outed them 5 times in a row.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:44 am

While I like Vick, he's not Peyton... They'll win some battles, we'll win some.

The real story here is, how will their defense handle our run attack. How will they hold up if their fast paced offense goes 3 & Out consecutive times. If anyone will be worn down, it'll be them.

The no-huddle is a double edged sword and they don't have a QB that's consistent enough to make it less dangerous for them.

Our defense is great at takeaways, if Vick gives the ball away in conjunction with punting it away... It'll be their defense that's in for a long day, not ours.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:14 am

I agree, CLL. I finally got a pretty good look at Philly's new offense and I have to say I wasn't all that impressed. The problem with running a no huddle is that you don't have time to call sophisticated plays. The Eagles looked a lot like a college offense to me.

Our defense can play a little more reactive football and focus on pressuring Vick. I honestly don't see the Eagles outsmarting us, so it's all a question of whether or not we can disrupt their rhythm. A few three and outs and watch out, because our offense will get on a roll.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:16 am

Irn-Bru wrote:I agree, CLL. I finally got a pretty good look at Philly's new offense and I have to say I wasn't all that impressed. The problem with running a no huddle is that you don't have time to call sophisticated plays. The Eagles looked a lot like a college offense to me.

Our defense can play a little more reactive football and focus on pressuring Vick. I honestly don't see the Eagles outsmarting us, so it's all a question of whether or not we can disrupt their rhythm. A few three and outs and watch out, because our offense will get on a roll.

What I see really hurting us.... The screen. That will really be bad. Especially if it's on Orakpo's side.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football