Skins sign C/G Chester from Ravens

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:50 pm

The Baltimore Ravens and veteran center Casey Rabach have agreed to terms on a two-year contract.

We are so screwed. Rabach is obviously amazing. :shock:
XVII XXII XXVI

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:56 pm

HOW DID WE LET HIM GO?! This is an unmitigated disaster!
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:59 pm

andyjens89 wrote:
The Baltimore Ravens and veteran center Casey Rabach have agreed to terms on a two-year contract.

We are so screwed. Rabach is obviously amazing. :shock:

Rabach's going to sign with a team we play this year and singlehandedly beat us on the way to the Pro Bowl, like ever player we cut
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:24 pm

I always liked Rabach, I thought he was a good leader who was a cog on the line. His game slipped obviously but I'm surprised the staff thinks Montgomery is a better player.

I wish him luck, but kind of wish we had kept him.

Oh, btw, for those following on rotoworld's editorializing, they say Rabach is a "huge downgrade" from Matt Birk
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Postby yupchagee » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:17 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:
1niksder wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:
At least it is a ?, the OL is only marginally improved so we know it will be bad, just like last year. The only thing we have done to improve it was sign a Ravens' backup to "improve" one spot.

Very little change to the OL, means very little change to the OL!

He wasn't a Ravens backup

Okay, I think Chris Chester is going to help some, but showing he was temporarily first on the depth chart doesn't disprove the idea he is a backup. Chester was never the Ravens first choice to hit the field, but was always pressed into action by injury. Marshall Yanda was their starting RG, but an injury to tackle Jared Gaither forced him to slide to RT. That of course opened a spot for Chester.

The question isn't why he started but how well he plated when he started. Did sacks increase with him in the lineup? Did the run game degrade?
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:17 pm

He won't even see the field when we play them
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:42 am

Chris Chester - G - Redskins

Redskins RG Chris Chester hasn't missed a snap since signing his five-year, $20 million contract in July 2011.

That's 2,165 plays. Viewed as an overpay following the lockout, Chester did struggle in 2011, but was much improved in 2012. He graded out as Pro Football Focus' No. 10 right guard as the Redskins led the league in rushing. Chester is due an affordable $3 million each of the next two seasons.

Source: CSN Washington Jun 28 - 8:57 AM
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:51 am

Bringing in Chester is just 1 of many good additions this FO has made ... :lol:

kind of interesting to read some of the posts from 2011 :twisted:
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

Hog

Postby Burgundy&Wha? » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:47 am

I wasn't a fan of Rabach and am not surprised he hasn't done much since leaving. I'd made comments about him in the game day threads that some didn't like, but he always seemed to be a weak link, to me. Wish him well in life, but glad we have Montgomery in that slot now.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:48 am

SkinsJock wrote:Bringing in Chester is just 1 of many good additions this FO has made ... :lol:

kind of interesting to read some of the posts from 2011 :twisted:

Not a single post from me... Not surprising because I'm not well versed on who is good bad along the offensive line.

However, it would be fun to retroactively view threads and see who was dead wrong. LOLOLOL
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:01 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:
1niksder wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:
1niksder wrote:
spudstr04 wrote:Hopefully Foerster can coach him up.

Use to play for Foerster

I think he's got a chance at making the offensive line better

I wonder why this addition, that could possibly help here, is seen as a bad move? :roll:

Everyone else is way over-paying players right now but we're the ones singled out - :lol:

It's because he signed with the Redskins is my guess.

He's considered a backup yet started 14 games last year, 13 in 2009 and 11 in 2008. How many backups can you name that started 38 out of 48 games over 3 years? His contract averages $4M a year.

Read my link above. He started in each of those three seasons because of injuries to starters. The Ravens weren't interested in bringing him back except as a backup player.

Their loss, our gain!
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football